Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gone in a "Flash." Adobe References Pulled From iPad Promos

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Gone in a "Flash." Adobe References Pulled From iPad Promos

First you see it. Now you don't.

Apple has effectively pulled the plug on promotional iPad content from the Apple website, which had previously alluded to Adobe Flash content.

The Adobe Flash fiasco comes after Steve Jobs "inadvertently navigated to a page with Flash content" during the iPad's big reveal and live demonstration last week. The entire situation, of course, drew ire from some, particularly Adrian Ludwig, Flash Marketing Manager for Adobe, who "expressed his dismay in a frustrated post - called "Apple's iPad -- a broken link?" - on the Flash Platform blog."

From Apple Insider:

On Friday, misleading content that implied the inclusion of Adobe Flash in the iPad's Safari Web browser was noted. In an image and a video on Apple's Web site, content from The New York Times Web site that could only be displayed in Flash was shown on the iPad.
    This weekend, however, Apple is setting the record straight - not with an announcement, but with the removal of a now-controversial component of an ad that turned up on Apple's website after the iPad debuted.

While the changes made to rectify the situation were relatively minimal, they certainly drew a great deal of attention - both to the iPad and Adobe, which continue to teeter on the verge of a love affair just waiting to happen.

The image on the front page of Apple's site has been changed from the Flash photo slideshow to a story about the 1,300th anniversary of the city of Nara, Japan. Previously, it showed a picture from the story "The 31 Places to Go in 2010," with a Flash-only image of a beach in Montenegro.
    Images via Apple Insider

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

There's no hope for flash on the iPhone
    Last edited by StealthBravo; 01-31-2010 at 02:08 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

Cid K (01-31-2010)

For what??? without flash....
    install sparately from cydia.......it's mean soon or later jailbreak for iPad.
    Last edited by romeo_herman; 01-31-2010 at 02:13 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to romeo_herman For This Useful Post:

Cid K (01-31-2010)

seriously i dont need any flash
    if i want to use a tablet i would use it for applications ,games and for reading the only thing that bothers me is the size of that thing and it doesn't support usb storage
    buy something else for flash support
    btw if this thing gets jailbroken i would buy it to get my free apps

flash would have been viable
    killall Terminal[]

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm so over the flash/no flash discussion, arguing, etc.
    It's done...flash is not coming.
    Maybe there is something else up Apple's sleeve.

My wife wants it...loves it...easy for her to use.

Buy it based upon your needs, don't buy it based on what it does not have. FIN...
    Next topic!

^im not for flash. just that it is viable.
    killall Terminal[]

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    ^im not for flash. just that it is viable.
    Not a comment towards you rhekt....just simply done that every post comes back to this, I agree it would be nice...but it's done, spilled milk...
    I'm really waiting to see what the j/b team will do with this...I'm moving on...
    I guess I need to visit the Ipad forums for this information.

yeah no worries, im bored of hearing the cries and moans too. im extremely interested in whats around the corner in development that will take over that though.
    killall Terminal[]

No surprise here.

I'm still having difficulty understanding why it's all too impossible to port a Safari plugin to MobileSafari especially since iPhone OS is based on the core of Mac OS X. =/

Especially since the Sony PSP even got a port of Flash Player unofficially for hackers until they manned up and put it into the Internet Browser by default
    Last edited by n00neimp0rtant; 01-31-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

html5 ftw ^___^
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

Just Maybe, Flash 'could' be supported, but it would ONLY be useful for websites such as NYT and the like, games on Facebook would be a real no no.

I am currently playing FarmVille on Facebook

Safari is now using 339 Mb ram

Flash plugin in is using 757 Mb ram

Flash plugin is also using 129% CPU

So allowing flash on the iPhone / iPad i ok as long as you don't go to sites like that??

What are you supposed to do every time you accidentally stumble across a ram / cpu killing flash site, re boot the phone / pad.

I suppose they could add in a core 2 duo 2.8, 4 or 8gb ram, but then it would cost 1600, weight 5 pounds, last 2 hours between charges...

Hang on, thats the description of a WIn7 touch pad like the one I have here!!!

Other than watching, ahem, adult videos on your iPhone I see no use for flash. The only reason I'd want it is to play [adult swim] games but they aren't made for touch controls. So who cares? HTML5 is the future apparently.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

HTML5 sucks. Watch a Flash-based YouTube video. Then try HTML5. Look at the difference in quality.

Maybe it'll get better, but regardless, Flash is not only for videos.

There's like, billions of sites with flash games which people do play. And no, there's not just adult sites, but sites like Metacafe, Hulu, Dailymotion, and all the news sites. There are apps for some of them, but not all of them. Though HTML5 is better, supposedly, I don't see any reason not to put Flash on. Then again, Apple doesn't have a record of giving a damn about the customer's needs (removable battery, Flash, Google Voice, restrictive App store, etc.). I'm gonna probably try for the Nexus One since Google seems much more nicer about the customers.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    Other than watching, ahem, adult videos on your iPhone I see no use for flash. The only reason I'd want it is to play [adult swim] games but they aren't made for touch controls. So who cares? HTML5 is the future apparently.
    Maybe you'd like to look up a site called Hulu

...and get your mind out of the gutter, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Maybe you'd like to look up a site called Hulu

...and get your mind out of the gutter, lol
    I agree with you. I didn't mean to sound like it was useless, just that there aren't many things that I would use it for. HULU is one thing I would use it for, but I have no 3G where I live, really crappy coverage, and when I would sit down to watch something on HULU I have my MacBook Pro connected to my 46 inch HDTV. I would just use AirMouse and watch it there. Flash is useul, and could be on the iPhone, but not for the majority of what flash is used for on the internet. Hence, ahem, adult videos.

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    pr0n is the #1 reason duh. pr0n on the go for free, could you imagine that?
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast