+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Adobe Sounds Off About Lack of iPad Flash Support

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Adobe Sounds Off About Lack of iPad Flash Support

There was one small hitch in Steve Jobs' polished presentation on Wednesday as he demoed the new iPad. When he used the device to load the New York Times website, he (apparently) inadvertently navigated to a page with Flash content. The large blue Lego icon projected on the big screen at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts was like an announcement of what had long been expected: the iPad will not support Flash.

Adrian Ludwig, Flash Marketing Manager for Adobe expressed his dismay in a frustrated post - called "Apple's iPad -- a broken link?"
    - on the Flash Platform blog.

It looks like Apple is continuing to impose restrictions on their devices that limit both content publishers and consumers. Unlike many other ebook readers using the ePub file format, consumers will not be able to access ePub content with Apple's DRM technology on devices made by other manufacturers. And without Flash support, iPad users will not be able to access the full range of web content, including over 70% of games and 75% of video on the web.

If I want to use the iPad to connect to Disney, Hulu, Miniclip, Farmville, ESPN, Kongregate, or JibJab -- not to mention the millions of other sites on the web -- I'll be out of luck.
    Adobe has moved to get Flash content onto the iPhone despite Apple's lack of support by developing the forthcoming Packager for iPhone tool which will convert Flash content into apps that can run on the iPhone, and the company said that a future version of the tool will also work for the iPad's 1024 x 768 screen.

"It is our intent to make it possible for Flash developers to build applications that can take advantage of the increased screen size and resolution of the iPad," Adobe AIR for Mobile Manager Michael Chou said on the blog. "We are looking for developers and designers who have a specific app in mind to be submitted to the iTunes App Store within the next two months."

According to Adobe, 98 percent of desktop computers currently support Flash, and version 10.1, presently in beta, will run on Windows Mobile, webOS, Android, Symbian and BlackBerry. Apple has consistently blocked the software from running on the iPhone and iPod, most analysts believe, because it would take away business from its App Store, allowing consumers to play games and run other content from a browser. Clause 3.3.2 of the iPhone SDK agreement prohibits Flash or any other "self-executing" code from the iPhone:

An Application may not itself install or launch other executable code by any means, including without limitation through the use of a plug-in architecture, calling other frameworks, other APIs or otherwise. No interpreted code may be downloaded and used in an Application except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple’s Published APIs and built-in interpreter(s).
    Packager for iPhone will be included with the upcoming release of Adobe Flash Professional CS5, with Packager for iPad to follow later in the year.

image via Engadget

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

the iphone I can somewhat understand, but leaving it off the ipad is a joke...and I can't consider it as even a netbook competitor until they fix that. So far it stacks up as a big ipod or color ebook reader.
    Really?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to eg6motion For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (01-29-2010)

Thanks

... and showing it at the live presentation. jobs must have nerves.

Thanks
    You know when steve jobs opened that page I thought it was on purpose so he could say, no flash? yes of course we have flash then it would come on and be working and everybody would be chuffed but no, it seems more like an " I dont need flash and I'm not afraid of sites that use flash and I'll prove it by showing you on a big screen"

After that keynote speech and the way I felt so dissapointed overall, I am tired of Apple and the iProducts, I can't be bothered with it anymore I'll check back in a half a year and see whats new then.

Thanks

well, see u half a year from now...as for me...do i really need flash? not really..im not gonna cry about it..plus html5 is shaping up now.
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I think they are going to push HTML5 support and have flash working when they ship, the software was pretty hacky, especially from all the hands on stuff, had quite a few buttons that didn't do what they were supposed to yet.

Thanks

This story proves two things that we already knew:

1. The iPad is borderline useless to almost everyone on this forum, since the majority of members already have an iPhone.

2. Apple is the most arrogant company. They continue to think that consumers don't need anything that Apple does not have their hands directly on. Don't get me wrong - I do love my iMac at work, iPhone, and MacBook - but they are working in dangerous territory by ignoring other companies out there.
    Last edited by niqolas619; 08-17-2010 at 11:05 AM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to niqolas619 For This Useful Post:

b3nny (01-29-2010), dsg (01-30-2010), fidosam (02-01-2010), nhstunner (01-29-2010)

Thanks

i'll buy one just to say i have it
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

Thanks

im a proud owner of a 3GS and im still getting this, this has more potential then the iphone , all that screen space? thats perfect...then once they start developing apps that i already use on my MBP its even better cuz i dont have to wait for my MBP to boot, just press a button and its on, lets get that app running and done...did ya see the iworks app running? that was amazing and all that on a apps that run on that...i would rather use that then boot a pc
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

12. The Following User Says Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

Chase817 (01-29-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    im a proud owner of a 3GS and im still getting this, this has more potential then the iphone , all that screen space? thats perfect...then once they start developing apps that i already use on my MBP its even better cuz i dont have to wait for my MBP to boot, just press a button and its on, lets get that app running and done...did ya see the iworks app running? that was amazing and all that on a apps that run on that...i would rather use that then boot a pc
    This has more potential than the iPhone, yes, but not after the iPhone has been made. I bet everyone would instarun to buy this, more than the people who bought the iPhones, but it won't work since they brought out the iPhone first and there's no real clear difference rather than a bigger screen.

Thanks

yeah it sucks that the iphone/ipad don't support flash, but i'd like apple to explain themselves as to why they continue to ignore the public's request for flash support. But as long as people continue to go out and purchase their products, they will continue to ignore us and do as they please. I think the ipad will replace my iphone for websurfing and watching movies, but it'll never replace it as an ipod. I would have liked the ipad to have an sd slot as well but then who would by the 32 & 64GB versions?

Thanks

What GARBAGE. I don't want one anymore. Unless it can be hacked and have flash implemented it's fairly useless to me. Apple seems to think because we love their products so much that we won't seem to mind how senseless, arrogant, and nazi they are ith their limited methods of versatility. How stupid is Jobs... really? Good luck to them and their stocks in the future. I'm not investing anymore. As long as they get more exclusive with their company and keep limiting everything, as well as their reluctance to have partnership with other small companies, they will soon be on the verge of failure. And by the time they choose to change their mind it will be too late. Just like so many other ignorant companies like them. The ipad is great... and so is the 3G S. But for how long with all of these other versatile companies growing bigger and bigger. Eventually consumers are going to merge over to the devices they find to be the most use-full, and not the most prettiest and/or the most "i"ntuitive lol.

PS Check out Archos's Tablet. It boasts a pretty long batter life as well, 9 inches!!, AND it's running Win 7. ....oh yes ...$549.

ARCHOS

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

damn no flash?
    gaaay

iPhone? More like MyPhone ifonemaniac's Avatar
    Thanks

i cant wait to see super mario bros on the ipad after george jb's it

Thanks

"GAAAY" is right!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yahoowizard View Post
    This has more potential than the iPhone, yes, but not after the iPhone has been made. I bet everyone would instarun to buy this, more than the people who bought the iPhones, but it won't work since they brought out the iPhone first and there's no real clear difference rather than a bigger screen.
    Yes I'll agree it looks like a giant iPhone, and the name is a little silly. Right now I'll also agree that it doesn't do much more than my iPhone 3GS. But what this is capable of is much much more. The proof of that being the iWork they designed for it. With the new SDK developers will be able to make apps specifically for the iPad, not the iPhone. I think we will all be excited once we see these apps hit the store. Just with iWork alone you already have a word processing program! I can't wait to see what Adobe Photoshop can come out with, freaking brushes already had layer capability! This is a slow start to something that I think will win out in the end.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    the iphone I can somewhat understand, but leaving it off the ipad is a joke...and I can't consider it as even a netbook competitor until they fix that. So far it stacks up as a big ipod or color ebook reader.
    You bet its a joke! As for a netbook uhmm... i still dont mind to carry my laptop, as a university student i cant see what iPad will help me with, like programing...

Quote Originally Posted by extremzocker View Post
    ... and showing it at the live presentation. jobs must have nerves.
    Took the words out of my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by niqolas619 View Post
    This story proves two things that we already knew:

2. Apple is the most arrogant company. They continue to think that consumers don't need anything that Apple has their hands directly on. Don't get me wrong - I do love my iMac at work, iPhone, and MacBook - but they are working in dangerous territory by ignoring other companies out there.
    And that is one of the reasons why i dont like they policy of making everything by they self, cause they cant! There are companys especialized in certain areas, and they are best in what they do. So to have a perfect product they need other companys hand.

I have a iPhone and sometimes i hate that it does not have flash... Now about iPad, to take my laptop's spot in my life, is far far away.

Ye, its greeeaaat to watch a movie, surf the web, read ebooks (like i'll do that), iwork and some other apps. BUT, if i will use as my work station (iWork) i will need USB port, not the build in iPad-PC cable, i mean like a USB pen. I will need also a memory slot, like SD memory. And other many things a cant imagine right now cause of frustation about this iCrap.
    Doesnt come with build in camera??? Still gotta buy it?! Any netbook or laptop this days has one. For Massenger (MSN, Yahoo, etc) its fun!

But at the end, if i had "money" and nothing else important to buy, i would buy one, cause thats what we humans do when we are bored, we buy crapy things with no life standard use.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dumi View Post
    Now about iPad, to take my laptop's spot in my life, is far far away.
    Its not suppose to replace a laptop.

I agree the lack of flash is the biggest disappointment of the iPad. Luckily flash can be implemented via software and there is still a slim possibility that it will drop with 4.0.

Thanks

dude adobe should release this over cydia. just to prove apple wrong and make them look really, REALLY, bad.

Quote Originally Posted by trevorrawson View Post
    Right now I'll also agree that it doesn't do much more than my iPhone 3GS.
    nope your iphone can do more. (lol)
    Last edited by lolcats1; 01-29-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    Its not suppose to replace a laptop.

I agree the lack of flash is the biggest disappointment of the iPad. Luckily flash can be implemented via software and there is still a slim possibility that it will drop with 4.0.
    You are just trying to justify why you are buying it for sure.

Flash will never be supported by Apple for the Iphone OS, They Prone ''HTML5''

Adobe tried every possible way to make it work, Apple does not want to.

They just released a new version that works on every OS possible , except the Iphone OS.