+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Free Hulu For iPad Not Likely?

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Shortly after the iPad's official introduction last month, many (myself included) couldn't help but envision the innumerable digital content providers that the tablet virtually beckoned to by mere virtue of
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Free Hulu For iPad Not Likely?

Shortly after the iPad's official introduction last month, many (myself included) couldn't help but envision the innumerable digital content providers that the tablet virtually beckoned to by mere virtue of its existence. One of the streaming video services at the forefront of such consideration, naturally, was Hulu, the second largest video streaming entity in existence.

For several weeks here on ModMyi we've provided updates on the status of a possible Hulu relationship with the iPad. When morsels of news or speculation would manifest, we'd jump all over it. During our most recent inquiry into the possible Hulu-iPad marriage, there was widespread talk of Hulu possibly coming to the iPad free of charge.

Seem to go to be true? It looks as though it is.

This weekend we're hearing that its all but certain that Hulu will, indeed, reach the iPad - but with a yet-to-be-determined price tag. Obviously, its a huge disappointment to many, but like the major content providers that keep Hulu up and running (NBC, ABC, Fox, etc.), the streaming video service requires income. And if the present flash-based advertising model for Hulu will have to be scrapped in order to accommodate the anti-flash iPad, Hulu has got to take a profit somehow.

So the mystery of whether or not Hulu will come to the iPad has been all but officially solved. The biggest mystery now is just how much Hulu will charge and how their iPad revenue model will work.

Will you pay for Hulu on the iPad?
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 02-20-2010 at 12:55 AM.

Thanks

naw. i dont buy this. Hulu will gain its advertising funds without charging a fee. it will be a dry market if they do.
    killall Terminal[]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple won't allow it. It'll take away from iTunes.

Thanks

What about ads through Quattro or did Apple buy this by mistake?

Thanks

i would pay 10 dollars for a NO advertising app for hulu
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I am somewhat confused here.

Since Hulu will have to convert all their videos to a format that is compatible with Apple/Ipad then why is it such a big deal to convert the ads as well?

This way they keep their ads and Hulu stays free. Although I agree with the above poster that a $10 ad-free Hulu would be worth it on any format.

Thanks

Same 10$, even if it was a yearly fee I'd do it. I could get rid of my cable bill( witch I'm planning to do anyway).

Thanks

You know none of this nonesense would be necessary if the dang ipad had flash. Saw a nexus one demo mobile flash yesterday, and it was smooth.

Thanks

Same here....will pay $10.00 for Hulu Flash.

Thanks

Any word on it working on iphones as well?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
    Any word on it working on iphones as well?
    what. flash? no, it's never going on there. because apple is too proud to admit that they were wrong, and still are wrong.

it's not adobe's fault that flash doesn't work well on my macbook, it's apple's. they built the dang machine.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GTOpilot View Post
    I am somewhat confused here.

Since Hulu will have to convert all their videos to a format that is compatible with Apple/Ipad then why is it such a big deal to convert the ads as well?

This way they keep their ads and Hulu stays free. Although I agree with the above poster that a $10 ad-free Hulu would be worth it on any format.
    The advertisement integration on Hulu is a hell of a lot more than just videos between ads. It's a logistical nightmare switching from a web-browsing experience where you can get away with things like ad pop-ups, layovers, interactive ads and switching to a video only option like the iPhone.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

i HAVE proof that the iphone needs flash. where else could you play this marvelous game?

Throw Rocks at ****

Green Apple
    Thanks
    If iTampon would just work with MacOS instead, the problem would have been solved.

Green Apple
    Thanks

AppleInsider | Hulu for Apple iPad likely to be a pay-only service - report <- little more info there. Looks like the hulu will most likely not be available at the launch of the iPad, but Apple "would love it" if they could make the time frame. Does this mean that Apple approves of hulu? I would think that it would take away from itunes sales...

I too would happily pay $10 for a Hulu app, hell I would pay $10 just to keep using Hulu as is!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Hulu is basically converting their videos for a different market because theres no chance they're ever going to be approved in the app sore. Apple has made it clear that iTunes will be your only source for tv shows, movies, cartoons, renting, podcasting, downloading, etc.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't agree that Apple won't allow iTunes. I do agree that Messany and other MMI writers should probably proofread their articles before posting (the grammar in this site is brutal). I Hulu was available outside the US, I'd definitely pay for it. Oh, and Appla doesn't have to approve of Hulu if it runs in Safari, and it can do that without Flash

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What is so great about Hulu? I've seen much better video sites than Hulu without the annoying video ads in the beginning. Only 5 episodes of each show? Can somebody please explain why it is so great and people are begging for it to be on the iPhone and the pad.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fall3N iZ DoWn View Post
    What is so great about Hulu? I've seen much better video sites than Hulu without the annoying video ads in the beginning. Only 5 episodes of each show? Can somebody please explain why it is so great and people are begging for it to be on the iPhone and the pad.
    Masturbation.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edge777 View Post
    I don't agree that Apple won't allow iTunes. I do agree that Messany and other MMI writers should probably proofread their articles before posting (the grammar in this site is brutal). I Hulu was available outside the US, I'd definitely pay for it. Oh, and Appla doesn't have to approve of Hulu if it runs in Safari, and it can do that without Flash
    Apple won't allow iTunes? Surely you mean Hulu... Take your own advice man and proofread your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Fall3N iZ DoWn View Post
    Hulu is nice because it has so many shows from several networks all on one website. It's very convenient to have everything in one place. Also everything is very clean and it just works.