+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will shift+restore delete everything?

is a discussion within the

iPad Jailbreaking

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
I'm trying to upgrade and jailbreak my iPad on the newest 4.3.2 firmware. I downloaded the 4.3.2 firmware, and the jailbreak guide asks me to SHIFT+RESTORE in iTunes and select
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Will shift+restore delete everything?
    I'm trying to upgrade and jailbreak my iPad on the newest 4.3.2 firmware. I downloaded the 4.3.2 firmware, and the jailbreak guide asks me to SHIFT+RESTORE in iTunes and select the 4.3.2 firmware. Will this erase everything on my iPad? I have a backup that's made today! I do NOT wish to lose everything on my iPad, so how does this exactly work? The backup was obviously made on my old firmware (3.2), so it will erase everything from my iPad, upgrade to 4.3.2, then dump all my apps and stuff from the 3.2 backup? Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

Restoring will always erase the phone data and basically set it to factory settings. If you save a backup in iTunes you can choose to restore from the backup and get your stuff back. But not for jailbreak stuff. That's when you use pkgbackup or aptbackup to back Cydia items up then redownload either one to restore your stuff. Just a warning, sometimes those backup apps don't always work so you use it at your own risk.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Celestica (04-29-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Restoring will always erase the phone data and basically set it to factory settings. If you save a backup in iTunes you can choose to restore from the backup and get your stuff back. But not for jailbreak stuff. That's when you use pkgbackup or aptbackup to back Cydia items up then redownload either one to restore your stuff. Just a warning, sometimes those backup apps don't always work so you use it at your own risk.
    So if I shift+restore and select a 4.3.2 firmware, then I'll still get all my stuff back right even if the backup was made on 4.0?
    I don't really mind losing all Cydia stuff, I can simply redownload them, I didn't hack my iPad that much, basically just SBsettings, iFiles, some language inputs and stuff.
    One more question, should I use redsn0w rc13 or sn0wbreeze 2.6 to jailbreak iPad? These seem to be the two most popular methods, but I'm not sure what differences there are.
    Thanks again.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^Yes. it is supposed to restore and does 99% of the time. If your data is critical critical critical ... look into additional backup methods. SSH is your friend