Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1 in 4 E-Reader Owners Wish They'd Waited for iPad

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 1 in 4 E-Reader Owners Wish They'd Waited for iPad

In potentially very good news for Apple, 27% of people who recently bought an e-reader say that they wish they had waited and bought an iPad instead, according to a new survey by market research firm ChangeWave. Less than half would stick with their recent purchase, but thirty percent were unsure, which may be an indication that sales of the iPad may skyrocket if early reviews are positive and people have fun playing with friends' iPads. But initial sales are quite likely to be slow: most potential iPad buyers surveyed said they'd wait at least a few months before getting one.

One of the big questions on market researchers' minds - a question that is also probably keeping the top brass at Apple awake at night - is how many people will want to buy this new device. Many consumers are still unclear on just what an iPad is (an e-reader? a keyboardless web browser? a touchscreen video player?) or why they would want one. So ChangeWave chose one of these markets - e-book readers - to gauge consumer interest. Looking at people who said they wanted to get an e-reader in the next three months, 40% said they planned to buy an iPad, with only 28% saying they wanted a Kindle, and a mere 6% looking at the Nook. Only 1% of those surveyed said they planned to buy a Sony Reader.

However, most users who expect to buy the iPad say they want to use it for web browsing rather than e-book reading. 68% say they are getting it to surf the web, 44% say they'll use the iPad to check their email, with only 37% of likely buyers planning to read e-books. 28% say they'll use the iPad to read magazines and newspapers, and 24% will watch video.

Though just 13% of survey respondents said they were somewhat or very likely to buy an iPad, ChangeWave compared these numbers to a similar survey they did before the iPhone was launched, and found that there is more interest in the iPad than there was in the iPhone. Back in April 2007, two months before the first iPhone was released, just 9% of respondents said they were somewhat or very likely to buy one. That could be a very good sign that the market is ready for Apple's new device, since there was no question about what the iPhone was or why you'd want one; and furthermore the initial price of the iPhone was pretty high.

However, most likely buyers are taking a wait-and-see attitude: just 16% say they'll buy within the first month; 20% will wait two or three months, and 23% will wait four to six months. 8% of respondents say that they would wait more than a year.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ro0oney's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah good question
    what is an ipad for?
    first i thought it does like what a normal tablet does. but what a shame it doesn't even have a usb in it!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Those 27% must have bought Sony, lol.

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

i think that ebook reader is the only thing that the ipad does right. other than that, i would never buy one, ever!

As much as I love my iPhone, why would you shell out the money for an iPad if you're just going to be using it for browsing mostly? You can buy a laptop that does more for the same/lower price. o.O

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meh View Post
    As much as I love my iPhone, why would you shell out the money for an iPad if you're just going to be using it for browsing mostly? You can buy a laptop that does more for the same/lower price. o.O
    You could've bought a phone that does more than the iphone, but you didn't. Why?
    To live, you have to lie

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

1 in 4 is very small number...
    Now with the news about Microsoft reader, that will drop a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by pyromcr View Post
    i think that ebook reader is the only thing that the ipad does right. other than that, i would never buy one, ever!
    Also play iPhone games, but for all the people that has an iPhone it then become what you are saying.
    Last edited by unison999; 03-07-2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1 in 1 think that their ereaders are useless piles of human excrement.

oh, and my new sig is mad sexy

Default e-readers
    I cant imagine myself reading books with e-reader... Its just doesn´t feel right.

The iPad will not make a good e-reader unless you enjoy wearing sunglasses whenever you read.

There's a reason people don't read books on netbooks and laptops and it has nothing to do with the form factor. The display is too bright.

Thanks

I think apple is late on the ebook reader game. I need to buy one enjoy it and then put it on ebay. I more than likely will wait til next year so I am in the low 8%. What is the ipad for again?

Thanks

Those e-reader have droped the prices.