+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to enable 3G with SIM from laptop connect card

is a discussion within the

iPad Jailbreaking

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
I have had a 16 GB WiFi only iPad for about a year and I just picked up a used 64 GB 3G model cheap on Craigslist. I jailbroke it
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default How to enable 3G with SIM from laptop connect card
    I have had a 16 GB WiFi only iPad for about a year and I just picked up a used 64 GB 3G model cheap on Craigslist.

I jailbroke it with Sn0wbreese 2.5.1 and I have an untethered JB. I was hoping to be able to use the SIM out of the USB laptop connect card that my work pays for. It's an AT&T USB device with an AT&T 3G SIM with the $59.99 laptop connect unlimited data plan.

I carved up the SIM and got it to fit into the MicroSIM slot. The iPad recognizes the SIM and shows full signal bars on the AT&T network. When I try to connect to a web site it says I don't have a data plan and asks me if I want to sign up.

Is there a way to get a jailbroken iPad 3G to use an AT&T SIM with a different (non-Apple) data plan?

I don't need a carrier unlock since it's actually an AT&T SIM and I don't believe the iPads are carrier locked to begin with.

The iPad is running iOS 4.3.1 with firmware 7.11.01.

EDIT:

After a bunch of searching with Google I found many references to needing to edit the APN settings. For some reason my iPad doesn't have the option to edit the APN under Settings/Celluar Data.

I found a reference to unlockit.co.nz. I went there and created a custom APN with these settings.

APN: wap.cingular
    Username: [email protected]
    Password: CINGULAR1
    Carrier US - AT&T

I had it email it to myself and install it. It worked! I can use the data only SIM from my USB laptop connect card for 3G data.

If anyone knows how to enable APN editing on an iPad 3G with iOS 4.3.1, let me know. There is probably a plist file to change someplace.

Now I have to make a MicroSIM to SIM adapter so that I can put the SIM back in my data card if I need to. I destroyed the outer parts of the SIM when I cut the original SIM down to size. I've seen that you can make an adapter out of an old credit card or other piece of plastic.
    Last edited by EmailGuy; 04-08-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Devices: iPhone 3GS iOS 5.0.1 (old boot ROM), iPad 2 64GB/3G/4.10.01 iOS 4.3.3, Android and WM phones as well

Thanks

Just did a bit of research, and it's super easy to do. To enable APN editing, first get iFile from Cydia (just makes things easier.) Now, go to /var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundle.bundle/ and open up carrier.plist in the plist editor. Now simply change AllowEDGEEditing to true (or ON), save, and that's it. Now open up Settings.app, and under Cellular Data there will be a new entry for APN. Super easy, and cool, especially if you ever travel abroad and want to use a prepaid data SIM.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Thanks

To get apn editing on iPhone 4 you need to rename carrier.plist and copy the carrier.plist from Unknown.bundle into the att.bundle. This is on 4.2.1 don't know if it works for later firmwares or not. No editing the plist needed.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I enabled AllowEDGEEditing in the plist file with iFile and I now have the option to edit the APN from Settings. That is a little easier than using unlockit.co.nz.
    Devices: iPhone 3GS iOS 5.0.1 (old boot ROM), iPad 2 64GB/3G/4.10.01 iOS 4.3.3, Android and WM phones as well

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default More info
    I have been getting an error when I sync with iTunes that it is not able to update my carrier settings. I figured that was because I was using a custom profile from unlockit.

To try and get rid of the error, I decided to remove the profile and edit the APN settings.

It appears that editing carrier.plist to enable APN editing is not a good fix. Carrier.plist is protected by iOS 4 and is reset every time you reboot. The next time I rebooted I no longer had the option to edit my APN settings.

I also cannot find carrier.plist under /var/mobile/library anymore. Since I removed the custom profile from unlockit, the carrier files are no longer in that folder.

It looks like I'll have to go back to using a custom profile from unlockit. Unfortunatly, their web site has been down for several hours. I can live with the iTunes sync error message as long as everything else works.

I was able to get APN editing back without unlockit.co.nz.

I found the CommCenter Patch for 4.3.1. That patch allows you to use modified carrier bundles. Once I applied that patch and rebooted I see the carrier bundles in iFile. I also discovered that /var/mobile/library/Carrier Bundles is a link to /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPad/ATT_US.bundle. From there I can edit carrier.plist to set AllowEDGEEditing to be turned ON.
    Last edited by EmailGuy; 04-13-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost