Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3.2 SDK Support for Handwriting, USB Keyboards, Video Calls Found

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 3.2 SDK Support for Handwriting, USB Keyboards Found

Ryan Petrich, the developer behind great projects like Action Menu and ProSwitcher (with chpwn), has pored over the iPhone 3.2 SDK and given us a rundown of what's built in. The SDK supports a lot of new functionality, which provides interesting hints as to features the iPad may support either when it ships seven weeks from now, or in a future model.

Some of the revelations - such as possible support for a Java virtual machine and a handwriting keyboard - are fairly unexpected, while others like gesture support, have been tipped for some time. Petrich also notes some support for doing things that have heretofore been jailbreak-only, like adding items to the Select/Cut/Copy/Paste callout (which you can do on the iPhone using Petrich's Action Menu) and spellcheck/correction on input fields (which can be done with Petrich's Inspell).

Also interesting and amusing is Apple's internal name for the iPad, as revealed by the value returned when the system queries what type of device it's running on: "Wildcat."

The full list, from rpetrich:

• Support for Kerberos and NegotiateV2 HTTP authentication schemes
    • CoreText framework for advanced typography support
    • A simplified API for formatted text
    • Built-in regular expression engine now accessible to developers
    • Much richer Movie player API
    • Richer CoreAnimation properties (layers can have shadows and effects; effects can be rasterized for speed)
    • Text layers for optimized drawing of formatted text
    • Simplified Beizer path drawing API (formerly a private API)
    • User-accessible filesystem and built in view controllers for accessing them (note: applications that access files directly and not through controller probably won't be approved)
    • Simplified gesture recognizer API (available in 3.0 as a private API; some of us have been using this already
    • Simple CoreGraphics PDF-creation API
    • Ability for applications to add custom items to the select/cut/copy/paste menu (similar to what my ActionMenu does)
    • Spell-checker in text fields and web views with support for multiple languages, grammar checking (English-only), address book integration, user added words and SDK access (via AppleSpell; similar to what my Inspell product does)
    • Custom keyboard views; hardware keyboard (possibly via USB: USBKeyboardLayouts.plist or Bluetooth?)
    • Support for querying attached screens (AppStore-permitted external display support?)
    • Simplified zoom support for standard scroll views
    • SpringBoard maintains orientation
    • Support for hardware media keys (not sure what this is)
    • Ability to set the desktop background (private)
    • The beginnings of file upload support in Safari
    • iPad codename: Wildcat ([[UIDevice currentDevice] isWildcat])
    • Legacy code from iPhone 1.x is still around :P (if stripped out, could save some RAM for memory-constrained devices)
    • Swipe and flick gestures on keyboard
    • Split-view and popover styles
    • Handwriting keyboard is being prototyped
    • "Book" view controller
    • "Peripheral views" are being prototyped (not 100% sure what this is, but appears to be plugins that hardware vendors can inject into all applications?)
    • Possible integrated Java Virtual Machine (in the public frameworks path, but only for Simulator?)
    • Support for DMG and other disk image formats (in the public frameworks path?)
    • Printer support is being prototyped
    • Speech Synthesis is mentioned in public headers (is currently a private API)
    • Slideshow integration with iLife
    • USB Host for transferring images is being prototyped (perhaps Wildcat only? supports PTP only currently)
    • Ads are being tested for the integrated maps application
    • MobileStorageMounter (ability to mount mobile storage?)
    • Included dictionaries: Apple Dictionary, New Oxford American Dictionary, Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus, Shogakukan Daijisen, Shogakukan Progressive English-Japanese Japanese-English Dictionary, and Shogakukan Ruigo Reikai Jiten

Separately, Engadget notes, in its review of the 3.2 SDK, at least potential support for a video camera and the ability to accept or decline a video conference, and also to flip a video feed. This last feature, as Engadget's Nilay Patel points out, would suggest a front-facing camera: which is an omission that was mentioned by many as a significant disappointment when the iPad was announced. The SDK would also support playing a video feed in full screen mode or in a corner of the screen. Patel notes that this implies some form of multitasking will be supported, or at least a "multitasking-like" functionality like the suspend/resume method used by the iPod app and exploited by apps like Backgrounder.

image via Engadget
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 01-31-2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: removed reference to video calling speculation in headline

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

yep cantt wait

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

I would like to get an iPad but thing is.. I don't want to get one NOW if they're going to release new versions every year like they do with iPhones. It not having a camera is a big turn-off for me.

Ya, just wait till like the 2nd or 3rd gen ipad, it'll have like alot more features for probably the same or less cost, first gens always have flaws,

But they're still easier to hack, lol. 2G vs 3GS, for ex. My 2G has been suiting all my needs for some time now. Still, I wonder how much an upgrade to a 3Gs would cost, if anyone knows.

an ipad with an attached keyboard? that's a lol-fest

Quote Originally Posted by yahoowizard View Post
    Still, I wonder how much an upgrade to a 3Gs would cost, if anyone knows.
    the phone itself is cheap, 199 if you're continuing a contract. otherwise it's like 700. lol
    Last edited by lolcats1; 01-31-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Lots of features. If most of them happen, I'm sold.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

I wish the ipad had a camera but I am still buying it. I am still amazed the tablet is here. I am glad the rumors are done too. The 2g is just the easier iPhone to work with.

Sweet, some nice new public APIs in there.

But still... dang you apple...I want one of these, but the lack of flash and multitasking is the only thing keeping me from buying 2 of these puppies once they hit the shelves.
    Last edited by JedixJarf; 01-31-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: I need to learn to spell :)

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    Sweet, some nice new public APIs in there.

But still... dang you apple...I want one of these, but the lack of flash and multitasking is the only thing keeping me from buying 2 of these puppies once they hit the shelves.
    I'm betting multitasking will come soon, with a software or firmware update. Flash, I dunno. Mozilla is dropping it's flash from their new mobile browser cause of it's instabilities. I know Jobs won't want anything on his devices that could cause crashes or security issues.

well if html5 hits starts becoming a standard, then no need for flash support. but yea, id probably wait for a second iteration.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondamaker View Post
    I'm betting multitasking will come soon
    won't be able to do much with it. it's only got a gig of ram. the nexus one has 1.3. lol

@lolcats1^it aint easy being cheesy

im all aboard the gravy train. cant wait for the ipad release and new iphone.
    killall Terminal[]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hey in my response to another post about cases offered by iLuv i noticed this,

This product is on iLuv's website under their category for Apple's iPad.
    iLuv

The compatiibility and specification sections are blank.

Is this maybe why video chat and other camera related options is already being referenced in the 3.2 SDK ????

I think so. And I'm sure other companies are making moves too