+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Creating custom icons on a jailbroken ipad 2

is a discussion within the

iPad Jailbreaking

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, but here goes. I have been following some guides on how to create custom winterboard icons for apps with
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Creating custom icons on a jailbroken ipad 2
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, but here goes.

I have been following some guides on how to create custom winterboard icons for apps with mixed success. I was able to create an icon for an old iPhone/iPod touch app using a resolution of 59x60, but when I tried the same thing for a native ipad app, it did not work. I have tried different resolutions as suggested elsewhere, but to no avail.

What resolution do I need to make my icons for native ipad apps? I am running this on an iPad 2.

The app I am trying to change only has one icon file (Icon.png) in its .app folder
    I am creating a winterboard theme in a bundles folder

Thanks

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,347 Times in 5,986 Posts

The icon size for iPad 2 is 72x72.

If you are creating a Bundle folder for your icon, it must be named correctly. Check the info.plist file in the apps folder and see what it has for:

cfbundleidentifier

AppInfo from Cydia can help with this.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you so much for your help. The problem was different than what I thought. I will try to explain it for anyone who reads this later for help with their own problem.

The png files you want to use for the icons need to be saved in a special way in order for the theme to recognize them. I read this in another guide that I can't currently find the link too. I also cannot remember what setting needs to be changed, but I found an easier way. The easiest way to do this is to go to the .app folder for the info.plist. From there you can see the CFBundleIconFiles to see which icon will be used. Then copy that icon to your computer (via SSH), open it in your drawing program (I use paint.NET) and paste the new icon. Then save it in you theme/bundles folder/com.xxxx.xxxxxx

I found this way was easier because you never have to worry about the file dimensions or a different way of saving.

If anyone needs to know, I have discovered the dimensions of common icons

old ipod apps: 59x60
    ipad 2 apps from appstore: 72x72
    ipad 2 apps native (eg safari): 74x76

Hope this helps someone

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,347 Times in 5,986 Posts

Also you can check this thread out. If it can be themed, they can help here.

iOS6x Theme GUIDE
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!