+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Updating from jailbroken 4.3.3 to 5.0.1 w/out iTunes

is a discussion within the

iPad Jailbreaking

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Hey guys, I was hoping to get some help with how I should go about updating my iPad 2 to 5.0.1. I'm in a bit of a pickle, in that
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Updating from jailbroken 4.3.3 to 5.0.1 w/out iTunes
    Hey guys, I was hoping to get some help with how I should go about updating my iPad 2 to 5.0.1. I'm in a bit of a pickle, in that I can't use iTunes to update because the computer that originally synced with the devices crashed and I don't want to lose my media libraries. A couple questions:

How can I update from 4.3.3 (it is jailbroken with jailbreakme) to 5.0.1 safely and without losing my stuff? One of the limitations I have is that this bogus replacement computer has very limited data space and I'm working with a packed 64 gb wi-fi only model.

Once I do update, can I just follow the guide to re-jailbreak, or do I have to do something else?

On a related note, I have an iPhone 4 that is also jailbroken at 4.2.6 (done with greenpois0n) for which I have the same problem (I know this is the incorrect forum for that, just thought I'd try killing two birds with one stone)

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Backup up your contents with iTunes
    Do a restore to 5.0.1
    Do your jailbreak
    Sync back your contents with iTunes

Thanks

I had the exact same thing happen to me, iYeow is right, after you plug your iPad in iTunes will recognize it like normal. On. The left part of iTunes where it shows the iPads name and all that just right click on the iPad (assuming you're using a windows machine, if not just do the Mac equivalent of a right click) and hit transfer purchases. That'll transfer all the apps and books and all that to the computer, only bad thing, I don't think it'll transfer songs. If you didn't buy your songs with iTunes then you can't download them all to that computer with iTunes and I don't know of a way around that, I don't put songs on my iPad, I just put them all on my iPhone so I didn't even try. Anyway, after all the apps and everything transfer, BTW that could take a while, just update it. If I were you I would click restore instead of update so it'll erase everything before it updates it, then set up as new iPad, then jailbreak it, then back in iTunes just tell it to sync all the apps and everything back. It kept all my games progress and stuff like that too. You might not have to tent it up as a new iPad, but I did, the jailbreak wouldn't work until I did that, then it worked great first try.

Another option you might want to try is just updating it to 5.0.1, not restore but update, then sync it all with iCloud, then restore and jailbreak it, then sync with iCloud again. Not sure if it'll let you update without erasing all your stuff since its a different computer though, just an idea I had.

About your storage issues, the iCloud way might be your best shot if it actually works, if not you're just gonna have to clear some space out on your computer.