Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad Bricked?

Default iPad Bricked?
    My wife tried to update her iPad 3 from her laptop yesterday, before I was able to backup or save blobs (jailbroken on 5.1.1 with Absinthe). It is stuck in a Recovery loop and I cannot get it to update or restore. Itunes gives me a -1 error each time I try to update (I've tried it from different machines and even tried it from older versions of iTunes).

I was able to retrieve the blobs using iFaith and Tiny Umbrella, but they don't seem to do me any good, or else I am doing it wrong.

Redsn0w won't allow me to restore. It keeps giving me an error that it "cannot close the compressed file" (ipsw). I have read through this forum and several others looking for any similarities and so far haven't found anything.

If anyone here has any ideas or suggestions, I would be very thankful.

Do you have the restore.ipsw file downloaded? If you do, with iTunes, try shift+restore (windows), browse for the restore file and restore. I had a similar issue and I think the same error with my iPhone and I was able to restore going that route.

Quote Originally Posted by three_putts View Post
    Do you have the restore.ipsw file downloaded? If you do, with iTunes, try shift+restore (windows), browse for the restore file and restore. I had a similar issue and I think the same error with my iPhone and I was able to restore going that route.
    Sorry, I should have made it clearer, I do have the ipsw files and have attempted a restore through iTunes. That is when I get the -1 error.

Have you tried putting the device in DFU and then do a shift+restore?

yep, tried in DFU and in recovery mode with same result (-1 error). According to Apple, this can represent a hardware failure, but I think it has something to do with the jailbreak as I am getting the same message when I attempt to restore an iPhone 4 as well.

Yeah, I had the same issue with an iPhone 4 on 5.1.1 which was JB with Absinthe too but I was able to restore with with I posted above. Sorry, I don't have more helpful advice.

Default Update
    The solution is to restore in DFU mode, but you should probably try on a different machine. I tried this, and it still failed, but apparently there is a problem with the Apple servers that cause the IPSW to corrupt during download more often than not. I had my device restored at the Apple Store and this is what they told me. The Genius told me that they had been restoring devices that failed like this constantly over the last week or so. So, it would have worked from home on the right computer with the right download. I apparently just didn't try enough.

Default happened to me
    I called apple due to the fact that everyone's device worked perfect except mine, they are on window's I'm on a mac book pro. They walked me through it you have to get into your Terminal if using a mac and into itunes folder in from of the Number 74 you have to put a # and space then press enter, and that's all. I went crazy myself trying to updated it from 5.1.1 to 6.1 hours badly spent all it took was 5 mins over the phone. Hoped that helped.

Hi, I had a similar problem which I solved with TinyUmbrella. Plug your device into your computer running TinyUmbrella, go into advanced settings and uncheck the 'request SHSH from Cydia' box and also uncheck the 'set hosts to Cydia' box.
    You should now be able to update and restore from iTunes without 'error 21' or any other security errors.