Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SpringBoard crashing on double-click home

Default SpringBoard crashing on double-click home
    Sometimes when I double press the home button SpringBoard will crash, but quite unpredictably. The problem usually lasts for about 15 minutes every couple of days. During that timeframe every double click will crash it - even in Substrate Safe Mode. I cannot, for the life of me, figure it out! The fact that it crashes in Safe Mode leads me to believe that some extension that doesn't use Mobile Substrate is the issue. However it's so erratic and infrequent that disabling things one-by-one is impractical.

I've attached relevant logs if anyone understands these things... I've been trying to figure this out on my own for a while now but have not been successful.

Crash log
    Syslog

This may be the cause or closely related as it matches the reported time of the crash. The thing is, however, ******* now uses Mobile Substrate and it shouldn't cause a crash in Safe Mode. Right?
    Code:
    Feb 20 12:06:06 Morris-iPad installd[438]: MS:Notice: Loading: /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/*******.dylib
    Feb 20 12:06:06 Morris-iPad installd[438]: ******* loaded into /usr/libexec/installd
    Feb 20 12:06:08 Morris-iPad SpringBoard[395]: *** Assertion failure in -[SBAppSwitcherController _iconForDownload:], /SourceCache/SpringBoard/SpringBoard-1812.6.2/SBAppSwitcherController.m:543
    Feb 20 12:06:08 Morris-iPad SpringBoard[395]: *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Could not find the downloadIcon in the iconModel'

Interesting!

I've had the same problem for about a week now, and it's been quite annoying. I finally started looking in the system log, and found the same "internal inconsistency" errors occurring. Google matched me with your posting. For the record, i am using a stock iPad2 (not jail broken) and on the current release of the OS.

This is the first I've heard of this problem. I would normally expect this to be a hardware problem, based on the way it manifests, but that doesn't fit all times that this has happened.

If anyone is tracking down this problem and needs rob ore logs, please contact me.

We also might want to list the last months worth of new apps added, and see if it's something new that we brought on board.

Thanks,
    Bruce
    Last edited by bbergman; 02-21-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Default More info
    Here are a couple other data points. Do any of these resonate with your situation?

1) I see the same behavior when I enable the multitouch gestures and pull the task bar up. This is good evidence that this is NOT a hardware problem. If it was only happening with the button press, then it might be hardware. But there is no correlation between the multitouch functionality and the button. So, it's a software issue somewhere.

2) I have another weird situation where I have apps that have not completely downloaded from the app store. In fact, one I can't seem to get rid of. So, when I update my apps, I often get a "App XYZ could not be downloaded from the app store" type error messages. Maybe related or maybe not.

3) I have used my iPad in the past for development.

Tech details: 64GB iPad2 wifi version only, 659 apps installed, 1.1GB free.

Quote Originally Posted by bbergman View Post
    I've had the same problem for about a week now, and it's been quite annoying. I finally started looking in the system log, and found the same "internal inconsistency" errors occurring. Google matched me with your posting. For the record, i am using a stock iPad2 (not jail broken) and on the current release of the OS.
    Are you getting any other interesting log messages or errors in its proximity? Have you ever jailbroken it?

We also might want to list the last months worth of new apps added, and see if it's something new that we brought on board.
    With strict App Store limitations I don't believe that could be a cause, however consult my logs for any information that may have been loaded. It will still happen before I've given it time to load very much.

1) I see the same behavior when I enable the multitouch gestures and pull the task bar up. This is good evidence that this is NOT a hardware problem. If it was only happening with the button press, then it might be hardware. But there is no correlation between the multitouch functionality and the button. So, it's a software issue somewhere.
    Agreed, it seems the switcher interface is tied directly to it.

2) I have another weird situation where I have apps that have not completely downloaded from the app store. In fact, one I can't seem to get rid of. So, when I update my apps, I often get a "App XYZ could not be downloaded from the app store" type error messages. Maybe related or maybe not.
    I have something very similar where I get a "XYZ and N others could not be downloaded at this time" error. Googling that had made me feeling alone... The difference in my case is that my apps are all present, complete, usable, and deletable. The App Store acts and prompts as if it cannot install a given app (and I'm up to "17 others") but most everything installs. A similar quirk is that it prompts me for the incorrect Apple ID when updating anything. I almost always use account B to purchase things but even when updating something purchased with B, it will ask me for A's password. The only workaround is uninstalling and installing it again, with the updated version. Infuriating!

3) I have used my iPad in the past for development.
    As have I, however I have performed a clean restore twice since then to try to make the issue go away.

Tech details: 64GB iPad2 wifi version only, 659 apps installed, 1.1GB free.
    32GB iPad 2, Wi-Fi only. 105 apps, 3.4GB free.

It happened again while I was typing this. Interestingly enough, I copied my whole post before pulling up the switcher and it remained in the pasteboard. Phew.

Also, as far back as my log goes, it has happened exactly 5 times before returning to normal. Just an interesting correlation. Do you experience that?
    Last edited by hmorris94; 02-21-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hmorris94 View Post
    Are you getting any other interesting log messages or errors in its proximity? Have you ever jailbroken it?
    I have never jailbroken this iPad2. It's barely a year old and hasn't experienced anything else bad prior to this, hardware or software-wise.

The only apps nearby are for Line2, but that's because it's loading itself in memory each reboot, so it doesn't surprise me. The apps before the crash aren't consistent, but I also haven't tried hard to read into them.

