+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Real Reason Apple Will Not Support Flash?

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default The Real Reason Apple Will Not Support Flash?

The drama surrounding Apple's refusal to support Flash on the iPhone and iPod (and soon, iPad) has been long and acrimonious. Apple CEO Steve Jobs has made a series of caustic comments about Flash and its corporate developers, calling Adobe "lazy" and Flash a "CPU hog." Now, however, a Flash developer has weighed in with an alternate - and intriguingly simple - explanation for the banishment of Flash: namely, the lack of a mouse pointer on a touchscreen.

Morgan Adams, an interactive content developer, wrote a note to Dan Dilger, who has been doing a series of video blogs on his RoughlyDrafted site debunking what he calls the "ten myths of Apple's iPad," such as "It’s just a big iPod touch," and "It needs cameras." Adams wrote in response to his myth #2: "it needs Flash." Dilger redid his videoblog on that point, incorporating what this Flash developer had to say.

His argument was this: beyond all the complaints about speed and security, there is one fatal flaw with Flash on the iPhone's touchscreen: Flash animations need a mouse pointer - and an interface that can distinguish between hovering and actual clicking - to function normally. Hulu's Flash player is held up as an example of the difference: hovering the mouse pointer of the bottom of the screen brings up the controller, while clicking is for pause/resume.

The practical rejoinder is that workarounds could be created for touchscreen Flash players, but Adams details numerous such solutions and finds them all wanting.
    • "every Flash app on every site is re-thought by its designers and re-coded by its programmers (if they’re even still available), just for touchscreens:" either removing mouseovers altogether, or making "touchscreen/non-touchscreen" versions of each bit of content, and Adams safely predicts that is not going to happen
    • "Gestures, finger gymnastics or extra physical buttons are created that simulate mouseover:" which Adams dismisses as "absurd" and a violation of good user interface design
    • "requiring a double-tap or two-finger tap before anything is registered:" confusing, and doesn't allow for movement: dragging vs. a moving mouseover.
    • "have a visible mouse pointer near your finger, and not interact with things directly:" again, confusing, requiring the user to distinguish between "direct touch mode" or “drag the arrow” mode on different parts of the screen
    • "Require extra force for a “real” tap:" Adams calls this option "non-intuitive, cramp-inducing, and easy for the user to get wrong."
    So after all is said and done, even more than being a drain on the iPad's battery or CPU intense (which Adobe admits it is), Flash may be just too much of a deviation from what they've come to expect from a touch interface to be usable even if it were reworked for touchscreens. Users would no longer know what to expect when all the rules are suddenly changed on one part of the screen. And as Adams [ame="http://forums.appleinsider.com/showpost.php?p=1574343&postcount=58"]noted on AppleInsider's forum[/ame], people "would hate that broken promise much more than they hate gaps in pages, missing banner ads, and the need to download a game once from the App Store instead of re-downloading it every time they visit a Flash game page."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2xrAAhAsDw&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Ten Myths of Apple's iPad: 2. It needs Flash[/ame]

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Why not have a mouse pointer that is not directly underneath your finger? Make it scroll 1/4 inch to one side or the other with a click option elsewhere on the screen.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

A new report asserts that the GPU unit that Apple baked into its A4 chip powering the iPad lacks full OpenGL ES 2.0 support, a major problem for games and allegedly the reason why the tablet won’t run Flash Player 10.1.

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/...chip-20100222/
    Last edited by Bluprint; 02-22-2010 at 02:57 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Why not have a mouse pointer that is not directly underneath your finger? Make it scroll 1/4 inch to one side or the other with a click option elsewhere on the screen.
    ""have a visible mouse pointer near your finger, and not interact with things directly:" again, confusing, requiring the user to distinguish between "direct touch mode" or “drag the arrow” mode on different parts of the screen"

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

as for the hovering option ummm same on modmyi when you hover over the news or downloads tabs at the top a window popus up, and when you click it registers and goes to the link. i go to modmyi on my iphone a lot in the normal view, and all that happens is you click on the news or downloads then the window box thing shows up then you click again and the actually link is opened. couldn't this be what would happen with the hovering?

Thanks

there are two solutions to this problem.

the blackberry's click screen, where you can "hover" or click.

or you can use a click wheel, like with android devices. i think that click screen would work better

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think the only thing I can take from articles like this that this time I will not rush out and buy. This time I think I will wait a while and let the so called experts dissect this devise just to see what it is capable of.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

The best solution to this problem is for users to cut the Adobe cord and move on with life.

Thanks

Wow everyone is just realizing this?

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

I think we're all missing the point here, it's sooo simple:

"Maemo" supports flash,
    "S60" supports flash,
    "Windows mobile" suppots flash,

If you develop an app, that runs perfectly in flash: there is no exclusivity, it won't matter if you have a N900, a Hero or an iPhone, Apple won't make a penny, there toy is no longer specal.
    This isn't perfect of course, apps like "tomtom" and games like "monkeyball" will still have to be a installed app, but I bet a great percentage of the app store would work fine in flash.

Don't get me wrong, I love the iPhone, I love my iPhone, Apple are a fantastic company, and I really really hope they DONT allow flash, but it's really quite simple:

If the iPhone had flash.... webapps would be really, really good.

Peas

11. The Following User Says Thank You to norfskate For This Useful Post:

marleny (07-21-2010)

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,932 Times in 755 Posts

Apple didn't think it through, too busy thinking £££££ or for those in the US $$$$$ 'The apple maggot!!!'

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dsg For This Useful Post:

jdyates (02-22-2010)

Thanks

Thank God. Now people can shut up about wanting Flash for the iPhone.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

the only thing that i use flash for on my computers is youtube. and well, the iphone os has a youtube app. so i dint see the point to slow the device down with flash...

Green Apple
    Thanks

I just want to be able to watch embedded videos from any site, not just ones that have been designed to play on iphone. Honestly, I could care less about a mouse pointer.

Thanks

The iPhone was supposed to be a game changer during launch right? Revolutionary phone and iPod? Multi-touch? Why not make the ability to hold down two fingers, and once a third finger is sensed, it will create a mouse pointer? It won't interfere with the iPhone 3GS's zoom either. Revolutionary.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Its excuses from Apple by blamming other people for their lack of development or they just want to monopolize everything...

Anyway Nokia does it perfectly since like ages ago. The rest is following Android, Palm Pre, BlackBerry, sooooo the explanation above is just not acceptable....Steve keep on saying iphone/ipad is the future mobile device. Faqs that it fail to make FLASH up and running after this years said it all.

Thanks

i love how the flash was lagging on the videos and he would only show it playing for 1-2 sec before switching out of it and talking about something else.
    killall Terminal[]

iPhone? More like MyPhone clikzip's Avatar
    Thanks

]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluprint View Post
    A new report asserts that the GPU unit that Apple baked into its A4 chip powering the iPad lacks full OpenGL ES 2.0 support, a major problem for games and allegedly the reason why the tablet won’t run Flash Player 10.1.

iPad allegedly can't run Flash due to sub-par graphics of the A4 chip ? Cell Phones & Mobile Device Technology News & Updates | Geek.com
    I was really disappointed that the tablet didnt run os-x. I dont care about the apps, I have my iPhone for that. I thought it would just be a big touch screen laptop. Instead its just a big iPhone, epic fail IMO

Last edited by clikzip; 02-22-2010 at 07:28 PM.
    Add me up on xbox live gamertag clikzip.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to clikzip For This Useful Post:

hollow0 (02-23-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

So basically the iPad and iPhone won't be using flash...which is what's been said since the beginning....no change.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No way, the real reason is that Apple dont want people playing free flash Games, when they can make money by getting a part of the sales of the app store