Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NTT DoCoMo To Sell iPad SIM Cards?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default NTT DoCoMo To Sell iPad SIM Cards?

If you've read the Daily Yomiuri Online lately (and who hasn't), then perhaps you've been introduced to the speculation.

We at ModMyi, however, did a little poking around and it seems that all sources point to a forthcoming reality that NTT Docomo Inc. may begin selling SIM cards for Apple's new iPad tablet computer. This, of course, will create a situation in Japan where such cards can be interchangeably placed between different carriers' cell phones.

Pretty cool, huh?

A subscriber identity module card, commonly known as a SIM card, is a small electronic card that records a cell phone subscriber's phone number and the details of their subscription. A cell phone will not work until a SIM card is inserted, and
    cell phones in Japan are SIM-locked, which means their SIM cards cannot be used in handsets sold by different carriers.
    Japan will be introduced to the iPad model with wireless capability late next month, while the 3G model will turn up closer to June. But according to said "sources," the 3G model will be SIM-lock free. Consequently, if Docomo moves ahead with selling SIM cards for the iPad, a landmark will be set.

According to the Wireless Federation:

With this development, Japan will eventually come in line with other countries, where such cards can be switched freely between different carriers’ cell phones. In Japan, cell phones are SIM-locked which means their SIM cards cannot be used in handsets sold by different carriers.
    It should be noted, however, that iPad SIM cards are roughly half the size of a typical SIM card for cell phones used in Japan.

What does that mean? No compatibility, my friends. Nonetheless, it's something we iPhone users will have to adjust to as well.
    The introduction of micro SIMs will, indeed, preclude iPhone subscribers from simply popping their current SIM into Apple's new iPad.

Image via Apple

Thanks

First, I can see jailbroken ipads on the horizon.

^ thats a given. i remember seeing micro media card adapters in the past. somehow those might come into play.[or not. i might be thinking this backwards]
    killall Terminal[]

One of iPad's accessories is a dock connector to camera (I think SD card) for transfering photos. (Apple - iPad - Technical specifications and accessories for iPad.)

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

What does that mean? No compatibility, my friends. Nonetheless, it's something we iPhone users will have to adjust to as well.
    The introduction of micro SIMs will, indeed, preclude iPhone subscribers from simply popping their current SIM into Apple's new iPad.

Image via Apple
    adapter card anyone? gonna be a good market for it soon!
    Yeah, you'll be the coolest person in the room when you pull one out and show it around, but that gets old fast when three other people have them and one person somehow has one that glows in the dark.
    John C. Dvorak
    The American columnist and broadcaster in article 'Rethinking the iPhone' in PC Magazine.

I guess applications like MyWi will have to be sufficient. That's fine with me, I would rather use mywi than have to switch sim cards back and forth. I wish the ipad had a usb port so I could also tether the internet. That way my phone would be charging simultaneously.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I just feel the iPad will screw everything up. Make jailbreaking worse, new apps, etc. Maybe I'm just being too negative.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Are you sure you need iBuddy? Is it because you are iLonely? or iConfused? either way you sound like you need a PAD.

JLMAO

A friend of mine raised an interesting idea. He wants to use iPad's micro sim in the iPhone to get the data only plan. You guys think this is possible?

It is important to note that there is still far from any sort of compatibility in the Japanese telecom industry.

* au/KDDI is on CDMA (with switched bands) and a "R-UIM", physically identical to normal USIM's but for au only. So, au phones cannot be used on UMTS networks nor on other CDMA2000 networks that use ESN to identify the phone, as the phone generates temporary ESN's tied to the R-UIM for roaming purposes.

* Most of Japanese mobile phone subscribers do not use SMS/MMS and instead use email, which had been implemented for a very long time and circumvents some of the limitations associated with SMS - 70 character(Unicode) limit. Email applications limit are around 12,000 characters, and make use of certain code ranges to implement carrier specific emoji (emoticons). These email service specifications, as well as their gateway services, are all proprietary to each carrier. In fact, au does not even provide a SMS service.

* Service area implementations, although largely standardised in 2100Mhz W-CDMA, still vary widely. docomo has decided to use 800Mhz W-CDMA for its "FOMA Plus" service in rural areas, which resulted in support for 800 and 850MHz W-CDMA in its newer phones. Softbank, and needless to say au, do not support this band. E-mobile, a largely data-only provider, provides W-CDMA service in the 1700/2100 (up/down) W-CDMA bands, not unlike T-mobile's 3G situation in the US. Accordingly, many phones are still not usable outside their carrier due to hardware limitations.

* Content ecosystem, much like Verizon's BREW (which au does use), have been tightly regulated since very early. docomo's J2ME implementation, DoJa, is J2ME compatible but requires further signing on top. Since there are very few software unlocks in Japan (the most common kind of unlock is a SIM overlay that spoofs the IMSI), most phones are not unlocked, and thus most phones only support the carrier-specific implementation of app platforms, which once again are signed to a USIM, and not transferrable in any way. This results in incompatible and locked out applications when phones are used on another carrier in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by LOCOPAPI View Post
    Are you sure you need iBuddy? Is it because you are iLonely? or iConfused? either way you sound like you need a PAD.

JLMAO
    HHHHUUuuWHAT??
    killall Terminal[]

Green Apple
    Thanks
    wait.... correct me if im wrong, but is it saying the iPad can be used as a giant phone?

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robbpell View Post
    adapter card anyone? gonna be a good market for it soon!
    Umm... how would you use an adapter card? You're going from big to small... You cannot shrink the SIM card. It will not fit period.

Quote Originally Posted by knguyen View Post
    A friend of mine raised an interesting idea. He wants to use iPad's micro sim in the iPhone to get the data only plan. You guys think this is possible?
    If there's an adapter for micro SIM to regular sized then maybe...However AT&T will know that you're using an iPhone on their network. All devices used on their network is registered. But who knows.
    Last edited by hollow0; 02-03-2010 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HDoan112 View Post
    wait.... correct me if im wrong, but is it saying the iPad can be used as a giant phone?
    Not as a cellular phone. The iPad will only be able to get cellular data. But that doesn't mean you can't use VOIP. So yes, you could use the iPad as a giant VOIP phone, but not a cell phone.

Which reminds me of...

If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Quote Originally Posted by hackint0uch View Post
    One of iPad's accessories is a dock connector to camera (I think SD card) for transfering photos. (Apple - iPad - Technical specifications and accessories for iPad.)
    which is completely irrelevant to this discussion
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Personally I think it would be too much of a PITA to pop out your iphone sim (or any other phone sim) and drop it in the ipad every time you wanted to use cellular data anyway. I don't imagine any situation in the first place where I would NEED the data on the ipad as opposed to my phone. Sure I can;t see the whole page I am looking at at the same time... but I waste less time scrolling/flipping through it than I potentially would swapping sims.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings