Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Veency over USB tethering?

Lightbulb Veency over USB tethering?
    Hi Guys

I've searched everywhere and tried lots of ways to connect my iPad over USB, but it ain;t happening.

iTunnel doesn't work. The cmd prompt just sits there.
    I tired copying over iTunesMobileDevice.dll from my current iTunes Installation, to my iTunnel folder. I even copied ALL the dll's over to see if that would get it going.

I want to connect Veency over USB as I'm trying to create a demo video of a touchosc template I've created.

It works OK over WiFi but the frame rate is a bit slow. I was thinking a nice USB connection would sort that out.

Any ideas anyone?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It is possible ... almost anything is possible USB tethering proves the concept is sound. But I've never see it implemented this way.

Default Thanks for the moral support
    Thanks for the moral support.. Other than that you can almost hear the tumbleweed rolling past. I must be the only person wanting to do this..

I'm sure there's other reasons to VNC over USB. Sneekily playing games at work for example..

Hopefully a bright spark somewhere will have the answer....

What about display recorder in Cydia?
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    What about display recorder in Cydia?
    That's just for the iPhone I think, and the frame rate is even worse than VNC.

For everyday use, VNC over WiFi would be fine, mostly, but VNC over USB would rock out with it's.... **ahem..** out...

I just had a brainwave. MyWi lets you tether via USB.... The answer was under my nose all along, or so I thought.
    I gave it a shot, unplugged my ethernet cable from my PC, turned off WiFi from my iPad aaaand.. Nothing..

MyWi must block the ports that VNC uses or something... Ahh well. It was worth a shot.
    Last edited by infusion2k7; 08-09-2011 at 07:16 AM.

Get ifunbox and start a usb tunnel. Then use vnc client to go to the IP it says next to VNC server in iFunbox
    Last edited by zipxavier; 08-10-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^^zipavier's idea works on a local network. Have not tested it over disperse networks yet.
    FYI: there's another utility called itunnel_mux.exe (http://iphonetunnel-usbmuxconnectbyp..._mux_rev71.zip) that may do the same thing w/o using i-FunBox.

Verified: itunnel_mux.exe works Fast SSH/VNC using USB and itunnel-mux
    Last edited by Mes; 08-14-2011 at 01:13 AM.

Awesome. It only blooming works...
    I had to use some initiative to get it going though, as I'm not a fully qualified geek as yet (but I'm getting there)

Here's the step by step guide:

1. Download and install OpenSSH for Windows

2. Install Open SSH in your iDevice (through Cydia - Requires Jailbreaking)

3. Download and extract itunnel_mux_rev71.zip to c:\itunnel_mux

4. Open a CMD window and navigate to c:\itunnel_mux

5. Type itunnel_mux --lport 5900 --iport 5900 **Leave this windows open**

6. Open another CMD window and navigate to
    "C:\Program Files\OpenSSH\bin" (32bit versions of windows)
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenSSH\bin" (64bit versions of windows)

7. Now type ssh root@localhost -p 5900
    (You may need to enter the password: alpine)

8. Open VNC Viewer and type in 127.0.0.1

9. Accept the connection on your iDevice and jobs a good un!!!
    Last edited by infusion2k7; 08-17-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Default This works perfect!
    Thank you so much! I needed to do a demo showing an app running without wifi, but on 3G and intermittently go in and out of service on the 3G. Can't thank you enough!

Quote Originally Posted by infusion2k7 View Post
    Awesome. It only blooming works...
    I had to use some initiative to get it going though, as I'm not a fully qualified geek as yet (but I'm getting there)

Here's the step by step guide:

1. Download and install OpenSSH for Windows

2. Install Open SSH in your iDevice (through Cydia - Requires Jailbreaking)

3. Download and extract itunnel_mux_rev71.zip to citunnel_mux

4. Open a CMD window and navigate to citunnel_mux

5. Type itunnel_mux --lport 5900 --iport 5900 **Leave this windows open**

6. Open another CMD window and navigate to
    "CProgram Files\OpenSSH\bin" (32bit versions of windows)
    "CProgram Files (x86)\OpenSSH\bin" (64bit versions of windows)

7. Now type ssh root@localhost -p 5900
    (You may need to enter the password: alpine)

8. Open VNC Viewer and type in 127.0.0.1

9. Accept the connection on your iDevice and jobs a good un!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bencjedi View Post
    Thank you so much! I needed to do a demo showing an app running without wifi, but on 3G and intermittently go in and out of service on the 3G. Can't thank you enough!
    im trying this and everything works up to the point of opening VNC
    nothing happens!!!!

here is the first DOS window

D>itunnel_mux --lport 5900 --iport 5900
    [INFO] Waiting for new TCP connection on port 5900
    [INFO] Waiting for device...
    [INFO] Device connected: 7d5d75971a9ff1fab452add16a6fe7cfbce3e6b4
    [INFO] Info: New connection...
    [INFO] Device connected
    [INFO] USBMuxConnectByPort OK
    [INFO] Info: New connection...
    [INFO] Device connected
    [INFO] USBMuxConnectByPort OK

here is the second window

C>cd "Program Files"

CProgram Files>cd OpenSSH

CProgram Files\OpenSSH>cd bin

CProgram Files\OpenSSH\bin>ssh root@localhost -p 5900

I've been trying to get this to work for the past couple of hours and I'm about to throw this iPod out the window. I have VNC working over Wi-Fi, but it's slow as hell even with 8-bit color. The itunnel part where you type itunnel_mux --lport 5900 --iport 5900 works fine. SSH into the iPod works fine too. I've tried Cygwin, WinSCP, PuTTY, and OpenSSH while trying to get this working. When I get to the part where I need to start VNC, it refuses to connect. I've tried TightVNC, which isn't compatible with SSH, and RealVNC, and UltraVNC. The last two will do SSH. Real says "RFB protocol error: reading version failed: not an RFB server?" Ultra tells me "invalid protocol" and possible causes "viewer and server are not compatible (they use different RFB protocols". I have no idea what these messages mean. I've tried different settings and can't get anywhere. Extremely frustrated with this. I can't find anything with Google that I can make sense of. The few walkthroughs for setting this up don't seem to go into detail about setting up the SSH tunneling at all. I don't know if I need to set that up in Cygwin and PuTTY or not. Maybe that's just for use when you are connecting over the Internet, I don't know. If anyone happens to see this, I open to suggestions. Maybe if I stand on one leg or hold my tongue a different way while I attempt it. TIA