Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help updating jailbroken ipad

Default Need help updating jailbroken ipad
    I have an iPad that is on version 3.2 and I jailbroke it with Spirit. I would like to update the firmware on it to one of the newer iOS4 versions.

My question is what are the steps to updating a jailbroken device without bricking it? Also, I would like to update and keep the crack'd apps that are on my device, how is this possible?

Can anyone direct me to the right place or reply and let me know the steps that I should take to do this and what version I should be updating to. Thanks!

you cant brick a jailbroken device by updating it, all that happens is your jailbreak goes away and you have a fresh install. i would highly recommend doing a fresh restore rather than hitting the update button just because your on such an old ios, sometimes just hitting update brings some garbage files with you that can cause problems later.

so just goto itunes and hit restore, it will download ios 4.3.3 which is what you want to be on and restore your ipad. i would also recommend installing as a new ipad instead of from backup, but that is up to you. once you finish restoring, download the latest version of redsn0w (windows version or mac version depending on what type of computer you use) and jailbreak it.

as for keeping your cracked apps, piracy is frowned upon on mmi so i will not help you with that

if you are worried about your cydia apps, its not worth backing them up anyway as most of them you are using are built for ios > 4, so they won't really work on ios 4.3.3 anyway, just do what i do when i restore. write down everything you have in packages and reinstall them after the restore and jailbreak

good luck

also if you need further help with the jailbreak process, look at these guides here

iClarified - iPad - How to Jailbreak Your iPad 1 Using RedSn0w (Mac) [4.3.3]

iClarified - iPad - How to Jailbreak Your iPad 1 Using RedSn0w (Windows) [4.3.3]