My log entry is here.

With strict App Store limitations I don't believe that could be a cause, however consult my logs for any information that may have been loaded. It will still happen before I've given it time to load very much.
    I saw your pastie, but I haven't read through the entire log. I'll check it later and see if we share any app entries in common.

I have something very similar where I get a "XYZ and N others could not be downloaded at this time" error. Googling that had made me feeling alone... The difference in my case is that my apps are all present, complete, usable, and deletable. The App Store acts and prompts as if it cannot install a given app (and I'm up to "17 others") but most everything installs.
    Okay, so we definitely have this in common, and it sounds like a very similar behavior. I get exactly the same thing, and the number "and N others" seems to increment over time. As of today, I'm up to 15. ;-) The entire thing started back a week or two ago when I tried to download a tower defense game (Area 51 Pro) that was on sale for free. At the time, the app store said it couldn't download the app because it was being modified. Usually that means the developer left the page un-submitted, or asked for a hold, or Apple decided to pull something. That persisted all day long, however, and that one app has yet to fully download. I finally gave up. To be fair, I have not tried to RE-download it, so it just comes up when I update other apps.

And like you, I googled that too, and got only one Apple forums posting. Interestingly enough, THAT thread was very recent (Jan 20, I think), and included about a dozen replies all complaining about the same thing. There was conspicuously no reply from Apple. It wouldn't surprise me if their app purchase database got all mucked up and they don't want to admit it. ;-)

Whether or not the two issues are related is debatable, but it's interesting that we both have the same two issues.

As have I, however I have performed a clean restore twice since then to try to make the issue go away.
    I did a complete wipe and restore back when 5.0 came out, but not since then. Bummer to hear that a restore didn't make the issue go away (I was about to try that...). That might lend some credence to the idea that it's a particular app causing it, though.

Even when I give the iPad a complete reboot, I can sometimes get this to happen again, so it's not like when I run app X, then it happens immediately afterwards (which was one of my original theories).

32GB iPad 2, Wi-Fi only. 105 apps, 3.4GB free.
    Okay, so it doesn't sound like it's related to memory configuration, number of apps or free space. Well, it was a stretch. ;-)

Also, as far back as my log goes, it has happened exactly 5 times before returning to normal. Just an interesting correlation. Do you experience that?
    I dunno. I'll try some experiments on mine tonight and post back in a bit.

Here are two links to the "can't be downloaded" message. It definitely seems to be a recent phenomenon, as all the google hits are within the past couple of weeks.

Discussion 1

Discussion 2

That second link seems to have the problem defined, and someone even mentioned they reported it to Apple, who isn't responding. It definitely sounds like our problem. Now I wonder if any of them have the double-click problem? I think I'll ask.

Thanks,
    bruce
    Last edited by bbergman; 02-21-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Okay, so we definitely have this in common, and it sounds like a very similar behavior. I get exactly the same thing, and the number "and N others" seems to increment over time. As of today, I'm up to 15. ;-) The entire thing started back a week or two ago when I tried to download a tower defense game (Area 51 Pro) that was on sale for free. At the time, the app store said it couldn't download the app because it was being modified. Usually that means the developer left the page un-submitted, or asked for a hold, or Apple decided to pull something. That persisted all day long, however, and that one app has yet to fully download. I finally gave up. To be fair, I have not tried to RE-download it, so it just comes up when I update other apps.
    I am experiencing the same issue. I finally managed to download a certain app, but once in a while the can't download "app-in-question" and xx others pops up. After such a message, I experience the double-click-home springboard crash. A (hard/soft) iPad restart did not fix anything.

When it happened the fist time, switching multi-touch gestures off and on fixed it. The second time (today), it did not. In fact the popup was shown while the twitter app was updated (the app listed in the pop up was loaded on my iPad!). After the alert, the twitter app icon did appear transparent, with title (no waiting or loading indicator) and I could not click it. So I launched it from the multitasking-bar. After exiting it using double-click springboard crashed and that continued always from that time on.

I deleted twitter app, but problem persisted.
    I re-installed twitter app, successfully, and the problem was gone. So I assume, that the springboards opened-app-list data gets somehow corrupted when apps state are "bad" (caused by whatever reason) and showing/rendering the multitask menu crashes springboard.

One idea could be to try to get rid of all listed apps in the multitasking menu and also delete possible "bad" apps. With bad apps I mean those apps which have somehow had issues during download from appstore such as listed above.

I think you have the right idea, case42. It would seem legitimate anyhow.

For the past week or so, I haven't seen the crashing behavior. The "XX apps" errors is less frequent too, but I have seen it twice in the past few days.

I'll keep monitoring for other comments and for possible solutions.

Thanks!

I have a jail broken iPad 2 and my spring board crashes when I try to use gravity board. :-(. Any ideas of why this is happening? Thanks!!

I'm having the same weird issue here... Seems that installing and running iWipeCache fixes the problem... May be it has to do with some missing icon on Springboard, which the multitasking bar tries to load ??

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hi, I had this, but I can't remember what I did to cure it at the time as I had other issues which included
    Unified IPod slowing spotlightsearch and IconSupport causing Safari to crash. But have a read of this post as I also had a multitasking bar background issue which was fixed here by clearing out the springboard cache. I also removed FaceBook This.
    Folder background image suddenly downscaled? (4S / Absinthe jailbreak)