+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Thousands Sign iPad Anti-DRM Petition

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Originally Posted by lolcats1 lol i thought this forum was about the ipad. guess not. It is an Apple Forum
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    lol i thought this forum was about the ipad. guess not.
    It is an Apple Forum
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    LOL, it pretty much does the opposite.
    And do you think if everything went DRM free that things would be pirated less? Piracy has very very little to do with DRM. It exists because some people are do damn cheap to pay for things. If digital media was DRM free it's not gonna make people pay for it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

WAIT...if I'm reading this right...does this mean Apple will be, in theory, able to "unjailbreak" your iphone/ipod/ipad? Or did I just misread this here?

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by giancarlo View Post
    yea it does....but it stops a few....instead of letting it all go to hell

oh and Kart Racer...it's not illegal to make backup copies of movies/cd's that you own. It's illegal to sell the copies for profit.
    Last time I checked it was still illegal to use any software that cracks the CSS copy protection put in place on the overwhelming majority of commercial DVDs. So you own a copy of a dvd in your collection but the means to produce that copy is still illegal.

...loosely reminds me of how they overturned marihuana tax act of 1937.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    Also, on a quick tangent of gun control, Arizona is loosening up it's laws even more this year. Pretty soon guns won't need to be registered and a permit won't be required for concealed carry. We're going back to the Wild West out here!
    I like what I'm hearing, good for Arizona!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I miss the days in Texas where everyone had a beer in one hand and a gun in the other!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattylee View Post
    Seriously, if you don't like it, DON'T BUY IT.

There's plenty of other phones out there for people who want their 'freedom'.
    Straight up. I mean, you can't go around telling other companies what to do. Choosing to grant their users complete or no freedom is their own decision, and even if DRM-free is better for the people, Apple can do what it needs to. I'm sick of people complaining that Apple isn't doing this and isn't doing that, and though they're restrictive, petitioning isn't going to do anything, lmao, nor is posting in a forum. Just like with Mac's in the 90's, people need to either deal with the tough restrictions and rules, or go somewhere else that has more freedom. It's like going to China and arguing for more rights when you're allowed to come to the US or any other country that will grant you the freedom you want.

Quote Originally Posted by mudrock1000 View Post
    WAIT...if I'm reading this right...does this mean Apple will be, in theory, able to "unjailbreak" your iphone/ipod/ipad? Or did I just misread this here?
    lmao, if they figure out how to, maybe. But it seems pretty impossible, and will bring the company a lot of bad publicity as Apple knows, so they're not going to exactly try and force-unjailbreak phones, but rather just make it so that jailbreaking is not possible.
    Last edited by yahoowizard; 02-09-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mudrock1000 View Post

Apple has a kill-switch function that gives them the ability to kill any app on your phone. This function has never been used and is there only as a last resort. You can use SBSettings to disable this killswitch (under Extras & Option) but again, there's a very low chance they're going to ever come close to using it. That's all they can do, they can't "un-jailbreak" your phone.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    And do you think if everything went DRM free that things would be pirated less? Piracy has very very little to do with DRM. It exists because some people are do damn cheap to pay for things. If digital media was DRM free it's not gonna make people pay for it.
    actually, less DRM is a good thing. DRM makes the products inflexible. incompatible with working from music player to music player, for example. with gaming software, it often causes crashes and log-in problems. in these cases, people who like to get their music via their computer only had one choice:

Buy the DRM-infected music and expect to not be able to play it on another manufacturer's MP3 player...or download a DRM-free MP3 via discouraged channels. people opt for the later and not only because it was free. It also often times means having to remember passwords and other limiting features.

I have actually bought albums online, then turned around and download the album via FLAC through...alternate means...because I wasn't satisfied with the quality of my MP3's. I thought they could have been encoded better. Am I wrong for that? I don't think so. I just wanted better quality. Can't beat FLAC, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    You can use SBSettings to disable this killswitch (under Extras & Option) but again, there's a very low chance they're going to ever come close to using it. That's all they can do, they can't "un-jailbreak" your phone.
    thanks for the tip!
    Last edited by adrian1480; 02-09-2010 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yahoowizard View Post
    I mean, you can't go around telling other companies what to do.
    Tell that to Apple.

[quote=yahoowizard;5118551]...petitioning isn't going to do anything.../QUOTE]

Really? Well why bother ever trying to change anything. Let's just keep eating what they shovel us.

It's like going to China and arguing for more rights when you're allowed to come to the US or any other country that will grant you the freedom you want.
    Did you seriously try to compare this to human rights in China? This is by far the most idiotic portion of an already incompetent and sheepish post. The world would be an entirely different place if people didn't stand up against the man, be it of a corporate, political, or whatever type. I'm sure you're a fan of the Patriot Act.

Personally, I am in complete agreement with the creators of the petition and I signed it the moment I heard about it. Many of these things they discuss seem insignificant now but they need to be addressed and fixed before Apple and others set a restrictive and controlling precedent for the industry to follow and expand upon in the future.

Thanks

Straight up. I mean, you can't go around telling other companies what to do. Choosing to grant their users complete or no freedom is their own decision, and even if DRM-free is better for the people, Apple can do what it needs to. I'm sick of people complaining that Apple isn't doing this and isn't doing that, and though they're restrictive, petitioning isn't going to do anything, lmao, nor is posting in a forum. Just like with Mac's in the 90's, people need to either deal with the tough restrictions and rules, or go somewhere else that has more freedom. It's like going to China and arguing for more rights when you're allowed to come to the US or any other country that will grant you the freedom you want.
    so in your analogy, Apple = China?

and you're good with that?

just curious. fortunately for us, Apple is tricky, but motivated "freedom fighters" are trickier. If they weren't, we wouldn't have modmyi.com to enjoy. And while the iPhone has been a decent device, let's not fool ourselves into believing many of us would have jumped ship long ago had it not been for the efforts to jailbreak this phone, which have lead to invaluable features like tethering and backgrounding, customized styling, bluetooth keyboards, VLC Player (for any format of video or audio), and more. Copy & Paste before there was copy & paste. Video recording all the way down the product line before video recording was supported.

it's the community refusing limitation that has made the iPhone worthy. Not apple. I feel for the sad souls who have yet to jailbreak their phones. Considering you post here, I assume you feel the same way.

Otherwise, feel free to log out, update your phone to 3.1.3 and never jailbreak again. So that you can enjoy your "China" experience.

Thanks

Someone would complain about this...
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by giancarlo View Post
    yea it does....but it stops a few....instead of letting it all go to hell

oh and Kart Racer...it's not illegal to make backup copies of movies/cd's that you own. It's illegal to sell the copies for profit.
    Actually you're 100% wrong. You can make backups from that disc all you want, but they copy protect them with CSS and other means, and you'd have to break that to do so. Why do you think software like SlySoft AnyDVD, DVDDecrypter, etc. are not based in the US? Cause it's illegal to make software to circumvent the protection they put on there that you have to break to make that copy you're allowed to.

Handbrake isn't hosted here in the US and neither it or VLC can break CSS. One is a great player and the other an encoder, but neither break the DRM on a DVD. How in the hell are you supposed to make that copy without breaking that DRM, legally? You cannot legally make a backup of any DVD made currently because you have to violate the law about decrypting the copy protection on said DVD to do so. Learn something before you speak. If you know a way to do so that's 100% legal I'd like to know, cause you seem to think you know better than any of us. Either prove yourself or quit clogging up actual useful conversation.

DRM has proven time an again to be an abuse of paying customers and a godsend to thieves. You can try and explain away it's very real problems and the truth all you want, it's simply a broken system that needs to either go away or make it much easier to deal with. Mom and Pop don't know why one video will work here but not there, they just want it to. I've had this problem with my parents alot, and trying to explain it gets a very weird stare and a 'HUH?' every time. So it's a huge headache. I'm not saying steal software, music, movies and so on. I very much want content creators to get compensated for their work, not the other way around. Completely against the idea of theft, but we have quite a few among us that try and rationalize why they steal. I don't want people to steal this stuff, but as it stands DRM is broken and doesn't help the customer. I don't know what's the best way either, I just know what's wrong. Steam is probably the closest I can think of a good way to do it but it has hiccups now and then.
    Last edited by KartRacer; 02-09-2010 at 08:42 PM. Reason: couldn't get a stupid link to work

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

How can I help support these people?

Thanks

Not sure on the actual support link, but here is the petition: iPad DRM endangers our rights | DefectiveByDesign.org

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

Rota (02-09-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattylee View Post
    Seriously, if you don't like it, DON'T BUY IT.

There's plenty of other phones out there for people who want their 'freedom'.
    Lol so you support apple's drm crap and their lock's on our phones yet you are a member of MMI? How does that make sense at all? And if i'm going to dish out $600 for a cellphone then yes I want to do what i want with it. Thank you Apple for making it, now GTFO and let me use it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

DRM + large iTouch + no multitask + cripple OS for this hardware = I am not getting one.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ticko View Post
    wish i could have signed the petition. I am a completely open source computer user i have linux installed on all my machines including my MBP wich has 3 os's running. If we pay for hardware the right to use that hardware as we please is ours. I can understand apple wanting to protect the ebooks and movies that it has rights to but if people have an alternative source for apps, books, movies, music LET THEM USE IT. And not all alternative sources are illegal sources look at cydia store or rock store for example they are perfectly legal enterprises which offer free and paid for apps. If the rights to make "4th" party apps existed there would be less need to "crack and pirate" things that should be made open to the person who purchases the product. There would be a multitude of other LEGAL sources offering the same products promoting competition instead of charging whatever apple deems appropriate. its not apples computer to give permission to sign whether or not to allow it on the machine itself. It is the property of the person who purchased it and they are allowed to put whatever LEGAL software/music/movie they want on there and the ipad/iphone should be no different. Once the iphone was jailbroken 4th party apps were developed and what a great day that was. Look where it has led us, to multitasking and features apple wants but never thought of. Opening up the ipad/iphone is not at all risky to the company but would probably sell more units. Apple likes to have all their stuff wrapped nice and cozy in their DRM so that they can have a huge legal monopoly over what people use electronics for the most these days, MEDIA.

random?
    I don't agree with you somewhat. Sure open source... If I make something that people can use, do I have to give it away as open source? No. If I spent all my hours making something, and then every person can benefit without me getting what I consider compensation for my time? No. If I want to make sure people are not stealing my work and choose DRM as a tool to help prevent that should I be allow to? Yes. I developed apps that I have seen on Hakulous and I am glad they got shot down.

I am siding with Apple only on the basis they should be allowed to protect their investment. You can simply not buy their product if you don't think it's worth it to you. So can ALL these other people crying about it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doppler View Post
    I don't agree with you somewhat. Sure open source... If I make something that people can use, do I have to give it away as open source? No. If I spent all my hours making something, and then every person can benefit without me getting what I consider compensation for my time? No. If I want to make sure people are not stealing my work and choose DRM as a tool to help prevent that should I be allow to? Yes. I developed apps that I have seen on Hakulous and I am glad they got shot down.

I am siding with Apple only on the basis they should be allowed to protect their investment. You can simply not buy their product if you don't think it's worth it to you. So can ALL these other people crying about it.
    way off base.

he's not saying "make everything free". he's saying, "after I bought it, allow me to use it how I see fit. Get out of the way."

he's correct. there should be no need for Cydia. But because Apple left out critical features and locked out the consumer's ability to do things like CHANGE A SIMPLE SPRINGBOARD BACKGROUND or add features to Safari...or actually make our lock screens useful...or multitask...or play wma's...we have to hack and jailbreak.

in the open source world, you're free to tinker with and change anything under the hood you wish. with Windows and OSX this is also mostly true, though it's a bit more obtuse. But the iPhone and iPod are locked up to an extreme to "preserve our user experience". at the cost of freedom. our efforts to add functionality to our devices should not have an effect on Apple "protecting their investment". After I bought it, it's not their investment to worry about. They did they job.

that's the point.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Then don't buy it. Seriously. I have lost possible thousands due to piracy over the last 8 years. DRM would not have existed because of piracy. Someone buys it then does that person have the right to give it away for free? Think about the "see fit". This is the main source of piracy. You make a copy and give it to your friends. I am still backing Apple.

They didn't leave out critical features. If they planned to have their device without a feature then it wasn't left out. It wasn't there to begin with. It's their device and can do with what they want to with it. If you don't like it that way just don't buy it, or jailbreak it. You have a choice, and you chose to buy it that way. Man up and live with it. You then chose to jailbreak the device because you didn't like it the way they manufactured it. Again your choice. You are doing what you please with the device. You can choose to update it or not.
    Last edited by Doppler; 02-10-2010 at 05:06 AM.