Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is a Mac App Store in The Works?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Is a Mac App Store in The Works?

There may be reason to think that a Mac app store could be in the works. The speculation about such a development ensued after Apple suddenly instituted a single low price for developer licenses. Retiring the old and much more expensive tiered system, Apple is now believed to be working on a Mac App Store to follow the trail blazed by the iTunes App Store.

The logical inference, of course, is rooted in the belief that a nearly dirt cheap $99 Mac developer license will prove sufficient to inspire developers far and wide to create a plethora of new apps for a potential Mac App Store. Now on par with the annual cost to developers creating iPhone apps, Apple appears to be working toward an environment conducive to a plethora of new content offerings.

The price reduction of the Mac developer license coinciding with the announced April 3rd arrival of the iPad suggests Apple is primed and ready to ramp up Mac-driven applications to help drive sales of the tablet and also increase consumer satisfaction and the range of activities iPad owners can engage in.

If a Mac App Store does ultimately manifest, it's a safe bet that the iPad will soon thereafter be inundated with a wide array of new offerings, most of which will likely center on gaming and news or other relevant publisher's content.
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 03-05-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

ORLY? Better get your Mac now before you have to jailbreak it to load the apps you want!

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

something wrong right in the middle of that screen, wait, what is that? a blue lego brick?

hmmmmm

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lolcats1 For This Useful Post:

Rota (03-05-2010)

Thanks

It already exists, its called Bodega

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Brick!
    Last edited by Bluprint; 03-05-2010 at 02:30 PM.

when the ipad launches, i'm going to stand outside the door, where the fanboys have been waiting for a whole day outside, and hand out blue lego bricks.

i'll be like get used to it beeyotch!

Hmmm, I am not sure how to feel about this. So many of my apps are free apps, I really don't see a problem with the current system.
    But I guess I am excited for Steam to come to Mac OS, so maybe an easier to control app store would be nice assuming I can do things like I always have done (not going to see DVD rippers and emulators on a Mac App store).

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    when the ipad launches, i'm going to stand outside the door, where the fanboys have been waiting for a whole day outside, and hand out blue lego bricks.

Genius! Please video.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrNoSox View Post
    ORLY? Better get your Mac now before you have to jailbreak it to load the apps you want!
    You read my mind. I bet they would love to do this. It probably will be a 'feature' of the OS they replace OS X with.

NO NO NO! This is not the way applications, ESPECIALLY on a personal computer, should be distributed!!

Do you seriously have to pay a fee to develop for Mac??
    Last edited by n00neimp0rtant; 03-05-2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

FINALLY! I do not know what has taken them sooooo long to do this, it would be so simple (for them) to set up and would obviously grow the desktop/laptop applications market quickly and easily!!! Not to mention grow their profits for distributing the apps. They are already set up through the itunes module and could just port all of the info that already exists on: Apple - Downloads

As is, you have to either buy the retail box via the Apple (brick and motor) store, another retail vendor or straight from the developers website. At this point, this is still a rumor, so we will see what happens but it just doesn't make any sense for them not to have ALL applications available, direct to download.

Ok, I'll get off my lazy rant now...

And:
    @ Fodd1337 - Thanks for that info, did not know about Bodega: Your corner store for Mac apps

@ n00neimp0rtant - Yes and you should have to pay. It helps weed out A LOT of the crap apps that would be coming in for approval (and holding up the good ones) if anyone was allowed to join and submit...

Thanks Fodd1337. I didn't know about Bodega until now. I've been going through Apple.com and that s--t sucks.

Livin the iPhone Life wannabprogramma's Avatar
    Thanks

haha everybody should go to their local apple stores and hand out blue legos it would be EPIC

hey lolcats i thought it was soo funny it got my sig you are a genius
    Last edited by wannabprogramma; 03-05-2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    The Next Generation of Phreaks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

they are making an app store for everything!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

How is this different from a repository manager? They'll be handling purchases as well?

People would absolutely raaage.

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post

Hmmm. So does your therapist know of your lust for blue lego? Not to worry. Flash is on the fade, and it'll go into the hall of lame, like the eight track and beta video. I'm sorry to all the tightassed, pimply faced, whiney gamers who play their flash games one handed, but old technology always gets pushed aside. So don't forget your KY gel when standing in front of the fanboys, coz they gunna want to put those lego bricks somewhere dude !! He he he.