+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Shanzhai" iPad Cloner Threatens to Sue Apple

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Shanzhai (山寨) is a Chinese term that is used to described clone reproductions of popular cell phones. It's a huge business in China, with hundreds of millions of fake phones
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default "Shanzhai" iPad Cloner Threatens to Sue Apple

Shanzhai (山寨) is a Chinese term that is used to described clone reproductions of popular cell phones. It's a huge business in China, with hundreds of millions of fake phones produced every year for the enormous Chinese market. Last year, one of the big shanzhai players came out with what was termed a "preemptive clone" of the iPad, before the device had even been announced. Now, that manufacturer is threatening to "report" or even sue Apple... for copying their design.

Shanzai.com featured this device back in October. Called the P88, it's based on an Intel 945GSE chipset - likely running an Atom CPU - and features a large, 10.2 inch capacitive touchscreen (as compared to the iPad's 9.7 inch screen). Xiaolong Wu, the president of Shenzhen Great Loong Brother Industries Company, the company that makes the P88, told the Spanish newspaper El Mundo that he "won’t have any choice but to report" Apple when they sell the iPad in China. "It will certainly affect our sales,” he says. The product has been on the market for six months and so, according to Mr. Wu, Apple is guilty of "stealing" his company's intellectual property.

I was very angry and flabbergasted when I saw the news of the iPad presentation two days ago... It is certainly our design. They've stolen because we present our P88 to everyone six months ago at the IFA (International Electronics Fair in Berlin).
    Wu added, ""For this thing we are not shanzhai, because we were first."

Looking at the specs side by side, it seems pretty clear that the P88 is a fairly standard netbook, albeit one with a touchscreen.

CPU
    P88: Intel Atom 1.6GHz
    iPad: 1GHz Apple A4 custom-designed chip

SCREEN SIZE
    P88: 10.2 inches
    iPad: 9.7 inches

STORAGE
    P88: 160GB mechanical hard drive
    iPad: Up to 64GB flash

RAM
    P88:1GB
    iPad: unannounced

WEIGHT
    P88: 1.03kg
    iPad: 0.73kg (3G model)

PORTS
    P88: 3 USB ports, 1 VGA, 1 RJ-45, card reader, earphone, mic
    iPad: dock connector, with adapters

BATTERY LIFE
    P88: 1.5 hours
    iPad: 10 hours (claimed)

PRICE
    P88: reports range from $440 - $525 US
    iPad: $499 - $829 US

Shenzhen Great Loong Brother Industries Company may not be alone in its (perhaps quixotic) battle against Apple, though: the Japanese electronics giant Fujitsu, which built a handheld computing device called the iPad back in 2002, claims it has the right to the name iPad. “It’s our understanding that the name is ours,” said Masahiro Yamane, the director of public relations at Fujitsu. He added that his company was consulting lawyers on what to do about it.

According to Wikipedia, the word shanzhai has a colorful derivation:
    Historically, "shanzhai" is sometimes used as a metaphor to describe bandits who oppose and evade the corrupted authority to perform deeds they see as justified.
    image via shanzai.com
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 02-01-2010 at 10:22 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

WOW, is that thing like 4in thick!@?#

Thanks

ha ok good luck..thats ironic a copy cat compny that steals suing a legit company

Thanks

I wish that Wu guy was here right now...I'd punch him in the face =) over and over

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

1.5 hours of battery life?! Woo hoo!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Bernie-Mac (02-01-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The only thing the Apple lawyers have to do is show the judge an IPhone and say...."we took out the calling feature and made it bigger."

Case dismissed.

Banned
    Thanks

thats the problem with society..... everyone has to sue everybody.... the iPad makes this crappy windows operating system look like a defect from 1999.....

apple copycat? The specs from apple dont lie.. iphone vs windows devices...Iphone
    PC vs Mac...mac

shall I keep going???

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

wowwww that's pretty messed up hahah makes me laugh that the people who spend their time creating a copy cat device are going to sue someone for making a copy cat device they made, even though they didn't do a copy cat device... i dont think apple can just make the ipad in 6 months hah. and good now apple can change the name from ipad to something more flattering.

Thanks

What's more messed up is I have a feeling that on of the main reasons they made the device in the first place was so that they could pull this BS when Apple actually came out with it.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder what the laws are in China. It seems to me that even if this company came out with this product six months ago, Apple has had patent on it for much longer, at least I assume so.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

that's lame... these guys make copycat devices all the time and no one sues anyone over it and now they're gonna sue.... this will never hold up in court. Apple can just counter sue if they've copied one of their devices and settle it. What are they saying Apple copied the design? All apple did was make the ipod touch bigger! lol they've had this design for 4 years

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Wtf!
    Let's backup for a second here. A chinese company that makes knock off copies of original phones...hmmm..I'm sure that they are keeping the same design, right? So what gives them the right to sue a legit comany such as Apple? If they do sue, there is no way this company will win the case. BTW That thing is 4x as thick as the iPad.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

This is just funny...Must be "little man syndrome"
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kdp8791 View Post
    Let's backup for a second here. A chinese company that makes knock off copies of original phones...hmmm..I'm sure that they are keeping the same design, right? So what gives them the right to sue a legit comany such as Apple? If they do sue, there is no way this company will win the case. BTW That thing is 4x as thick as the iPad.
    no comp[any is legit...just sayin

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

Hahahaha little man syndrome that was brilliant

Thanks

lol i missed that the first read over...1.5 hours of battery life. thats a joke, i hope what ever your using your tablet for doesnt take very long =P

Thanks

The IPAD spec.. at the moment is all on paper.. look at all the promices Apple has made in regards to the Iphone... humm im taking a wait and see attitude before i buy in to Apples claim what the IPAD can and cant do.Let alone when u can actually buy one...

I love Jobs smacking adobe "privately" and spouting 4g is going to be an A+. Humm then what were versions 1 2 and 3? beta?

4G = A jailbroken 3gs but still hampered by bad apps approval system...

wait and see is all im sayn

Thanks

I don't know what's funnier - the fact that a copier is suing the company it is trying to copy the product from , or the fact that the copier actually made a better version than the original company! Outside of the battery life, the Chinese's company's version outperforms crApple in every category!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

The iPad is pretty much just an iPod Touch x 10. There's no copy here that's just Apple's design. You can even look at the MacBook Pro screen. The entire MacBook Pro screen is the design of the iPad just with added features. C'mon now, must we always have to sue...?

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

Soo...where are most of Apple's products manufactured? Overseas.
    Where does most of the copy cat clones and reverse engineering occur? Overseas.
    When a new product comes out that is a clone of a world wide brand, where does it come from? Overseas.
    Specific example Huawei (sp).

Notice a trend here?
    Not that I think Apple is going to face any recrimination as the POS displayed is large, bulky, limited battery life, and is nowhere near close to an infringement.

Ridiculous...