Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3.2 SDK Shows iPad-Only Features, Possible Camera Support

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 3.2 SDK Shows iPad-Only Features, Possible Camera Support

Developers and pundits are crawling all over the iPad SDK that Apple released to developers yesterday, and have found a few noteworthy items. While it was known that the upcoming 3.2 update to the iPhone OS will be iPad-only, what a closer look at the SDK revealed is that particular features shown in the iPad demo yesterday will not be supported by the iPhone or iPod, creating the possibility of separate app development processes for the two families of iPhone OS devices. Also a feature of the iPad emulator shows a "Take Picture" option, which has led to speculation that a camera may be included in a future model of the device.

News that the iPad would run the iPhone OS was received with pleasure by many iPhone users who anticipated that some of the interface enhancements of the new device would make their way to its older sibling. A reading of the updated human interface guidelines for iPhone 3.2, though, indicates that two of the most interesting ones - split view (with separate sections of the screen showing different data) and popovers (floating fully-formatted menus) - are both listed as "iPad-only." While it's entirely understandable, since these features are really large-screen specific, this will lead to a "fork" for many developers who will now need to maintain separate iPad and iPhone/iPod versions of their apps.

Also today, Greg Kumparak at CrunchGear was playing with the Contacts app on the iPad simulator bundled in the SDK, and noticed something that seemed a bit odd.

Tucked away within the iPad's contacts application is an "Add Photo" button, purposed with.. well, adding photos. Everyone likes having photos assigned to their contacts, and there's more than enough space on this thing to sync photos of all your friends - so nothing too strange there. What is odd, however, is the prompt that pops up: do you want to "Choose Existing Photo", or do you want to "Take Photo"?
    It's entirely possible that this was an oversight on Apple's part, forgetting to take out a feature from the pre-3.2 SDK. However, it leaves open the possibility that Apple will support a built-in camera at some point in its roadmap for the product. Given that the absence of a camera was one of the sources of disappointment among many fans yesterday, it's likely something that Apple is at least considering as a future option.

image via CrunchGear
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 01-28-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I vote oversight.

Thanks

They show on apples site under accessories a Camera connection kit.

iPad Camera Connection Kit

"The Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera’s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera’s SD card."

Apple - iPad - Technical specifications and accessories for iPad.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

On apple.com there is a camera attachment cable for the iPad.

this is looking bad, multiple OS's means each device will get a fraction of the attention. bad, bad news

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The accessory is strictly for importing photos/videos from a connected camera or SD card... not for taking pictures and video on the fly for chatting etc.

Thanks

Because Apple can't afford to expand and open a new department?

iPhone? More like MyPhone punklove's Avatar
    Thanks

i'm shocked that there arent two camera's in it... or at least in one of the models- i mean, it would be great for skype video calls, and whatever else... i mean, a 2mpx wouldve been more than enough for the front, and a 4 or 5 could go on the back, with flash?

my guess is that the "take pic" is a holdover from the iphoneOS and is likely in the future plans, or, is going to be integrable into 3rd party accessories [that's why it's still there]... pretty simple, plug it in on the bottom, and flip it upside -- "it fits you"- worst slogan ever
    happiness is a warm iphone~~~~

I just wonder if they plan on having a camera when it ships. That would be a nice bonus
    Last edited by iPhone3G[S]; 01-28-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone3G[S] View Post
    I just wonder if they plan on having a camera when it ships. That would be a nice bonus
    knowning apple, i wouldnt hold my breath...i even doubt there will be a camera attachment.

they doing this in purpose so the rumor mil dosnt stop,
    its the way apple advertises its products.
    they knew somebody was going to find it, its to easy, and cheap for them

instead of selling bullsh*t attachments to add pictures all they had to do is add a camera to the screen, seriously apple is money hungry beyond belief. I can bet my left nut that the next one is going to have a camera.

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by playboii View Post
    instead of selling bullsh*t attachments to add pictures all they had to do is add a camera to the screen, seriously apple is money hungry beyond belief. I can bet my left nut that the next one is going to have a camera.
    ok, you bet your left one and i bet my right one :P

apple will put a camera in the new gen next year. they wait till people buy this one and then they bring out a new addition that should have been on it in the first place and then people rush to get the new feature and presto apple have doubled there sales on the product
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by rpgpromaster View Post
    apple will put a camera in the new gen next year.
    sounds familiar... cough ipod cough

Thanks

Apple shut down any and all rumors what u see is what u get. I love the ipad!

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    Apple shut down any and all rumors
    you mean by releasing it? yeah, they did that. :/

the things is that people made to much out of it, and we all know that apple never delivers a product all the way, i mean we r still waiting on the itouch with camera.
    i like the ipad for what it is, and the price.
    know it could have been more but u have to give it to them for the price, the camera would only have been more and what every one wanted was something to fill the price gap on the iphone and macpro.
    and to be honest its way better than a netbook, and thats what it is a freaking netbook, what do u prefer a netbook or the ipad????????

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Better than a netbook? Hardly
    No USB

No firewire

No way to install any application you want; app store only
    -lame how Apple positioned this as not being weighed down by "pc software"

No flash in the browser
    -you can't call it the best internet experience if there is NO FLASH

No file storage on the device
    -disk mode anyone? doubt it

No multi-tasking
    -want to listen to pandora and read a book? tough cookies

No video out
    -want to watch that HD video you downloaded? Get yourself an AppleTV I guess

Let's see...what other things can a Netbook do that the iPad can't? I'm sure there are more out there, like connect to the web via ethernet if you choose.

But then you look at the things the iPad does that Netbook's don't....

Awesome multi-touch interface

What else?
    iBooks - can be replicated on NetBook through eBook reader apps
    App Store - big deal, there are hundreds of thousands of apps that will run on a netbook but not an iPad. Read: MS OFFICE

I'm sure there is more. And let's not forget you can get a Netbook for half the price of an iPad.

These chaps @ Cupertino just aren't listening are they?? Looks like they're locked up in some hazy, coudy coccoon...

a) How many times and whose *** do we have to kick in order to get double facing camera (for video CHAT),

b) What the heck am I going to do with 64GB in this day and age???

c) Why are we being compelled to only install stuff through itunes (it seems)?

d) Why is there no optical or blu-ray drive for this "revolutionary and most advanced" piece of ****???

e) Isn't this crap by now supposed to have multi-tasking, a long awaited feature, or are they depending on the JB community to give them solutions again??

f) No mention of flash support by steve?? Oh I forgot...it'll drain their precious little excuse for battery, or worse still, it'll interfere with the half baked OS!!

c'mon Apple, for once please come up with something that is truly revolutionary in every sense of the word and stop ripping us off with some silly product with "upgrades" a few years later for "ommitted" aspects which are they touted as 'most advanced'

Apple we're sick of your deceit

p.s.

To the DevTeam...please come out with a JB for this 'pad' before it hits the stalls, just to teach Apple how best to build a device (I bet that A4 chip is there for a reason (maybe to prevent JB)
    Last edited by iLaw-One; 01-28-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Thanks

You want an optical drive in this day and age? lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast