+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tethering iPad to iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPad Jailbreaking

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
I know a few months back I read about tethering iPad to iPhone, but apple detected you and upgraded your data plan automatically. Has there been any workarounds for this?
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Tethering iPad to iPhone
    I know a few months back I read about tethering iPad to iPhone, but apple detected you and upgraded your data plan automatically. Has there been any workarounds for this? Or will I be stuck paying more to apple?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Apple doesn't gets paid , only your Carrier gets paid. Don't think there is any workaround. Unfortunately, this is happening in the states, in Asia, you can tether all you want, except for example : if you have a 6 gig subscription, when it reaches the max for the month, you can still tether but the speed slows down.

Thanks
    This article should help you out.
    http://www.redmondpie.com/how-att-tr...-it-from-them/

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Apple doesn't gets paid , only your Carrier gets paid. Don't think there is any workaround. Unfortunately, this is happening in the states, in Asia, you can tether all you want, except for example : if you have a 6 gig subscription, when it reaches the max for the month, you can still tether but the speed slows down.
    You tell me running roms on an iPad is piracy, yet condone this? Sir, your logic is flawed. Oh, also someone else posted an entire post about GBA roms (here) and it is still open.
    Just saying.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jawwwwsh View Post
    You tell me running roms on an iPad is piracy, yet condone this? Sir, your logic is flawed. Oh, also someone else posted an entire post about GBA roms (here) and it is still open.
    Just saying.
    I do see the irony in this, but I believe the reason is because ROMs are piracy unless you own the cartridge game of the ROM you download, tethering with out a plan however is not illegal. Its just a breach of your contract with the carrier and frowned upon because you're not paying twice for the same data.

On topic, I have been using PDAnet for a while and haven't had any warnings, I am on Verizon though and they only recently started changing contracts.

Thanks

I have MyWi on my iPad, and have tethered to my MB on a few occasions now and have yet to receive any texts/emails/letters letting me know that AT&T is privy to my doing so, nor have my bills been any different.

@jawwwsh I see what you are saying, but the founders and perhaps a few mods are the ones who set the rules, and we are all expected to follow them if we want to continue to be able to post here. The subject of tethering, at least in my opinion, is that of morals and ethics rather than legality. Whereas the area of emus and ROMs does cross into copyright infringement territory. I understand that you were not asking for help specifically for ROMs, but rules are rules.

Back on topic: I have heard that PDAnet works differently, and those that I have talked to that use it have had no issues with their carriers. Also, aren't those that are in the top 5% or so for bandwidth hogs the ones being targeted here?
    Last edited by Imahottguy; 09-02-2011 at 08:28 PM.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

+1 I use MyWi on my iPhone and connect on my iPad 2 to use 3G never heard anything or saw anything on my bill and I'm still one of the lucky ones with unlimited data on AT&T. But I dont go crazy.

Thanks

I use Tetherme and also haven't heard anything from ATT. I think the people receiving warnings and changes to their contract are tethering to their laptops and not iPads.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I just recieved this email today. They said I went over 4gbs of usage but according to my data trend usage on the AT&T website I haven't gone over 2.2gbs in the past 5 months.

Called them, this was my first notice...not being charged, but they guys said...after me playing dumb..."if you are or are not, stop it, they will charge you and you will lose your unlimited plan..."

So I guess no more MyWi tethering in the future.

Not really sure how to contact the people at MyWi about this issue. I'm sure I won't be the only one getting this.

Thanks

developers have already stated, using mywi is very obvious to the carrier. They can see what tunnel the data is flowing through (if you know what I mean). I use it but only in an emergency, I won't use my mywi to tether and download 2 gigs over 3G.

Thanks

I got the warning from AT&T using MyWi. Changed to PDAnet and haven't heard anything since. But I'm not using it for mass use. Just for my iPad and sometimes a laptop. I rarely go over 2GB.

Thanks

A friend of mine got a letter from at&t about the same thing, he has never tethered but he streams tv over 3g a lot. Its not just about tethering its about using large amou ta of data