Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreaking iPad - Dangerous?

Default Jailbreaking iPad - Dangerous?
    I got an iPad a few days ago for my birthday and now i'm interested in jailbreaking it. What exactly are the dangers of this? Can it brick my iPad? Will it become completely unusable should this go wrong?

I'm also wondering if it's possible to do this untethered jailbreak on firmware 4.2.1? If so which jailbreak should I use? Eternally grateful for any answers. Thank you.

I believe the general consensus is its virtually impossible to brick it. You should also be able to restore back to factory via iTunes if you screw it up. I have jailbroken several iPhones, my iPad (the day I got it) and also AppleTV. While I have screwed things up on several occasions, I have never not been able to restore and start over.

Go to greenpois0n.com and download the version for your MAC or PC and let er rip!

1. back up via iTunes before you do anything
    2. run greenpois0n
    3. once jail broke run loader app on iPad to install Cydia
    4. open Cydia and set it up and let it do its upgrades
    5. restore from back up your ipad to add your normal apps back.
    6. load anything you might want from Cydia. SBS Settings and Infinidock are two of my must haves.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

How is your Bluetooth working?

I dont use my Bluetooth on the iPad so I cant confirm, but it appears to be fine.

I use the wireless Bluetooth keyboard with my iPad and haven't had any issues.

You should be fine. I have 2 ipads WIFI only/WIFI 3G and neither have had any issues. If you have the 3G version and need to keep the unlock -do a little research (unlock meaning you plan to use 3G service with someone other than AT&T). Otherwise go for it - and make sure you get Cydia and ********** installed.

Two questions. I have a jailbroken 4.1 iPad. Do I have to upgrade to the latest stock firmware (4.2.1?) first before using Greenpoison?

Is the loader app included with Greenpoison for Cydia, or where do I get that?

Quote Originally Posted by tuckers View Post
    Two questions. I have a jailbroken 4.1 iPad. Do I have to upgrade to the latest stock firmware (4.2.1?) first before using Greenpoison?

Is the loader app included with Greenpoison for Cydia, or where do I get that?
    The 4.1 firmware doesn't exist for iPad . You can use firmwares 3.2, 3.2.1, 3.2.2, 4.2.1 as far as I know. Loader is included as well. You will need WiFi or 3G internet connection on your iPad to download the shiny new Cydia to your freshly JB'ed iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by SMaldo View Post
    You should be fine. I have 2 ipads WIFI only/WIFI 3G and neither have had any issues. If you have the 3G version and need to keep the unlock.
    LMAO iPads don't need an unlock.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    How is your Bluetooth working?
    Fine.

Quote Originally Posted by konkydc View Post
    I got an iPad a few days ago for my birthday and now i'm interested in jailbreaking it. What exactly are the dangers of this? Can it brick my iPad? Will it become completely unusable should this go wrong?

I'm also wondering if it's possible to do this untethered jailbreak on firmware 4.2.1? If so which jailbreak should I use? Eternally grateful for any answers. Thank you.
    It's virtually impossible to do hardware damage to an iPhone/iPod/iPad via software. The worst cases are usually fixed with a restore to a stock firmware and then optionally rejailbreaking.
    Use greenpois0n, as stated in NOYB111's post.

Quote Originally Posted by SMaldo View Post
    You should be fine. I have 2 ipads WIFI only/WIFI 3G and neither have had any issues. If you have the 3G version and need to keep the unlock -do a little research (unlock meaning you plan to use 3G service with someone other than AT&T). Otherwise go for it - and make sure you get Cydia and ********** installed.
    +1 You realize that iPads are sold unlocked? Also, in case the asterisks didn't get the hint accross, we don't talk about warez here, (Read: The Rules ). Lol, love it...
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix