Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New DirecTV app update

Default New DirecTV app update
    The new DirecTV app update does not work on jailbroken iPad. I get a message popup.

I know. Complete garbage. I can't wait until we have a hack like TWC customers. I jailbreak almost exclusively to use the Exchange Unlock app, and that's it. Now I lose the ability to use the DTV app simply because I am jailbroken? Unacceptable.

What is exchange unlock? Never heard of it. Just so you all know, the people that make these apps, DirecTV in this case, don't care if you're jailbroken, it's the tv and movie producers that care. They think having a jailbroken device means you are gonna rip their tv shows and movies from the app and upload them to torrent sites. I'm sure that's possible with a jailbroken device but it would rarely happen, and you can already get everything on torrent sites, it's not like it's not already there.

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

He means use more than one exchange account I think.
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan

Excellent! Thanks!

Nice, a fix for it already! I don't have DirecTV, but how stupid could they be to just include a key in a PList file to check for Jailbreaks? Shame on them for excluding us. Honestly now, are we all pirates? Does being a Jailbreaker mean that you condone piracy? I can go to chronictv on any iOS device and watch several different TV shows for free, Jailbroken or not. I understand that the content providers are that far behind the times, and are completely Internet illiterate, but really?
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Default DTV forces you to buy their wifi router for $30+ to use the app
    We need to dish out another $32 to DTV to get the useless app if we have whole-house HD-DRV setup. The Ethernet port will not work if we don't buy the DTV Wi-Fi router

If they allow customer to watching DTV on iPad away from home then I may consider it

I am thinking about just getting a slingbox.

Today's update ignores the plist setting for checking jailbreak.

Default DirecTV Nomad
    get from DTV website:

"Introducing DIRECTV nomad™. Now you have the freedom to watch your recorded shows and movies anywhere. The innovative DIRECTV® nomad™ allows you to sync your HD DVR with your cell phone, laptop, or tablet and take your recorded programs with you wherever you go. No Internet connection required to watch, so you can enjoy your favorites anywhere, anytime, without worrying about getting disconnected."

this is a much better option. it allows customer to watch pre-record program at home or away from home. I still think customer with whole-house setup still need the DTV wifi router for the setup to work

I have the whole home setup and I am working off my regular router.
    BTW, the cydia app still fixes the DTV app.

I would rather get the slingbox so you can watch any channel at anytime and still watch your recorded items also. They are about the same cost. The only thing the nomad does is sync them onto your device so you don't need wi-fi wherever you are. I am never anywhere there is not wi-fi, especially once the new JB is out for the 4S and I can get MyWi.
    Last edited by Darkspell; 10-31-2011 at 04:16 PM.