+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What are the chances of an iPad 2 ios 5 untethered jailbreak coming out?

is a discussion within the

iPad Jailbreaking

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
My situation is that I only want to keep my ipad 2 if I will be able to jailbreak it, and right now i'm on 4.3.5 without SHSH blobs and
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default What are the chances of an iPad 2 ios 5 untethered jailbreak coming out?
    My situation is that I only want to keep my ipad 2 if I will be able to jailbreak it, and right now i'm on 4.3.5 without SHSH blobs and i have until 10/14 to return the ipad 2. Should I keep it or return it? Is there a very very high chance there will be an untethered ios 5 jailbreak in the future. I just don't want to be stuck with an unjailbreak-able ipad 2.

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

Heck yeah there will be an untethered Jb for iOS 5

Thanks

Yes there will be a jailbreak for the iPad 2 on iOS 5. Prolly as soon as the devs get the iPhone 4s in their hands so they can test it. The iPhone 4s has the same A5 processor that the iPad 2 has, so if they jailbreak the iPhone 4s the iPad will utilize the same exploit to jailbreak.

Even without the jailbreak why would you return the iPad 2? If you want a tablet you already have the best one on the market.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'll be a little annoyed if the are waiting to get the iPhone 4S to release a JB for the iPad 2.......which has the same processor! And how long has the 2 been out now? They've had all this time to perfect the iPad 2 JB on the betas, why would they wait for the 4S to release it?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Kenjari's Avatar
    Thanks

I could be wrong but I think it's a calculated move on developers part. Whether it was i5 or i4s, if chances are that the new device will have the same BB and processor then it would be better to save the exploit and have two leading devices JB then one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maxnic View Post
    I'll be a little annoyed if the are waiting to get the iPhone 4S to release a JB for the iPad 2.......which has the same processor! And how long has the 2 been out now? They've had all this time to perfect the iPad 2 JB on the betas, why would they wait for the 4S to release it?
    Because of the nature of Detente.
    Its not a horse race, it's asymmetric warfare.
    Last edited by raduga; 10-13-2011 at 08:26 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

They did release a jailbreak for 4.3.3. If they released a jailbreak for 4.3.5, they'd use up an exploit. Apple would then be able to patch said exploit before iOS 5. Now, we have iOS 5. Now they're going to wait for the 4s to be released. If they don't, apple will have a chance to patch the exploit before the 4s drops. They're trying not to show Apple their hand, and trying to hit as many devices as possible with one jailbreak.

I know waiting sucks, but you've got to be patient. They can't release a jailbreak for every device and every firmware every time. There just aren't enough exploits.

Be patient. My guess is within the next two or three weeks you'll see an untethered iPad 2 iOS 5 jailbreak. I'm in the same boat. My iPad 2 is brand new on 4.3.5...

Green Apple
    Thanks

im also running 4.3.5 on ipad 2 should i upgrade to ios 5 or wait.
    thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fairlaidy View Post
    im also running 4.3.5 on ipad 2 should i upgrade to ios 5 or wait.
    thanks
    I'd upgrade. I think the 4.x jailbreak ship has sailed. 4.3.5 won't be fooled with unless the 5.x jailbreak HAPPENS to cover it as well. And I'd that's the case, well...you'd probably want the newer OS with all the new features.

Upgrade.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You all make good points, they're not going to release a jailbreak until they can cover as many devices on it as possible...my main question is still, the iOS 5 betas have running around since July or earlier, and all the news from the dev teams appears to be they've successfully were able to JB all the other devices except iPad 2. I get my hopes up when I hear that we could see a JB in a few days/weeks/months...but they've had all this time and it doesn't sound like they've been able to locate an exploit for the 2. I mean, they released info stating they had 5 userland exploits for the other devices a month before iOS 5 went to the public, and still there's nothing from the teams that ive read so far saying there's even a possible exploit they've found. Is it really necessary to stay completely silent? Not even say "we may have something for the iPad 2/ iPhone 4S"?

Thanks

Is it really necessary to stay completely silent? Not even say "we may have something for the iPad 2/ iPhone 4S"?
    Yes.

The more they reveal, the easier for Apple to figure out what they exploited, and patch before it can be used.

It's like playing poker.
    You keep your cards to yourself until its time to play them. Otherwise, you lose.

Thanks

I find it funny that people ask these sort of questions. It's not like jailbreaking is a product that you can get at the store and any random person would be able to answer your question as to when it would be out. You are waiting on someone to find an exploit in the OS that allows them to inject the code to take over the device, then package it to be user friendly without any type of piracy of the apple IOS, and provide it to the community. If you want to help with the process, donate to your favorite dev so that they can afford to take the time from their normal life to work on it. There is no guarantee when or if a jailbreak will be released and all you can do is be thankful when they are released.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nefarious For This Useful Post:

Imahottguy (10-14-2011), scandalex (10-13-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
    I find it funny that people ask these sort of questions. It's not like jailbreaking is a product that you can get at the store and any random person would be able to answer your question as to when it would be out. You are waiting on someone to find an exploit in the OS that allows them to inject the code to take over the device, then package it to be user friendly without any type of piracy of the apple IOS, and provide it to the community. If you want to help with the process, donate to your favorite dev so that they can afford to take the time from their normal life to work on it. There is no guarantee when or if a jailbreak will be released and all you can do is be thankful when they are released.
    Nefarious.....once again understood. I've also donated so I got that base covered. Once again what I am wondering is everyone is talking about being strategic, playing poker, releasing it at the right time. How was it strategic to let it known a month in advance that there were any exploits for any device?? Werent they worried Apple may have pushed back the release of iOS 5 to patch the holes? I love my iPad 2 on iOS 5. I've been running around the office today showing it off to everyone. I can wait. But once again, there isnt any word there is any possible jailbreak for the iPad 2, and people keep saying we should see something soon. My question is how does anyone know we should see anything? That is the question I'm really asking. How is anyone believing there is a possible JB for these new devices? I'm pretty much asking you're last sentence, how are people saying there will be one at all?

Thanks

Nefarious.....once again understood. I've also donated so I got that base covered. Once again what I am wondering is everyone is talking about being strategic, playing poker, releasing it at the right time. How was it strategic to let it known a month in advance that there were any exploits for any device?? Werent they worried Apple may have pushed back the release of iOS 5 to patch the holes? I love my iPad 2 on iOS 5. I've been running around the office today showing it off to everyone. I can wait. But once again, there isnt any word there is any possible jailbreak for the iPad 2, and people keep saying we should see something soon. My question is how does anyone know we should see anything? That is the question I'm really asking. How is anyone believing there is a possible JB for these new devices? I'm pretty much asking you're last sentence, how are people saying there will be one at all?
    watch this video. It explains everything you need to know about Jailbreaking.

Last edited by raduga; 10-13-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks

My take on it is that they are just making assumption. I've had every iphone released (except 4S as of writing this), multiple ipods, an apple tv 2, and just purchased an ipad 2 yesterday. Each and every device has been jailbroken except for my first gen ipod and my ipad and its always the same thing time after time. People blurt out what they assume with hopes that it will be reality and at the same time getting them some attention. I hope we see an untethered jb for IOS 5 in the near future and a lot of what I wanted an ipad for relies on it, but in the meantime I'm just going to enjoy what I have and watch the updates as the come out. As for the OP (original poster), if you are under a time restraint on returning it and you only want it if it can be jailbroken, then return it and save your pennies to repurchase should a jailbreak come out in the future.

Thanks

Will there be an untethered JB? Yes, but it could be here in a day, month, year or decade. Honestly, if you purchase something not because of what it has, but what it may get in future, isn't that a little silly? I didn't buy the AppleTV2 in hopes of it getting access to the App Store in a future update... The same should apply with Jailbreaks; if you cannot live with your iDevice in a stock state, perhaps you should check out other tablets... Not trying to be rude, but come on. No one on these forums will be able to give anyone a definitive answer as to when the unthethered JB will be out.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

iPhone? More like MyPhone Spaceman1701's Avatar
    Thanks

I had both my iphone 4 and ipad 2 on IOS4.3.3 and jailbroken. I upgraded to IOS 5 the day it came out. It is worth it even without the jailbreak. I have no doubt a JB for IOS 5 and ipad 2, will be along shortly.