Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Confusing positive experience with A4 iPad

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default Confusing positive experience with A4 iPad
    Short story.
    1) bought iPad 1 wifi only off Craigslist and it had a jailbroken version of 5.1 on it (obviously a tethered jailbreak).
    2) plugged in to tiny umbrella to save 5.1 shsh. Tiny umbrella said only 5.1 shsh was available on Cydia.
    3) plugged in to redsn0w and used th feature to pull all shsh files from servers based on ECID. Redsn0w found 5.0.1 shsh.
    4) plugged back into tiny umbrella and set "fetch shsh from Cydia"(I realize I didn't have that checked at first which is probably why it didn't get my 5.0.1 shsh the first time).
    5) downloaded iPad 5.0.1 stock ipsw file and stitched with shsh using redsn0w.
    6) used tiny umbrella to set sever to Cydia and performed successful restore using signed ipsw through iTunes.
    7) untethered jailbroke using redsn0w.
    8) now successfully on untethered 5.0.1

All seems normal except I've read about needing APtickets to go between different iOS 5 firmwares. I never used ifaith during this whole process with this iPad and I'm baffled as to why I didn't need to do anything with .ifaith files or APtickets.

Can anyone shed some light onto this for me please? Thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

It'd obviously been jailbroken on 5.0.1 before, & the shsh's are stored against the device ID, so although you personally didn't have it on 5.0.1 yourself, the fact that someone else did & had it jailbroken meant that you could use this.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I get that the shsh file was saved from the previous jailbreak but my question is where was the apticket saved if at all since I didn't use ifaith to retrieve it and if it wasn't saved/I didn't use it then how did I downgrade successfully?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    I get that the shsh file was saved from the previous jailbreak but my question is where was the apticket saved if at all since I didn't use ifaith to retrieve it and if it wasn't saved/I didn't use it then how did I downgrade successfully?
    Aptickets are just Apples new shsh blobs since 5.0 so it's actually the same thing, Cydia backups were only halted for abit, but they sorted it & it backs it all up.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I read that we were supposed to use tiny umbrella to back up shsh blobs and ifaith to back up APtickets since tiny umbrella couldn't do that. Then we were supposed to stitch the combination shsh blob and apticket into a stock firmware so we could update that way. It never made a whole lot of sense to me. So I guess now tiny umbrella does shsh blobs AND APtickets?

Does that mean I can use it to back up my girlfriend's 8gb iPhone 4 blobs and APtickets since I kept getting an error in ifaith? Can I use our saved shsh blobs from tiny umbrella to make signed custom firmwares even though I was never able to get her apticket using ifaith?

Thanks

Indeed you can.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Susty For This Useful Post:

alexevo (03-21-2012)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

That's great news. Thank you. I was frustrated with the "unknown iOS" error I kept getting with her 8gb and ifaith. No issues with my 16gb though so that's good.

Thanks

No worries.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

So I hate to bother you with another question but here it goes. I was unsuccessful in getting her apticket with ifaith but I was able to get her shsh blob a couple tiny umbrella revisions ago and now they aren't signing 5.0.1 any more but she's still on 5.0.1. My assumption is that I saved just her ash but not apticket back when tiny umbrella wasnt yet capable of saving APtickets. So that's my concern.

Any advice on what to do? Same question regarding my phone but I WAS successful in getting ifaith to sve my apticket so how do I convert that .ifaith file into a usable shsh file for redsn0w to make me a custom firmware?

Thanks

I'd just make sure you've the latest version of TU & fetch your shsh's from cydia server for both devices, save the shsh locally to your desktop & then you can use redsn0w & stitch your saved shsh's & then you'll be fine...because they're saved on cydia your fine.

Forget the ifaith files you've got & just roll with tinyumbrella & go for it that way