+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How To] WeatherIcon on iPad 2

is a discussion within the

iPad Jailbreaking

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
WeatherIcon uses the stock Weather App on the iPhone to retreive data to display over the icon and in the Statusbar, but the iPad doesn't come with a Weather App.
    Thanks

Default [How To] WeatherIcon on iPad 2
    WeatherIcon uses the stock Weather App on the iPhone to retreive data to display over the icon and in the Statusbar, but the iPad doesn't come with a Weather App. You can SSH into your device and copy the Weather App from another iDevice to your iPad but it isn't pretty and has questionable legality. There is a very simple way that involves only copy and pasting 2 sets of numbers from Yahoo! Weather.

1. Go into Settings and tap WeatherIcon -> Weather Settings.
    [How To] WeatherIcon on iPad 2-imageuploadedbymodmyi1323312148.498681.jpg
    [How To] WeatherIcon on iPad 2-imageuploadedbymodmyi1323312402.871241.jpg

2. Go to weather.yahoo.com and find the city you want to track. For this example I chose Cuppertino, CA. In the URL find the set of numbers near the end and copy and paste in the Location box under "Advanced Users Only"
    [How To] WeatherIcon on iPad 2-imageuploadedbymodmyi1323312651.080810.jpg

3. Back in Safari tap on the RSS icon.

4. In the URL look for a set of letters and numbers near the end of the URL. In this case it is "USCA0273". Copy and paste this in the Location box in settings BEFORE the numbers you coppied from step 2.
    [How To] WeatherIcon on iPad 2-imageuploadedbymodmyi1323313050.622524.jpg

5. You're almost done. The two sets of numbers need to be separated by a "|" which can be found on the Symbols Keyboard on the middle row, third from the left. Make sure the Override toggle is on and that's it.

You now have WeatherIcon working seamlessly without SSH or copying the Weather App from your iPhone!
    Last edited by FireSpyder; 12-07-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks

Or you can get Fahrenheit in the App Store, it is $0.99. It displays the current temp as a badge on the apps icon. Granted it doesn't show the current conditions, but it is easy. Also, I have it in my NotificationCenter as well, around every 20-30 minutes.

I like your hack though! I am going to try it now.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Thanks

My iPad 2 is jailbroken on iOS 4.3.3 and I'm not ready to lose it for iOS 5. This just makes WeatherIcon work like the iPhone so you can get the weather updates on the status bar and overlaid on your favorite weather app, whatever that is. I use the Weather Chanel Max + or some such, that doesn't have badges.

I've looked around the net quite a bit and haven't found anyone sharing this method. It seems everyone else is promoting the copy the Weather App from an iPhone method. Hope this helps people.
    Last edited by FireSpyder; 12-07-2011 at 08:58 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Fantastic! Thanks for the guide, I was at a deadend without an iphone to grab things from.
    Works on iPad2 5.0.1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you every much for this great guide, now... Is there way to add weather to notification Center like in iPhone? That would be great too! Thanks again.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

RSS has gone. So ATM:
    1. Go to wather.yahoo.com and enter your city in the search box. As before the set of digits at the end of the URL in the address bar are the WOEID that will go after the |
    2. Click on 'Hourly Forecast' the set of characters and digits you need now are immediately after the graph/ part of the URL and before the ?
    For example, I end up with USMA0162|12758453. Easy huh?

The WOEID can also be got from zip to woeid. But I don't know about the part before the |. I will try and come up with a suitable web page...