Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iBooks not working after Jailbreak

I have the 4th gen iPod touch 32 gb. I jailbroke with redsnow rc8, and then overwrite it with Greenpois0n when the untethered version came out. For me, all books actually purchased give me the message "There is a problem with the configuration of your iPod touch. Please restore with iTunes and reinstall iBooks". All free books and PDFs are fine

That's exactly the symptom with all the current jailbreak variations on new devices.

Finally fixed!

From iClarified today:
    PwnageTool also includes two very recent improvements to the 4.2.1 JB: iBooks was just fixed by @comex and @pushfix last night so that it works as intended on DRMed books, and the wifi problem on AppleTV 2G was fixed by @nitotv, @DHowett, and @saurik. Both of these fixes will also be available in upcoming Cydia package updates, so if you're already jailbroken you can wait for those updates rather than restore and jailbreak again.

The various components to the 4.2.1 untether (including a second exploit involving Mach-o headers) were worked out by 0naj, posixninja, and pod2g, and a nice writeup by 0naj is available on the wiki. The actual injection method uses geohot's limerain exploit for most devices. And even though 4.3 is just around the corner, the exploit used has already been closed in the latest 4.3 betas, so it made sense for the 4.2.1 untether to be released when it was. It also appears that a security researcher named @i0n1c has a 4.3 untether ready for when Apple releases the final 4.3 FW, so it may not be a long wait at all with 4.3!
    -

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveiPhone For This Useful Post:

tsatryan (02-15-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,486 Times in 7,088 Posts

Yup, new pwnage tool and snowbreeze have the fix in it.

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Yup, new pwnage tool and snowbreeze have the fix in it.
    An IPSW created with sn0wbreeze 2.2-final still threw up the error when trying to view Winnie the Pooh on my iP4.

Yeah, confirmed working on PwnageTool (I got access to a mac after sn0wbreeze).

It's fixed. Restore to a custom PwnageTool 4.2 firmware or use a deb (hunnypot.deb) by comex: http://a.qoid.us/hunnypot.deb

Here's a more detailed how-to on the hotfix:

Fix iBooks issue in iOS 4.2.1 after Jailbreak with Greenpois0n

Quote Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
    Here's a more detailed how-to on the hotfix:

Fix iBooks issue in iOS 4.2.1 after Jailbreak with Greenpois0n
    Having just applied this "hunnypot" hotfix -- I can confirm that protected content now opens fine in iBooks on my iPad running 4.2.1, jailbroken via greenp0ison.

----

Just keep in mind that iBooks updates via the App Store, and not via the normal iOS updates. That means Apple can change the jailbreak protection at any time via an app update, and there are a multitude of ways of detecting a jailbreak.

As a result of this (as well as Apple's crazy shenanigans, forcing content providers to offer In-App options and hand over 30%) I have decided I will NOT be purchasing any iBooks content.
    Last edited by Fofer; 02-16-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fofer For This Useful Post:

Jivin_hipcat (02-16-2011)

Thanks a lot. The http://a.qoid.us/hunnypot.deb fix works quickly, easily, and perfectly.

iBooks fix now available for easier Cydia install, by way of adding a repository... google for more info
    Last edited by Fofer; 02-17-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,486 Times in 7,088 Posts

I know you are just trying to help people but that is a known warez repo so we cannot post it here.

Sorry about that, had no idea, was just copy-pasting the link from elsewhere...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12