Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Windows 7 Coming Soon To An iPad Near You

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Windows 7 Coming Soon To An iPad Near You

Well, that didn't take too long now did it?

Citrix has put the wheels in motion on launching client software enabling iPad users to connect to Citrix servers and run virtual Windows 7 sessions. This will probably reach the marketplace to coincide with the iPad's formal release in late March.

MacinBusiness today covered the iPad as a thin client:

As a thin client even the $499 model is a pretty amazing product and a pretty great value and certainly good enough from a CPU and RAM standpoint. And its a much better than a cheaper Windows-based netbook because the 1024 x 768 screen is actually
    pretty much the minimum for a good Citrix client and almost all netbooks are much lower resolution than that. On-screen keyboard a pain? Maybe, but there is at least one physical keyboard option so far, and there may be more in the future.
    While we haven't even scratched the surface of how the iPad will be modified and morphed to serve innumerable purposes, the idea of accessing your Windows 7 computer remotely via the iPad is an appealing thought and yet another savory attribute of Apple's newest product.

According to GeekWord, this "multi-tasking awesomeness" on the tablet will require you to have one of the two virtualization products - XenDesktop or XenApp - in your possession. Chris Fleck, Citrix Vice President, puts it this way:

It turns out the 9.7 inch display on the iPad with a 1024768 screen resolution works great for a full VDI XenDesktop. Windows applications run unmodified and securely in the data centre, and even multiple applications at once.
    Naturally, many see this latest development as just the tip of the iceberg with regard to what could prove a flood of forthcoming announcements about iPad applications, modifications, software, accessories, etc. Many could even be significant enough to blow your mind.

MS Office 2010 for iPad, anyone?
    Image via UberGizmo

Just wondering why Windows software runs on Apple hardware and is fine. Why is it a big deal to run OSX on Windows based PC's.

Quote Originally Posted by 1shuttle1 View Post
    Just wondering why Windows software runs on Apple hardware and is fine. Why is it a big deal to run OSX on Windows based PC's.
    Read the article again...It is a program to ACCESS your windows machine, not run it.
    Citrix has put the wheels in motion on launching client software enabling iPad users to connect to Citrix servers and run virtual Windows 7 sessions.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Awesome, this means we can run OSX on it too!! well, remotely access that is..

not with citrix tho, but I am sure vaddu will have something for the ipda as well.

OSX sucks anyways.. blah...
    Last edited by iPhone3G[S]; 02-01-2010 at 12:52 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

cares..

I think once this thing gets the bugs out , there gonna find a lot of features it wasnt designed to do. But Apple inst going to come out and say oh hey you can run Windows on it. Im sure its going to be launched with the same "protections" iphone has. and dev team with find the doors =0)

Its amazing how Windows is copying EVERYTHING Apple is doing.....I see why Microsoft sucks... First they ban all the 360's then they send out this office patch to see valid copies- which by the way if you downloaded the office patch and you need to remove it I have a file to uninstall it....

I hate microsoft....

Thanks

Nice, we have a huge Citrix environment here at work. All the more reason to buy an iPad.

because Apple will sue anything that mention's its products' names.
    Ask the guys at modmyi... lol

But hey.. I was already going to get the iPad no matter what....
    ... now i have all the reason in the world too.

Thanks

I use my university's Citrix client to access a bunch of engineering-based program. I wonder how much the individual licenses will run - I'm sure it won't be too cheap. Also, the speed of Citrix is dependent on your internet connection speed. So if your 3G is slow, then windows will run pretty slow as well.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Thanks

Wow?! The iPad is going to support VNC?! Thankyou modmyi!

hmmm. wont be needing this
    killall Terminal[]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vathgol View Post
    Its amazing how Windows is copying EVERYTHING Apple is doing.....
    Um, no?

I see why Microsoft sucks... First they ban all the 360's then they send out this office patch to see valid copies- which by the way if you downloaded the office patch and you need to remove it I have a file to uninstall it....
    How dare they stop pirates?

I hate microsoft....
    And with such great reasons, too.
    Last edited by SquareWheel; 02-01-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Thanks

wow they made an app for the ipad that lets me do something i have been able 2 do on my iphone for almost a year now

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's a big deal because Apple is all about CONTROL! They've always been about control since the beginning.

lol @ everyone hatin here. with an ipad running (virtually or whatever) windows 7, the ipad gains something. usefulness. surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    lol @ everyone hatin here. with an ipad running (virtually or whatever) windows 7, the ipad gains something. usefulness. surprise!
    i second this comment...virtual w7 means virtual osx isint far behind...this gives me more reason to get it...this already and it still hasnt even dropped or bin jailbroken lol cant wait...

you can already virtualize all of this on the iPhone with VNC or Jaduu VNC. This isn't news. I already virtualize Snow Leopard, Windows 7 and Linux with my 3G. I repeat, this isn't news unless somehow we're back in 2008.

ok so your telling me that doing this on a ipad is just as good as a 3g? id much rather do this on a bigger screen that a little one..

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    Wow?! The iPad is going to support VNC?! Thankyou modmyi!
    That shouldn't be news to you. VNC Apps have been around since the AppStore opened...they will still work on the iPad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast