+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 1 Gestures and Display Mirroring Without Jailbreak

is a discussion within the

iPad Jailbreaking

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Hi guys, thanks so much for this. I saw a link on Gizmodo to this site, this is my first post here. One minor glitch was that, for me, after
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi guys, thanks so much for this. I saw a link on Gizmodo to this site, this is my first post here.

One minor glitch was that, for me, after this hack safari would just crash each time I tried to open it. After a few more searches I came across this advice:

Safari Not Working – Cydia Icon Missing after RedSn0w Jailbreak | Iphone 3GS Problems

Which suggested the solution of using the modified redsn0w app to reboot the device. So, I reconnected the iPad to the mac, started iTunes, turned off the iPad, started redsn0w, selected extras>reboot, followed the instructions to go into DFU mode and then the device rebooted. Safari now works again, my iPad seems all fine and multitouch gestures work.

The same thing happened on both iPad 1s that I ran this on.

A big thanks to the community for working this out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

First post for me as well. I want to add to the list of those with no airplay mirroring video, just audio. I get the Apple TV to appear in Airplay but no option for mirroring.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

d.B., You are amazing! This is exactly what I needed on my iPad 1! The gestures became such a big part of how I used the iPad and it was disappointing that Apple took it out. I also use TV out a lot and the mirroring works great! I use the VGA connector and I just finished playing a round of Real Racing 2 HD on my TV just before posting this. Thanks again and keep up the excellent work!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Worked like a charm! Thank you!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Tnx db For the windows version and for the gestures! Works fine by me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Display Mirroring

- Working perflectly with HDMI cable
    - Nothing wirelessly.

As i read the first post again, it doesn't seem to be advertised as working with wifi.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi, just an update, despite this not being a full jailbreak my iPad 1 will not open iBooks after this modification. This is apparently a known issue but there does not seem to be a fix. So, be aware that you will not be able to access iBooks at all if you make this modification.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PhilCollins View Post
    Hi, just an update, despite this not being a full jailbreak my iPad 1 will not open iBooks after this modification. This is apparently a known issue but there does not seem to be a fix. So, be aware that you will not be able to access iBooks at all if you make this modification.
    iBooks works just fine for me. There is no reason this tweak should affect iBooks. While I do not doubt your problem is genuine, did you perform a real jailbreak before?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This works perfectly, thanks so much!

Anybody know if it works on the iPhone 4?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PhilCollins View Post
    Thanks, I hadn't tried opening iBooks since applying this mod. However, I just did so and indeed it tries to open and then crashes. I tried removing and reinstalling iBooks but to no avail. iBooks was working fine previously so I have to assume the mod is the reason.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I ran through this on my iPad 1 (iOS 5) and I have mirroring, gestures and iBooks works fine.

I used the windows version of redsn0w.
    Last edited by muttleyuk; 10-22-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Missing info

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Still trying to figure out iBooks but has anyone gotten wireless mirroring functioning or is it confirmed to be enabled by cable only with this mod?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Pretty sure it's wired only.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by muttleyuk View Post
    Pretty sure it's wired only.
    Thanks. I ran the mod again and this time I only checked "Enable Multitask Gestures" and did not check "Install Cydia". After the mod completed installation iBooks is working perfectly again.

I'm glad I didn't give up on it and go back to the standard firmware.

I am going to be investing in the HDMI cable now. Thanks, d.B., for this awesome mod!
    Last edited by SaSaSushi; 10-22-2011 at 07:22 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by d.B. View Post
    iBooks works just fine for me. There is no reason this tweak should affect iBooks. While I do not doubt your problem is genuine, did you perform a real jailbreak before?
    Hi, thanks for looking into this. I'll try and give as much detail as I can in case it helps fix this.

I've got 2 iPad1 devices (my wife and I) both are 64Gb wifi/3G. Neither have ever been jailbroken before, however, they were both set to developer mode prior to iOS5.

I ran the mod yesterday exactly as described on Gizmodo, i.e. I just selected install multi-touch gestures, NOT install cydia. After the install the multitouch gestures worked but Safari crashed on opening each time. I did not check iBooks at that time. Following advice on another site I re-ran redsn0w and selected extras>just reboot. After this, Safari worked but ibooks does not. This was exactly the same on both iPads.

Today, I re-ran the mod on my iPad. As before, after running it Safari just crashes. This time, I checked iBooks and at this point it did work. I then re-ran the mod and selected extras>just reboot again. Now Safari works but iBooks does not. Perhaps it is the reboot that is messing with iBooks? If so, what else should I do to get Safari working? I obviously care a lot more about Safari than iBooks.

All help appreciated!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scopeguy45 View Post
    While I admit I had to go to the google page to put iPad into DFU, once I did that just as advertised. Sit back and be patient, when your device finally boots up and you swipe from the lock screen settings were already set for me to enable gestures (switched on!).

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I can't add much more to the chagrin of all of that used gestures in development mode for months and had it taken away, it's been said and the sentiments are all good from the subtle to the downright nasty. Apple's, quiet non-response does hurt its image for me. They always responded to customer concerns with at least a reason. I submitted a hardware problem to their support site over four days ago and have yet to get any response. Reading Steve Jobs' biography and finding he was primarily motivated by end users and litterly fought for them, may have him rolling in his grave, this happening within a week of his passing.

I hope this is not a glimpse of the new Apple w/o Jobs. If so, they are stubbing their collective toes and will become just another company. This will leave a big void to fill, but in this world, it will be filled by something else that's not Apple. I truly hope not, but it will happen if the new Apple is what I hope it's not.

Most importantly is for me to write again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Larry
    Could you please post back here when you hear from Apple regarding your "hardware problem".

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks, thanks, and thrice thanks! Transformed my device from having the multitasking gesture then having them whisked away like some abhorant child! Superb stuff. I broke my fretting hymen with this mod,mand it is very much appreciated, d.B.

A thousand thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default How can do replace fonts without Jailbreak?
    Hi, d.B. I wanna replace my favorite iOS' Chinese fonts without Jailbreak, but I don't know code.

How can do modify ramdisk let redsn0w replace /System/Library/Fonts/Cache/STHeiti-Light.ttc and STHeiti-Medium.ttc?

I can't uploaded the modified fonts in this page. If need it, I'll send to you.

Please give me your hand, d.B. Many thanks.
    Last edited by realsteve; 10-25-2011 at 04:56 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs up Mirroring Works With VGA Adapter
    Thanks for this mod. Hardest part is getting into DFU mode. Timing is everything. I had to run the sequence faster than the redsn0w prompts said: press power button (6 sec), then also press home button (4 sec), then release power button while still holding home, then release home as soon as redsn0w mod successfully starts running. If you get a fail, the sequence or timing was probably off. Just try to do it again. When it works, just let it run and reboot.

For me, gestures works immediately and are great. Mirroring doesn't work wirelessly or with component video adapter, but it does work great with VGA adapter. It's awesome for apps that don't support Airplay, and for training people to use iPads! This is just what I needed. Thanks again!!!

Apple should definitely open these features up to iPad 1 users, the early adopters who helped make the product a success. People will still buy upgrade models for their hardware features.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've just registered at modmyi not only to thank you (a lot!), but also to let you know that the guy responsible of

iPad Gestures and Airplay by ~alvincapalad on deviantART

not only presents your mod without giving you the proper credit: he also names the zip file after himself...!