+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Sync after a complete restore] In-app configs back?

is a discussion within the

iPad Jailbreaking

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
I'm thinking about jailbreaking my iPad with the new greenpois0n. Yes, I know that it's better to restore the iPad's firmware. My only concern is about my current apps internal
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default [Sync after a complete restore] In-app configs back?
    I'm thinking about jailbreaking my iPad with the new greenpois0n.
    Yes, I know that it's better to restore the iPad's firmware.

My only concern is about my current apps internal configurations.
    I have a lot of apps, and many of them are configured to work the way I want.

iTunes re-syncs every app that was previously installed, but what about the configurations that I made to each of them?

In short, how does iTunes apps backup work? Does it backup the original .ipa (default configs) or the actual app (configs made by the user).

The only thing that keeps me from jailbreaking my iOS devices is that needing to restore firmware every fu***** new jailbreak.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 884 Posts

A restore from backup will put settings back. But setup as new and it will just put apps on and all settings and saves are wiped.

PKGbackup can do a backup of that info but some say it does not work for 4.2.1 but some have got it working.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does this "restore from backup" restore every app setting?

Let me say that I would jailbreak my iPad right now.
    So firstly I sync it with iTunes, then I restore it with 4.2.1 original firmware.
    After jailbreaking, what should I do to re-sync the apps and their custom settings made by me?

Thanks

The restore from backup makes it exactly like it was before.

(Not recommended) But you would restore from backup after you do clean install then jailbreak.

I say not recommended because it is always recommended to setup as new and not to mix jailbreaks with backups.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I understand.
    Ok. I think it's better to start a new installation and forget this restore from backup at the moment.

I just feel that it's so annoying to keep restoring, syncing apps and then going through the painful process of reconfiguring each one of those apps every time a new jailbreak is released to a new firmware...

Well, that seems to be the price we pay to be free from the ****** control of Apple.

Thanks

Well there is pkgbackup like I mentioned but some don't have success with it. There is a member here that has been working on an app just like it but current version is still in beta/alpha testing though.

And I hate it also. I hate losing my game saves every restore. The configuring I don't mind so much.
    Last edited by Cer0; 02-04-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah that's the reason that made me decide to keep my iPad "jailed".

I know there are a lot of good apps in Cydia (like multifl0w, which I'd love if Apple accepted it in App Store, but that's impossible), but at the moment I'll stay with App Store apps, since they serve me well.

It's just very confortable to upgrade your iOS device with the new iOS version and be sure that all apps and their configurations/datas are gonna keep intact.

Thanks

If your ipad's backup is not jailbroken then you can restore from backup. Like if your ipad was not jailbroken then you should have no problems restoring from backup. That suggestion just goes mainly to the devices that are on say redsn0w jailbreak then restore from backup to jailbreak with greenpoison.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quick question: how does this "restore from backup" work?
    Does it restore the entire firmware (with an "image" made from my backup) or only reconfigs/reinstalls apps?

Thanks

I think it restores the mainly the mobile users stuff. It does settings, alarms, saves, mail configs, etc.

You have to restore firmware first then it will ask to restore from backup, meaning take all your information you had before and put it on this new firmware.
    Last edited by Cer0; 02-04-2011 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Got it. Seems interesting.
    I'll try it and tell you later if it works after greenpois0n jailbreak.

Thank you very much for the help.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    The restore from backup makes it exactly like it was before.

(Not recommended) But you would restore from backup after you do clean install then jailbreak.

I say not recommended because it is always recommended to setup as new and not to mix jailbreaks with backups.
    How about restoring from backup after the jailbreak? Would that restore all my settings (SMS, emails, photos, etc) without removing the jailbreak? Thanks.