Hi, I'm new here, and have never jailbroken a device. I have a 1st generation iPad 1, 64 gig, 3G AT&T running iOS 5.1.1. It's become so slow it's unusable, and I believe that downgrading it to iOS 4.x might make a big difference. I've never saved SHSH blobs, and from my browsing on the web that appears to complicate matters, or maybe make it impossible, to downgrade.

Can anyone help me understand (1) if it's possible to go from 5.1.1 to 4.x without SHSH blobs, and if so, (2) what is the safest and easiest way to do that? I'm not looking to jailbreak the iPad, but also am not opposed to doing so if there's a good reason. I want to get to where the device is reasonably responsive for reading the NY Times and some magazines, reading books on the Kindle app, browsing the web, and handling email, nothing more.

I did several searches of the forum but couldn't find anything, but perhaps that's a reflection of my search skills rather than the content that's available here. Thanks in advance for any guidance, or if you can point me to other posts that answer these questions.