Results 1 to 14 of 14

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iPad Default Icon Theming

  1. #1
    Default iPad Default Icon Theming
    Icon theming through winterboard on the ipad (in high quality) can only be accomplished through /Bundles and /Folders within the theme. It took me like 2 whole hours to figure out how to get all of the icons to theme correctly.

    In order to get it to work *almost* every time when theming the icons I made both a bundles directory and and folder for each app. I made folder in the Theme/Folders/ with the *exact* app name that corresponds to what it shows up in /Applications directory. (ie. for n64iphone within the /Folders/ I made a folder called n64iphone.app). **In order to obtain the /Bundles name for the icon you MUST go into Cydia (not Rock) and what it says next to ID after clicking on it in Cydia is the bundle name. (ie. it is usually com.companyname.appname).** Then inside of each bundle and folder directory for the app I put the icon and named it with all of the 11 common (almost always used) icon names: Icon-72.png (sometimes a lowercase i), Icon-Small-50.png Icon-Small.png, Icon-Small@2x, Icon.png (usually a lowercase "i"), [email protected], iPadAppIcon.png, [email protected], iPhoneAppIcon.png, [email protected], and [email protected].**

    HOWEVER: some few apple apps such as ipod and videos have different custom icon names such as icon-MediaPlayer.png, ect. that you will need to obtain from SSH or ifile looking in /Applications/ApplicationName.app and figure out the icon names.

    I am largely aware this is a HUGE inconvenience to the creator of ipad themes BUT I wanted to prove that it still is possible to theme ipad icons in high quality without them being streched and blurry as a result of putting these icons in /Icons/appname.png. There is an advantage of theming the icons the "correct way". I am calling this the correct way because that is how icon theming was originally done and it requires a lot less resources from the ipad because instead of searching for the icon name and then placing it this way provides a directory to the actually icon location and temporarily replaces that icon with the same name when the theme is turned on. I hope this made sense and helps out the other ipad themers out there that were frustrated with blurry or streched ipad icons like me. I know there is stuff on the internet and other forums that briefly explains how this works but I wanted to create a guide that will help other theming noobs like me. (: And don't forget to hit the thanks button if this helped.


    Thanks for helping me figure this out (besisdes a bunch of trial and error) goes to Zausser for his post on ToyVan's Glass Orbs iPad thread detailing how to do it through folders and kleinmaetschke @macristocracy for describing the Bundles method. If someone wants to try just the bundles or just the folders technique and get it to work with just one tell me and you can help make the process half as annoying. I was unsuccessful in just using one though for some reason.

    macristocracy thread: http://macristocracy.com/vanilla/com...cussionID=1096

    Edit: and just in case you dont believe I actually got it to work will all the default icons... heres a screenshot with some proof of the HQ themed icons:


    Thanks for making this a sticky

    If anyone is confused by my tutorial or is way to lazy to deal with this crap but wants high quality default and cydia icons in their ipad theme you can send a few $s my way and I'll help you out(:
    Last edited by SnowLeo; 09-05-2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SnowLeo For This Useful Post:

    Bonte (06-28-2013), deathbybunnies6 (09-06-2010), kiet03 (07-26-2012), santaf (09-06-2010)

  3. #2
    Edit: I think this may be possible with just using bundles but I dont know all of the default bundle names. If someone could tell me the bundle names I will try it out and update the post.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to SnowLeo For This Useful Post:

    Alfroggy (09-02-2014)

  5. #3
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Chandigarh, India, India
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    Icon theming through winterboard on the ipad (in high quality) can only be accomplished through /Bundles and /Folders within the theme. It took me like 2 whole hours to figure out how to get all of the icons to theme correctly.

    In order to get it to work *almost* every time when theming the icons I made both a bundles directory and and folder for each app. I made folder in the Theme/Folders/ with the *exact* app name that corresponds to what it shows up in /Applications directory. (ie. for n64iphone within the /Folders/ I made a folder called n64iphone.app). **In order to obtain the /Bundles name for the icon you MUST go into Cydia (not Rock) and what it says next to ID after clicking on it in Cydia is the bundle name. (ie. it is usually com.companyname.appname).** Then inside of each bundle and folder directory for the app I put the icon and named it with all of the 11 common (almost always used) icon names: Icon-72.png (sometimes a lowercase i), Icon-Small-50.png Icon-Small.png, Icon-Small@2x, Icon.png (usually a lowercase "i"), [email protected], iPadAppIcon.png, [email protected], iPhoneAppIcon.png, [email protected], and [email protected].**

    HOWEVER: some few apple apps such as ipod and videos have different custom icon names such as icon-MediaPlayer.png, ect. that you will need to obtain from SSH or ifile looking in /Applications/ApplicationName.app and figure out the icon names.

    I am largely aware this is a HUGE inconvenience to the creator of ipad themes BUT I wanted to prove that it still is possible to theme ipad icons in high quality without them being streched and blurry as a result of putting these icons in /Icons/appname.png. There is an advantage of theming the icons the "correct way". I am calling this the correct way because that is how icon theming was originally done and it requires a lot less resources from the ipad because instead of searching for the icon name and then placing it this way provides a directory to the actually icon location and temporarily replaces that icon with the same name when the theme is turned on. I hope this made sense and helps out the other ipad themers out there that were frustrated with blurry or streched ipad icons like me. I know there is stuff on the internet and other forums that briefly explains how this works but I wanted to create a guide that will help other theming noobs like me. (: And don't forget to hit the thanks button if this helped.


    Thanks for helping me figure this out (besisdes a bunch of trial and error) goes to Zausser for his post on ToyVan's Glass Orbs iPad thread detailing how to do it through folders and kleinmaetschke @macristocracy for describing the Bundles method. If someone wants to try just the bundles or just the folders technique and get it to work with just one tell me and you can help make the process half as annoying. I was unsuccessful in just using one though for some reason.

    macristocracy thread: Macristocracy - iPad Theming

    Edit: and just in case you dont believe I actually got it to work will all the default icons... heres a screenshot with some proof of the HQ themed icons:


    Thanks for making this a sticky

    If anyone is confused by my tutorial or is way to lazy to deal with this crap but wants high quality default and cydia icons in their ipad theme you can send a few $s my way and I'll help you out(:
    I still don't get it.

    Does the offer to help for $ still stand?

    Thanks.

  6. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by fatehbajwa View Post
    I still don't get it.

    Does the offer to help for $ still stand?

    Thanks.
    I tried to explain it as good as I could be as long as its not like over 100 icons then sure just donate whatever amount you think is enough and send me the icons (and the bundle name if you can find it).

    Are these just cydia apps or appstore apps too? If they are appstore apps you need to use ssh or ifile to go into the info.plist of the app and look for the bundle name in a line of the info.plist called CFBundleIdentifer:

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to SnowLeo For This Useful Post:

    fatehbajwa (12-26-2010)

  8. #5
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Chandigarh, India, India
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Thx for the prompt reply. Could you just explain further by taking an example.
    For instance if I want to make icon for the Cydia app " Pkg Backup".........what would I need to create and where should I put it?

    Thx in advance.

  9. #6
    Did you make the themed icon for it yet? That would be the first step.

    Then go into cydia and check under package info and it will say ID followed by the bundle name (just checked and its: com.pragmatixconsulting.packagebackup)

    So you will now make a folder in your name named Bundles (if you dont already have one). Then in the Bundles folder make another folder with the bundle name- which would be com.pragmatixconsulting.packagebackup in this case.

    Then inside the com.pragmatixconsulting.packagebackup folder make 11 copies of the themed icon and place them in the folder. Rename the icons as: Icon-72.png, Icon-Small-50.png Icon-Small.png, Icon-Small@2x, Icon.png,*[email protected],*iPadAppIcon.png,*iPadAppIco [email protected],*iPhoneAppIcon.png,*[email protected], *and*[email protected]

    The reason for the 11 different names is that especially with the ipad apps use many different names for the main icon and those were the 11 main ones I found to work so theres a very good chance itll work with those.

    If none work then you will need to ssh into /Applications/pkgbackup and see what name it uses for the icon.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to SnowLeo For This Useful Post:

    fatehbajwa (12-26-2010)

  11. #7
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Chandigarh, India, India
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    Did you make the themed icon for it yet? That would be the first step.

    Then go into cydia and check under package info and it will say ID followed by the bundle name (just checked and its: com.pragmatixconsulting.packagebackup)

    So you will now make a folder in your name named Bundles (if you dont already have one). Then in the Bundles folder make another folder with the bundle name- which would be com.pragmatixconsulting.packagebackup in this case.

    Then inside the com.pragmatixconsulting.packagebackup folder make 11 copies of the themed icon and place them in the folder. Rename the icons as: Icon-72.png, Icon-Small-50.png Icon-Small.png, Icon-Small@2x, Icon.png,*[email protected],*iPadAppIcon.png,*iPadAppIco [email protected],*iPhoneAppIcon.png,*[email protected], *and*[email protected]

    The reason for the 11 different names is that especially with the ipad apps use many different names for the main icon and those were the 11 main ones I found to work so theres a very good chance itll work with those.

    If none work then you will need to ssh into /Applications/pkgbackup and see what name it uses for the icon.
    Sorry.......... guess all this photoshop/theming is not for me.
    I have attached a screenshot of the 4 Cydia icons I need.

    Pls let me know what would be suitable $ if you would be willing to make them. I need them for the graphite iPad them by santaf( thats where I found a link to your guide for making themed icons.

    Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -photo.png  

  12. #8
    For just 4 icons I dont need any $

    Oh and in graphite it appears all of the default icons are not using the bundle method and probably show up stretched on your springboard. If this is the case I can make those icons too.

    Hmm... It seems like santafs default icons are actually bigger icons so when the ipad shrinks them by using the other method it should show up not too blurry.

    Tell me if the default icons are too blurry for you because if they seem fine to you I will just use the old method for these icons instead of going through the pain in the a** method to get them to show in full resolution.

    But if you dont want them blurry at all then I will make them and the default icons.

    I just decided to make them using the old easy method because thats what all of your default icons will be.

    If you want me to make it so none of your icons are blurry (except for the blur from the lazy devs that didnt make high res icons) I will make all of the default icons and the ones you need using the bundle method.

    Heres the icons using the old method. Just place them in the "Icons" folder of the theme.





    ^Open these in a new tab then drag to desktop and place inside the "Icons" folder of the theme and ssh it back to your ipad.
    (please do not donate unless you want me to make them with the bundle method)


    On a somewhat unrelated note:
    Not sure how itll work with a theme that uses autocreates but theres an app in cydia called RetinaAppIcons that converts all of your appstore apps with blurry iphone res icons into high res ipad icons and works great without a theme installed. However with autocreates I'm not too sure if it will just show the high res icon or if itll actually theme the high res (appstore) icon. It's $1 though so if you really want high res icons for all apps you might want to try it but maybe you should search online and see if people are having trouble using it in addition to autocreates.

    Edit: Just looked it up and RetinaAppIcons should definitely work with the autocreates to make all of your APPSTORE apps automatically ipad resolution (even for the iphone apps) and theme them.
    Last edited by SnowLeo; 12-26-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to SnowLeo For This Useful Post:

    fatehbajwa (12-27-2010)

  14. #9
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Chandigarh, India, India
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    For just 4 icons I dont need any $

    Oh and in graphite it appears all of the default icons are not using the bundle method and probably show up stretched on your springboard. If this is the case I can make those icons too.

    Hmm... It seems like santafs default icons are actually bigger icons so when the ipad shrinks them by using the other method it should show up not too blurry.

    Tell me if the default icons are too blurry for you because if they seem fine to you I will just use the old method for these icons instead of going through the pain in the a** method to get them to show in full resolution.

    But if you dont want them blurry at all then I will make them and the default icons.

    I just decided to make them using the old easy method because thats what all of your default icons will be.

    If you want me to make it so none of your icons are blurry (except for the blur from the lazy devs that didnt make high res icons) I will make all of the default icons and the ones you need using the bundle method.

    Heres the icons using the old method. Just place them in the "Icons" folder of the theme.





    ^Open these in a new tab then drag to desktop and place inside the "Icons" folder of the theme and ssh it back to your ipad.
    (please do not donate unless you want me to make them with the bundle method)


    On a somewhat unrelated note:
    Not sure how itll work with a theme that uses autocreates but theres an app in cydia called RetinaAppIcons that converts all of your appstore apps with blurry iphone res icons into high res ipad icons and works great without a theme installed. However with autocreates I'm not too sure if it will just show the high res icon or if itll actually theme the high res (appstore) icon. It's $1 though so if you really want high res icons for all apps you might want to try it but maybe you should search online and see if people are having trouble using it in addition to autocreates.

    Edit: Just looked it up and RetinaAppIcons should definitely work with the autocreates to make all of your APPSTORE apps automatically ipad resolution (even for the iphone apps) and theme them.
    Thanks a ton pal...........I was just chking out the forum on my iPhone.......will do all what you suggested as soon as I get home.

  15. #10
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Chandigarh, India, India
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default Icons are slightly larger than wthe ones Graphite auto creates.
    I put the icons in the theme folder.........they are bigger in size than the autocreated ones in the graphite theme.I have attached a screenshot of them from the iPad for comparison.

    Any ideas ?

    Thx.

    EDIT: Ok.... worked this out........reduced their size to 59x59 and now they are the same size.

    Could you provide a link to some tutorial that guides about creating these graphite icons.......I need a few more done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -photo.png  
    Last edited by fatehbajwa; 12-27-2010 at 03:03 AM.

  16. #11
    To theme them not using te bundle method just use the PSD included in the theme opne it up in photoshop and place the images where there supposed to go in the PSD and save it as a .png file with the same name as it shows on the springboard.

    Sorry bout the wrong size- there were 2 PSDs included and I used the wrong one. Use the autocreate PSD to make the right sized icons.

    You can also try requesting the icons on the graphite ipad thread (:

  17. #12
    Where can I find the default native app icons so I can skin them? I looked in their <app>.app folders but didn't find anything named appropriately and, using MobilePhone.app as an example, the .PNGs inside don't display when I view them in any viewer or my art program, so if they're there, I can't see them properly.

    Can someone make a zip of all the native app icon images so we can use them or explain how to find them all (in a useable format) individually?

    Thanks!


    ~Hideto

  18. #13
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    171
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 868 Times in 137 Posts

    cool.

  19. #14
    I am using a iPad2 and can not seem to get this to work.
    Does this work on IOS 7.0.4?
    Last edited by minion1835; 01-14-2014 at 05:47 AM.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •