+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How do I move *data* from jailbroken iPad 2 (5.0.1) to new iPad (iPad 3) (5.1)?

is a discussion within the

iPad Jailbreaking

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Apple's nightmarish randomly-distributed and inaccessible way of storing user data is biting me in the ***. I have an iPad 2, jailbroken, running 5.0.1. And I have a new iPad.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default How do I move *data* from jailbroken iPad 2 (5.0.1) to new iPad (iPad 3) (5.1)?
    Apple's nightmarish randomly-distributed and inaccessible way of storing user data is biting me in the ***.

I have an iPad 2, jailbroken, running 5.0.1. And I have a new iPad. And I'm selling the old one tomorrow at noon, but I can't figure out how to transfer the data (not the apps - I'm having no trouble with the apps) from the iPad 2 to the iPad 3. The data I'm talking about are GarageBand songs, images/video made inside apps, books held inside apps, etc. - there's a lot of stuff in a a lot of different apps.

Normally you'd just backup and restore, but when I try to restore to the iPad 3 I get a "backup data corrupted" (or similar) message.

I'd like to do it all at once (like it would be with a backup/restore), but after trying all day I'll consider doing it app-by-app. But even that's not working - I can backup my GarageBand songs to iCloud, and I verified that they are there in iCloud, but the iPad 3 seems to have its OWN GarageBand iCloud and can't access the iPad 2's.

I thought this might work:
    1. backup the iPad 2
    2. un-jailbreak the iPad 2 so it's a wiped device running 5.0.1
    3. restore to the now unjailbroken iPad 2 running 5.0.1
    4. update the iPad 2 to 5.1
    5. backup the iPad 2
    6. restore to the iPad 3 using that backup

Main problem with that:
    • I don't know if this will work. I'm adding a step so the data goes 5.0.1 jailbroken -> 5.0.1 non-jailbroken -> 5.1 non-jailbroken , instead of 5.0.1 jailbroken -> 5.1 non-jailbroken, but it's not at all clear to me that that will help.
    • step 2 deletes all the data, so I'm screwed if it doesn't work
    • but it doesn't seem to matter since I can't find a way to restore back to new 5.0.1 condition anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Help?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Don't err body jump in here...

Lemme guess, iFile???

3. The Following User Says Thank You to trunkdog For This Useful Post:

Monchys (07-27-2013)