Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: necessity to install open ssh on ipad?

Default necessity to install open ssh on ipad?
    is it a necessity to install open ssh on ipad. if i dont what are the consequences. Thanks

It is not necessary to install SSH on the iPad. When installing applications through Cydia, you should see a list of pre-requisite apps that will also be installed. I can't think of any off the top of my head that require SSH.

However, SSH is a good utility to have on your iOS devices. It gives you quick access to the system to perform some tasks. Just remember to change your passwords after SSHing in for the first time for root and mobile (default is 'alpine')

OpenSSH is a must for your system. Why? If your iPad will no longer boot (for whatever reason), in most cases you would be able to SSH in to your system to run apt-get (Cydia on the command line), or fix whatever mod that you did to let it boot again. This is great if you have not backed up your device in a long time and want to avoid restoring. I must say, SSH has saved me several times in the past. It should be installed when Cydia opens for the first time..
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Afc2 does the same thing with iFunbox...

I don't see the point to ssh, it's slower than connecting with tools like ifunbox.

I like it because it's wireless and I can ssh on device with a vnc console and WOL and http tunneling stuff. Other than that, I really don't care, afc2 or ssh