Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ipad 2 4.3.3 jailbroken, can't update to ios 5 help please!

Default ipad 2 4.3.3 jailbroken, can't update to ios 5 help please!
    Hi all,

I have an ipad 2 wifi on firmware 4.3.3 jailbroken.

I'm trying to upgrade to the new ios 5.0 (i know it's not jailbroken yet) but seem to have problems when trying to do the update with itunes. I'm getting error code: 3194

Do I need to put the ipad into DFU mode or something?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

Go to your hosts file and delete lines ending with gs.apple.com and restore again.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Destroybot (10-26-2011)

Default Similar problem
    Hi, rather than making an entirely new thread i figured i could probably ask the question right here. I have an iphone 4, currently with IOS 4.3.5, and jailbroken with cydia, and i keep getting the forementioned error when trying to update to 5.0. Am i also supposed to arrange in these hosts files, and if so, how do i do this on an iphone?
    Thanks in advance

Not on the iPhone silly

On the pc running the itunes, if it's a windows machine go to /windows/system32/drivers/etc and you will find the hosts file (just hosts, no extension).

Open in notepad (it's a simple text file) and remove any lines containing apple.com.

Cheers

Art

Oh..i do feel kinda silly, actually

However, in said text file, i dont have anything containing apple.com?

I guess we need to break out the heavy guns. From Redmond Pie:

iTunes Error 3194 – What Does It Mean

So, before I tell you how to fix error 3194 on your iTunes I’ll shed some light on what this error is all about. If you don’t already know, the iTunes error 3194 is quite a common error that iOS users have to face recently.

It is an error that sometimes occur when you try to restore the iOS on your iPhone, iPod, or iPad. And the main cause for it to happen is when you upload a custom jailbroken firmware to upgrade or downgrade your device’s iOS. When you upload a jailbroken firmware that is not recognized by the Apple firmware signing services on your iTunes, the firmware signing service blocks you from using the firmware thus resulting in you not being able to change the firmware on your Apple device.

For many Apple device users (meaning iPhone, Ipod, and iPad users), jailbreaking their device is a common choice. However, users who have jailbroken their device and would like to restore their firmware to stock or change it to the custom iOS 4.3.3 firmware very often encounter error 3194. This error is also often noticed to occur when users use Cydia to jailbreak their device, change the system host file to Cydia’s SHSH server, and later try to change the firmware version.

Fixing Error 3194

Fixing error 3194 is quite simple but you still need to pay attention to the steps. Since this problem is triggered when the Apple firmware signing services detects an unsigned custom firmware, a solution for it is to block the firmware signing service. Here’s how you do it:

1. First of all, exit iTunes.

2. After you have done that, you now have to locate your hosts file. You can find this file in Cwindows\system32\drivers\hosts.

3. Now, open the hosts file with Notepad. You need to have Administrator Privileges to edit this file so make sure you open Notepad with Administrator Privileges by right-clicking Notepad and select Run as Administrator.

4. At the bottom of the hosts file, one line below the last text, type in this; #74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

5. Next, connect your device to your computer and launch iTunes.

6. Put your device into DFU Mode when it is connected to your computer. You do this by first turning off the device, then hold down the power and the sleep button for about 10 seconds. After 10 seconds, release the power button but keep holding down the home button until iTunes says that your device is in the recover mode.

7. Now, you can use iTunes to restore the iOS on your Apple device as usual.

8. After you have updated your iOS, in the hosts file which you have edited earlier remove the #71.208.105.171 gs.apple.com line that you added. This is to allow iTunes to perform updates as usual.

Hi once again, thanks for the help thus far and sorry for the slow response, have been sort of computer-less the last few days due to various reasons

Anyhoo, im getting aaaaalll the way to stop 3, where i am supposed to open the notepad w/ admin privileges. I can't seem to do this, however, how does one do so with Windows 7? :s I can't even set it to always use notepad as standard program when opening files of this format

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

Go to control panel, folder option and choose unhide Ext.

how to do it in mac?