+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad Update/Jailbreak

is a discussion within the

iPad Jailbreaking

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Can I go ahead and update the jailbroken device without a problem or not? Or do I have to restore it to factory first? 99.9% of you on modmyi probably
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default iPad Update/Jailbreak
    Can I go ahead and update the jailbroken device without a problem or not? Or do I have to restore it to factory first? 99.9% of you on modmyi probably know this answer. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

A few quick questions pertaining to updating my already jailbroken iPad from 3.2 to 4.2.1.

1. Is there something special that I need to do before updating the firmware to 4.2.1 in iTunes. I know that with the older iPhones (Original, 3G) updating the firmware on a jailbroken device would cause it to "brick". I obviously do not want this to happen but I'm hearing that you can just go ahead and update now with no problems. I would just feel more comfortable with a clear answer on this.

2. After updating with iTunes all of my current apps/music/photos/ect. will be restored back on the device, correct? BUT of course not Cydia and anything downloaded or installed using Cydia?

3. Once the update to 4.2.1 is complete I can just run greenpois0n for 4.2.1 to re-jailbreak?

4. Lastly, Is it worth it at this point to update to 4.2.1 from 3.2. At this point I am not having any problems with apps that may require 4.2 software and my iPad is working fine. Although, Multitasking and the Folders features looks useful, but AirPlay and AirPrint don't really apply to me. What are your personal thoughts on this?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by highcroft; 02-22-2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. The Following User Says Thank You to highcroft For This Useful Post:

michaeldl1961 (02-25-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm interested in this as well.

Last weekend i tried to update firmware from my jailbroken 3.2 to 4.2.1; unfortunately I didn't read anything about the risks of upgrading from the currant situation directly to a custom firmware created via sn0wbreeze.

I've been backing up all my gamesaves using Appbackup (a very useful app downloaded from Cydia that is very useful to align savings with the iPhone as well) and I was ready for this big step (not that I really needed it but I want Multitasking to listen to Tunein radio whilst surfing the web... and more and more games are becoming incompatible with 3.2).

It all seemed to go well (DFU, custom FW, etc. ), iTunes looked ok and then suddenly "Error 21" appeared, the process stopped and I got stucked with a iPad in restore mode... Tried few times and no further luck; I was very grateful when, trying to reinstall 3.2, the pad finally woke up and (without installing anything) simply went back to the pre-process situation (with all apps installed).

I'd like to try it again but I'm too scared to get stuck again and not being able to re-animate it anymore so any help in how streamlining the process would be much appreciated. As suggested above, do I just need to do in two steps going trough a standard upgrade to 4.2.1 and only then restoring to the custom firmware?

Thanks a lot,
    B

4. The Following User Says Thank You to birovr For This Useful Post:

Tucket215 (02-24-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    What I'm still hearing is that you can just update in iTunes and make sure that there's a jailbreak for the version that you are updating to, which I think is currently 4.2.1 so it's fine. Once the update is complete it will obviously remove Cydia and anything related to Cydia but I'm uncertain as to what will happen to some apps. After the update just re-jailbreak with greenpois0n and done. AND of course always backup first before doing anything.

I'm still a little skeptical about this though and don't want to miss anything important. If anyone has any personal experience with this please share.
    Last edited by highcroft; 02-22-2011 at 06:33 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How do you jail break an iPad ?