+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Quick 4.2.1 jailbreak question

is a discussion within the

iPad Jailbreaking

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Hi all, Just a quick question that I can't seem to find the answer to. If I jb my ipad, I know I need redsn0w to boot my tethered jailbreak,
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Quick 4.2.1 jailbreak question
    Hi all,

Just a quick question that I can't seem to find the answer to. If I jb my ipad, I know I need redsn0w to boot my tethered jailbreak, can I reboot my ipad non-jailbroken without being tethered, or must I then use redsn0w for any rebooting, tethered jailbreak or not?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Not sure what you mean. I think i get it though...

If your iPad is not jailbroken it wont be tethered. It's the jailbreak that makes it tethered.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Jailbreak 4.2.1
    Thanks for the reply.I guess what i'm asking is, once i use redsnow, what happens if i reboot without it? Does my ipad just boot normally and unjailbroken or will it be frozen, needing to be connected to redsnow? Also, are there any functional issues once jailbroken? I'm on 3g and use Gps and bluetooth alot.

Thanks.

Thanks

Oh. It gets stuck at the apple logo.

And no jb doesn't kill/hurt any normal functions.

Edit: when I say it gets stuck at the apple logo I mean you can't go further until you run redsn0w boot tethered on it again.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 01-28-2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Unless something has changed since the last time I ran my iPad tethered, this is incorrect.

The iPad boots just fine on its own, however, Cydia and any installed Cydia hacks won't work until you reboot tethered. With some other tethered jailbreaks (like the AppleTV 2), you do get stuck at the Apple Logo and can't use the device at all until you reboot tethered.

This is a very confusing point with the tethered jailbreaks, since they don't all behave exactly the same way.

Currently I'm running the untethered 4.2.1 beta jailbreak on my iPad 3G and iPhone 4, and they both work perfectly except for the iBooks protected book issue. Hopefully this will be released to the public soon with a more user friendly interface.

Thanks

Because it's beta. If it's 4.2.1 it's tethered.

iPhone? More like MyPhone moe_12345's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveiPhone View Post
    Unless something has changed since the last time I ran my iPad tethered, this is incorrect.

The iPad boots just fine on its own, however, Cydia and any installed Cydia hacks won't work until you reboot tethered. With some other tethered jailbreaks (like the AppleTV 2), you do get stuck at the Apple Logo and can't use the device at all until you reboot tethered....
    Correct - this is how am running my iPad on 4.2.1 currently. If you run an update in Cydia that requires a reboot, as an example, then you have to re-run redSn0w again with "Boot untethered only" option ticked...

Thanks

Right...hence the tethered part which is just that. Boot tethered anytime the device shuts off or reboots.

Thanks

The distinction I was making is that even if you run a non-beta tethered jailbreak to 4.2.1 on the iPad, it's useable even if you have to reboot while you're not near a computer. You simply won't have access to Cydia or anything installed by Cydia. You DON'T get stuck at the Apple logo, as you do with some devices and tethered jailbreaks (like the ATV2, for example, which is unusable until you can reboot tethered.)

Thanks

Then you should be specifying semi-tethered vs standard tethered.

Thanks

I didn't invent these terms, but I agree, as I stated earlier, that the current descriptions are very confusing. I don't think anyone expected we'd be stuck in tether limbo for so long.