Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ah no! embedded videos don't work anymore on my Jailbroken ipad2 5.0.1

Default [Fixed] Ah no! embedded videos don't work anymore on my Jailbroken ipad2 5.0.1
    embedded videos in apps and in mobile video websites are no longer working. I have run out of ideas and can't find anything on the net about my problem.

the youtube app still works. and the youtube website in safari works (but not some embedded utube clips), but other video sites don't work and youtube doesn't work on my other browsers where it used to.

Stuff I've tried so far:
    1. I have tried uninstalling several programs on cydia which I thought might have a slight chance of conflicting with the ios video drivers, and uninstalling the recent things i thought i had installed form cydia.

I have rebooted my ipad and tried safe mode.

I've looked up how to rejailbreak os 5.0.1.... not good atm.

I'm not talking about flash videos that don't normally work on Ios, I mean that in-app videos don't work anymore.

I have a news program called SMH and the embedded videos don't even show, and websites that I know should work don't work anymore. Some of them just continually load after pressing play but nothing happens, and on other sites the video doesn't even appear..... strange... very strange.
    Last edited by avocadobaby; 03-30-2012 at 03:45 AM.

I'm just after ideas if no one knows what to do

Hey I just wanted to chime in after discovering that I have the same problem today. Videos that should play through safari seem to have a circle with a slash through it over the play icon. Also, videos that should play within at lease one app I tried (streaming from a website) won't play either.

I'm guessing it's a result of something I installed recently in Cydia. Haven't figured out what yet though. Tried removing some recent additions including Bulletin and Cydelete without any luck. Do you perhaps have the iPhoto501 fix installed? That's another one I recently installed. I might try removing that when I get home...

I did have that installed. but I removed it. I'm also trying to trim down my cydia to the default apps. shouldn't safe mode eliminate this as the cause though? next step is to start uninstalling other "installed" stuff, but surely the lack of multi tasking should prevent "installed" apps from causing conflicts with the native video drivers right?

how does ios play videos anyway. Is there an ios video driver I can reinstall? is it part of the webkit? can i install or edit it somewhere? Could it be a permissions problem. i don't remember changing anything but perhaps for example the /var/mobile directory should have root permissions instead of mobile?

sorry to keep adding information, but I have a suspicion that it is a problem with quicktime.

I looked up quicktime streaming test... (i'm not sure if quicktime should work on ios as i didn't try this before i had probs... but u'd think surely it would) i found Apple - Events none of these videos will play. just never ending spinning dial. do they work for all u non broken video folks?
    Last edited by avocadobaby; 03-29-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Cool Fixed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwillis View Post
    Hey I just wanted to chime in after discovering that I have the same problem today.
    Oh yeah! I figured out how to fix it... according to Safari DownPlugin iOS5 not working! - insanelyi previously installed Safari DownPlugin iOS5 is to blame. The way I fixed it was to install this again and then uninstall it as recommended. I ran into a problem when doing this and got an error in cydia. After being forced to respring, I forcably cleared the problem then continued to remove it. Now videos work again.

I hope that this information may help anyone else with this problem.. and hopefully before you resorted to updating to 5.1

OMG i'm having the same issue, i've been searching for help and thought i was alone. I tried the sararidown plugin, installing and removing, that didn't fix it for me. But i do have the fact that i installed iphotofix at one time in common with the other poster, i've since removed it as well as iphoto and it didn't resolve it, but it does sound thats' about the same time this started happening. Can anyone have a look into the iphotofix that has knowledge of this stuff and see if there is anything that could cause this, either installing it or removing it. Cause we're stuck with this as it is, until the loophole for going from 5.1 to 5.0.1 is released, then we could upgrade and then downgrade and jailbreak again.

Try uninstalling mobile substrate from cydia. This will remove a bunch of other stuff, but nothing essential to the system or to the jailbreak. If this doesnt fix the issue, you will most likely have to restore. (not good, because the iphone 4S and ipad 2 cannot be downgraded, and there is currently no jb for a5 devices on 5.1
    (null)

Quote Originally Posted by expl0itfinder View Post
    Try uninstalling mobile substrate from cydia. This will remove a bunch of other stuff, but nothing essential to the system or to the jailbreak. If this doesnt fix the issue, you will most likely have to restore. (not good, because the iphone 4S and ipad 2 cannot be downgraded, and there is currently no jb for a5 devices on 5.1
    Unfortunately that didn't work

I also tried rebooting to safe mode and trying embedded videos and that didn't work either, which i assume means it's system related and not jb related. I really have no idea what else to try, but thanks for your suggestion.

I guess i'll wait it out in hopes a 5.1 jailbreak comes about or the A5 downgrade from 5.1 to 5.0.1 is released, so i can do a restore.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbabyte View Post
    Unfortunately that didn't work

I also tried rebooting to safe mode and trying embedded videos and that didn't work either, which i assume means it's system related and not jb related. I really have no idea what else to try, but thanks for your suggestion.

I guess i'll wait it out in hopes a 5.1 jailbreak comes about or the A5 downgrade from 5.1 to 5.0.1 is released, so i can do a restore.
    But mobile substrate controls safe mode, so if you removed it, how did u get to safe mode?
    (null)

I didn't try both things at the same time, i just mentioned that i tried removing mobile substrate as well as safe mode, both before removing substrate and after reinstalling it and it had no effect on video at all.

This bug, whatever caused it, is annoying as hell. I know there is a youtube app, but i can't watch video on any site at all, really hoping someone has another suggestion.

Im not sure, sorry the msubstrate trick didnt work for ya.
    (null)

This will be a bit tedious, but try this: go to pastebin.com and type in a list of all installed items under the "installed" tab on Cydia. Then paste the link to the pastebin in this thread. Perhaps there is one or more packages that are causing this issue on your iPad that someone may be able to point out.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

It's SBSettings. Remove SBSettings > restart springboard > remove mobile substrate > restart springboard > install mobile substrate > restart springboard > enjoy!

Had the same problem, found that holding volume up while booting will disable mobile substrate. Now embedded videos work again!