+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: $150 BOUNTY: An iPad virtual keyboard with arrows, backspace and page up/down keys

is a discussion within the

iPad Jailbreaking

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Love my iPad. But after fumbling with the virtual keyboard for almost a year now, I'm unsatisfied. It is worth it to (partially) fund a hack at this point. Requirements:
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Lightbulb $150 BOUNTY: An iPad virtual keyboard with arrows, backspace and page up/down keys
    Love my iPad. But after fumbling with the virtual keyboard for almost a year now, I'm unsatisfied. It is worth it to (partially) fund a hack at this point.

Requirements:

SHOULD be a simply activated/deactivated replacement for the stock iPad virtual keyboard. (This is negotiable. But at minimum there should be a way to roll back the hack without restoring if the hack becomes unstable for some reason.)

Must have all 4 arrow keys, a backspace button, a page up, page down, home and end key. Any extras you can think of are welcome, as long as the other requirements are met.

Ideally it would closely mimic the layout of the MacBook keyboard, although a 5th row on top of the existing kb would be satisfactory.

The key size must be close to existing size.

Must be stable across all apps that currently enable the OSK, and use the same hooks. (ie., when I enter a text field in a browser, it should pop up)

Must be HD and work on iPad with iOS 4.2.1

Please respond to this thread if you will be making an attempt. First developer to complete a satisfactory solution wins. Once complete and I have installed, tested and signed off, the code is yours to sell on Cydia or any repository you like. Rest assured there is a demand for this hack. I'm not looking to commercialize it, I simply want to be able to use my iPad the way I need to.

Any others that would like to add to the bounty, feel free, but be serious and follow through if/when the solution arrives. Bounties are an important way to solve pain points across the community.

Thanks in advance, I'll be happy to answer any additional questions you may have.

Note to the flamers: if you think the lack of these keys are unnoticeable, you must not post much on forums. Trying to scroll down this edit window without scrollbars when quoting is a nightmare. Think of the benefits of a simple end key.

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swishbuckler View Post
    Note to the flamers: if you think the lack of these keys are unnoticeable, you must not post much on forums. Trying to scroll down this edit window without scrollbars when quoting is a nightmare. Think of the benefits of a simple end key.
    I completely support your bounty, I just wanted to point out that for the problem you mention, a two-finger vertical swipe in the edit box will scroll the text within the box to rapidly move around.

And yes, I actually dragged the cursor (with the little magnifying bubble) at the top or bottom of the box to scroll the text ever-so-painfully-slow for a good two years before randomly stumbling upon that one day recently. Was way worse on the phone.

Arrow keys would still be nice for cursor placement. On the bar with the prev/next/autofill buttons but on the right side would be great for me.
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. -- M.C. Escher
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. -- D.J. Boorstin

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

A tab key would be nice. I am loving the one on the Xoom

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs up Awesome tip!
    Quote Originally Posted by krosis View Post
    I completely support your bounty, I just wanted to point out that for the problem you mention, a two-finger vertical swipe in the edit box will scroll the text within the box to rapidly move around.

And yes, I actually dragged the cursor (with the little magnifying bubble) at the top or bottom of the box to scroll the text ever-so-painfully-slow for a good two years before randomly stumbling upon that one day recently. Was way worse on the phone.

Arrow keys would still be nice for cursor placement. On the bar with the prev/next/autofill buttons but on the right side would be great for me.
    Awesome tip! I use Atomic Browser, and the two finger swipe up & down were set to some other multitouch action, had to go disable them. Thanks!!

Thanks

Can I have the bounty and the $150? I'm out of paper towel... Kthxbai
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

My iPhone is a Part of Me thecrunked's Avatar
    Thanks

good idea, but heres a better one

2 buttons on the keyboard that work like toggles, they get placed next to the next, previous, and auto-fill buttons. one is for auto-correct on/off and the other is for auto-caps on/off

please add that to your bounty, i hope somebody actually creates this

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I just stumble upon "truekeyboard" in the app store, and it looks like it would fill most of your needs. The only problem is the keyboard (as of now) is only available for use withing the confines of the truekeyboards note taking app. If a savvy codemonkey got their hands on the guts of that app it looks like it could be used as a great foundation for a universal tweak. Anyone else know anything about this?

I use the term "codemonkeys" with complete respect to smarter people than me that know how to code and whatnot. Just to clarify

I'll add a $5 to this cause if the tweak is stable and works in all ways the default keyboard does.
    -other options could be available for the user to tweak via settings like the ability to turn off or customize autocorrection.
    Last edited by Jivin_hipcat; 03-12-2011 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

I need the tab key when I remote into my PC and use an older AS400 program. It would be great to see someone way smarter than I figure this out so you could install it as an additional keyboard or replacement!

Thanks

Lol, I'm so surprised that no Dev took you up on this "bounty". I'm in for $0.75 though, and I'll throw in my $2.62 eBay bucks. ;-) just messin :-P
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix