+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HP Undercutting iPad Pricing With 3G Capable Slate Device?

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
There is nothing better than some competition between companies! The Wallstreet Journal reports companies such as Sony, Dell, and Acer are reportedly all developing iPad competitors in one form or
    Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Default HP Undercutting iPad Pricing With 3G Capable Slate Device?

There is nothing better than some competition between companies! The Wallstreet Journal reports companies such as Sony, Dell, and Acer are reportedly all developing iPad competitors in one form or another. However HP is looking at undercutting the iPad on pricing as a significant component to that strategy.

Even though HP's Slate was briefly demoed at CES in Vegas a few weeks before Apple announced the iPad, HP is being quiet about the details on the specs and pricing of the device and was waiting for Apple to release the iPad so they could make adjustments to respond competitively.

Executives from HP will meet in the U.S. and Taiwan to tweak out prices and features on an upcoming keyboardless computer dubbed the Slate. HP has discussed selling a version of the Slate similar to the iPad in size and features, and including a cellular connection for a price below the $629 Apple charges for an equivalent iPad, one of these people said.

My question is will the PC companies have the right products to compete against the iPad and will this make Apple lower its price on the iPad? Sure would be nice wouldn't it.

https://www.wallstreetjournal.com
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 02-17-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: added image

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

Whatever will make apple drop ipad prices will make me happy.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

very interesting...

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice. Apple got some competition right out of the gate. Unlike the zune, They were five years too late to the party.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Pc's have been undercutting Mac's for years, do you really think that Hp's "tablet" pricing will scare Apple into lowering their prices? HP may have done it first, but Apple knows they will do it better.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wow, a PC being priced lower than an Apple, thats new. Also why is the article written as if Apple was the FIRST to come up with a slate. I distinctly remeber the Crunchpad which was being worked on when Apple was still trying to get iPhone MMS straightened out. As far a capabilities the big iPod Touch (iPad) is not that impressive. When they put a real OS on it (OS X), then I'll see the iPad being something special, but for now it just the iTouch PLUS.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

able to install programs would be great, plus if it has fast processor and video processor then it is a more powerful system. If I am getting touch pad device HP would be my choice to get, after all I already got an iPhone.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

A touchscreen PC like an iPad with an OS, Im ready to buy it, bye bye useless giant iPod touch...
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

if the GPU and CPU is same or slightly the same as the ipad id definitely take it over the ipad 100% cuz i already have an iPad nano , that can make phone calls and all the same crap as this overrated(by apple of course) item. pluss if its anything like tablets ive seen, it should even be able to run most windows programs, which is way better then an iPhone OS...
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

Thanks

whats the build of materials costs on this bro?
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

Hey even though it dose seem like this thing is going to be just a big iTouch i still may get one im not even going to lie... Maybe the jailbreak of the iPad will make it more attractive...

I am a definite Apple fan but ive been keeping my eye on another tablet the "Notion Ink's Adam Tablet with Pixel Qi Display" So far this thing is pretty damn impressive expect that it runs Android OS which i know nothing about but im thinkin if you can customize the software it is definitely a contender.
    King Los aka Los Ninyo

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

An iPad even jailbreaked for me is useless, what you can do different with an iPad jailbreaked as an iPhone or iPod touch jailbreaked? (the same thing)

Im an apple fan too, but the truth is the truth

I don't have to be a profet to guess that it was about to happen...

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post

There is nothing better than some competition between companies! The Wallstreet Journal reports companies such as Sony, Dell, and Acer are reportedly all developing iPad competitors in one form or another. However HP is looking at undercutting the iPad on pricing as a significant component to that strategy.

Even though HP's Slate was briefly demoed at CES in Vegas a few weeks before Apple announced the iPad, HP is being quiet about the details on the specs and pricing of the device and was waiting for Apple to release the iPad so they could make adjustments to respond competitively.

Executives from HP will meet in the U.S. and Taiwan to tweak out prices and features on an upcoming keyboardless computer dubbed the Slate. HP has discussed selling a version of the Slate similar to the iPad in size and features, and including a cellular connection for a price below the $629 Apple charges for an equivalent iPad, one of these people said.

My question is will the PC companies have the right products to compete against the iPad and will this make Apple lower its price on the iPad? Sure would be nice wouldn't it.

https://www.wallstreetjournal.com
    Last edited by javiert30; 02-18-2010 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ipad is a waste of money, very very limited to use, guys wake up.. Win7 is multi touch soon, ipad does not allow flash player, 80% content websites use flash, hppad....what a touch.

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

the biggest issue with this HP device will be power. it will probably have a usable battery life (if running windows anything) of about 2 hours.
    i can't wait to buy my iPad....

Thanks

Comparing ipad to Linux or win based os makes modbook owners happy

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Battery life I assume will be 5 hrs minimum on hp which is worth it, netbooks in uk have 15hrs battery life already, tablet should arround the same,

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Bring on the competition!
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Sweet. A real touchpad. I'm so there. Apple needs to get off of it's crippled OS and bring us Snowleopard to the iPad. I would much rather have the iPad, but not with it's limitation.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DirtyDan's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the software is what will make the biggest advantage here... some people say they don't like the iPhone OS on the iPad, but honestly for something that's not meant to replace a regular computer I think a full blown OS would be too much.

HP will probably run some form of Windows, Starter Edition or Mobile etc.

If they really wanted to compete, they should put Android on it. That would give Apple a run for it's money.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It will kill the ipad if used Andoid os

I mean Android os
    Last edited by djarben; 02-18-2010 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost