Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unusual Jailbreak Mishap...

Default Unusual Jailbreak Mishap...
    Hopefully someone can help me. I can't say I've heard this problem before...

I was trying to upgrade my wife's iPad 2 3G to 4.3.3 and then I was going to Jailbreak it. However, iTunes wouldn't let me use the 4.3.3 ispw file and kept trying to download and install 4.3.4. So after some fighting with it, I finally chose "Download only", let it download 4.3.4, deleted the 4.3.4 ispw and replaced it with 4.3.3 ispw renamed to the 4.3.4 filename. Unfortunately, renaming it ****** me because now the device thinks it's running 4.3.4 (in iTunes, it's identified as 4.3.4 and in Settings on the iPad it shows 4.3.4).

There has to be some way of fixing this. If 4.3.4 changes the baseband and is what makes jailbreaking currently impossible then the fact that the iPad is still running 4.3.3 under the 4.3.4 name has to amount to something.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryusui View Post
    Hopefully someone can help me. I can't say I've heard this problem before...

I was trying to upgrade my wife's iPad 2 3G to 4.3.3 and then I was going to Jailbreak it. However, iTunes wouldn't let me use the 4.3.3 ispw file and kept trying to download and install 4.3.4. So after some fighting with it, I finally chose "Download only", let it download 4.3.4, deleted the 4.3.4 ispw and replaced it with 4.3.3 ispw renamed to the 4.3.4 filename. Unfortunately, renaming it ****** me because now the device thinks it's running 4.3.4 (in iTunes, it's identified as 4.3.4 and in Settings on the iPad it shows 4.3.4).

There has to be some way of fixing this. If 4.3.4 changes the baseband and is what makes jailbreaking currently impossible then the fact that the iPad is still running 4.3.3 under the 4.3.4 name has to amount to something.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    if Settings on the iPad shows 4.3.4,
    then your iPad is running iOS 4.3.4.

Even though you thought you fooled iTunes by pushing the filenames around, it looks like iTunes managed to find the correct 4.3.4 ipsw, and install that. Since Apple isn't signing 4.3.3 anymore, you couldn't install 4.3.3 anyway unless you were spoofing their signing service, AND had the SHSH blobs saved. The annoying baseband changes are somewhat older than 4.3.3/4.3.4 anyway, so you'd have to go to considerable lengths to sneak around them- which you didn't.

The iPad is most likely: not jailbroken, not jailbreakable, and probably not carrier unlockable for the forseeable future.

If you're real lucky, 6-12 months down the road there will be a jailbreak and an unlock under iOS 5 for your iPad. If less lucky, it could take longer (or maybe never).

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raduga For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (07-20-2011), Ryusui (07-20-2011)

So will iTunes look in folders other than the target download folder for the ipsw if it's not found there? Those damn tricky bastards...
    And if I'm understanding you correctly (sorry, I'm a jailbreak novice...or less possibly) you cannot upgrade a device which is on iOS x.x.x to y.y.y if z.z.z is currently available in iTunes, yes?
    Thanks for the response.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

So will iTunes look in folders other than the target download folder for the ipsw if it's not found there? Those damn tricky bastards...
    And if I'm understanding you correctly (sorry, I'm a jailbreak novice...or less possibly) you cannot upgrade a device which is on iOS x.x.x to y.y.y if z.z.z is currently available in iTunes, yes?
    Thanks for the response.
    No, iTunes cannot find the ipsw itself if it is not in the specified folder.
    If you have renamed 4.3.3 to 4.3.4 and be able to restore to it , then you have done some amazing stuff and you should be able to do the jailbreak.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Ryusui (07-21-2011)

Well crap. Now I'm not sure what to think.
    In trying to go to the jailbreakme.com site, it says her "Not supported on this device." And I don't know of any other methods to jailbreak the iPad 2 so I have nothing else to try.

Thanks

Then you are on official 4.3.4 firmware.

Well crap. Now I'm not sure what to think.
    In trying to go to the jailbreakme.com site, it says her "Not supported on this device." And I don't know of any other methods to jailbreak the iPad 2 so I have nothing else to try.
    There aren't any ways to jailbreak a 4.3.4 iPad 2 (currently).
    There probably won't be one, ever.

Best you can do is hope someone announces a JB for iPad 2 for some future firmware, using some future exploit that probably doesn't even exist yet. It could be 5.0, 5.2, maybe 6.0? It might be mid-2012 or 2013 or sometime after the iPad stops working or you've thrown it away because its obsolete.

Sorry, kid.
    You messed up.

Thanks

Good News :
    If you have 4.3.3 shsh blob , now you can restore to 4.3.3 Ipad 2 GSM / CDMA model.
    Download Tiny Umbrella 5.00.00.6, start Tss Server
    Run itunes : shift + restore to 4.3.3 ipsw .
    It will not error at 1013, try it now.
    Last edited by iYeow; 07-21-2011 at 02:40 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Ryusui (07-21-2011)

Well, I gave it a go with iYeow's great help. But unfortunately, no go. It said it could not locate the shsh. Oh well. Hopefully one of the talented people behind the scenes cracks 4.3.4 soon.

Thanks for your help, all.