+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 1 not being detected by computer/iTunes due to incomplete "Erase All Content..."

is a discussion within the

iPad Jailbreaking

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Welp, I've got a doozy here. I'm trying to fix an iPad 1 I've got. It is currently running 5.0.1 and was jailbroken with sn0wbreeze. An "Erase All Content and
    Thanks

Default iPad 1 not being detected by computer/iTunes due to incomplete "Erase All Content..."
    Welp, I've got a doozy here.

I'm trying to fix an iPad 1 I've got.

It is currently running 5.0.1 and was jailbroken with sn0wbreeze. An "Erase All Content and Settings" was started on it, but the last user noticed the swirl was sitting there too long and didn't show a progress bar, so they did a hard reset on the iPad.

So, now the iPad can boot completely to the OS and is the same as it was before. I'm attempting to wipe it clean at this point, but the iPad can't be detected via Windows or iTunes. Windows reports the "USB device not recognized" error, so I've tried another USB cable, multiple iTunes uninstall/reinstalls. I tried a new 3rd gen iPad and it was detected within Windows and iTunes without problem on the same computer.

There's nothing I'd really need to keep from the original iPad. I just want to get it to a state where I can perform a restore on it, even it's back to stock. Anyone have any ideas of what I can try or is this something I'll just have to take to an Apple store for them to check out? Thanks in advance.

edit: To clarify, the iPad only appears as an "Unknown Device" in the device manager. When I check the Hardware Ids for it, it only says "USB\UNKNOWN".
    Last edited by quahog_convo; 03-16-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Thanks

Have you checked to see if there is any damage to the dock connector port? Also, try to get it in DFU or even Recovery mode and see if iTunes will recognize it. If all else fails, try to use a different computer. There should be a sticky on this; never ever ever ever use the "reset all content and settings" on a Jailbroken device. It will always lead to a restore needing to be done, always. It is just the way the jailbreak works.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Imahottguy For This Useful Post:

quahog_convo (03-17-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

+1. Chances are iTunes will recognize it best in recovery mode rather than DFU, if there isn't hardware failure. To get into recovery mode:

While the device is ON, hold the home and power buttons together until the screen goes black
    Immediately release the power button when that occurs and hold the home button
    Hold the home button until you get the usb+itunes screen (if you don't get this screen, you didn't do it right)

If you didn't get it the first time, kick it out of DFU (which is what it probably is stuck in then) by holding the home and power buttons for 10 seconds, release, wait 2 seconds, power on as normal. Redo the above steps until you've got it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

quahog_convo (03-17-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    Have you checked to see if there is any damage to the dock connector port? Also, try to get it in DFU or even Recovery mode and see if iTunes will recognize it. If all else fails, try to use a different computer. There should be a sticky on this; never ever ever ever use the "reset all content and settings" on a Jailbroken device. It will always lead to a restore needing to be done, always. It is just the way the jailbreak works.
    Hmm, I have not checked to see if there's any damage to the port yet. When I put it in the normal iTunes icon Recovery mode or DFU, I simply get the "USB device not recognized error".

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    +1. Chances are iTunes will recognize it best in recovery mode rather than DFU, if there isn't hardware failure. To get into recovery mode:

While the device is ON, hold the home and power buttons together until the screen goes black
    Immediately release the power button when that occurs and hold the home button
    Hold the home button until you get the usb+itunes screen (if you don't get this screen, you didn't do it right)

If you didn't get it the first time, kick it out of DFU (which is what it probably is stuck in then) by holding the home and power buttons for 10 seconds, release, wait 2 seconds, power on as normal. Redo the above steps until you've got it.
    Yeah, I'll try this again later today, but the few times I did this yesterday, neither mode would let the iPad be detected in Windows or iTunes properly. I'll probably try the above suggestion about using another PC, too.

Thanks

*sighs* Well, I've tried again on another computer, and I'm still getting the "USB Device Not Recognized" message. Tried all the ports and I have a different cable in the office than I do at home.

Any other suggestions before I take it to an Apple Store to see if they can determine if it's a hardware issue or just because of the software?