+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: My brand new Ipad came with the 4.2 GM firmware

is a discussion within the

iPad Jailbreaking

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
I just got my new Ipad from an authorized reseller, in a sealed box and still not activated.I was going for the jailbreak with redsnow and I noticed that the
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default My brand new Ipad came with the 4.2 GM firmware
    I just got my new Ipad from an authorized reseller, in a sealed box and still not activated.I was going for the jailbreak with redsnow and I noticed that the firmware installed is 4.2 (8c134b) indeed itunes is asking for an update to 4.2.1

I gooogled around and looks like my current firmware is a beta or a GM. Sounds very weird that they could sell a device with a beta firmware installed in an authorized shop. The demo devices there were all running the 4.2.1
    I thought that, in order to run a beta or a GM, your device had to be listed in a developer program account but obviously that's not true.

Should I update to 4.2.1 in order to jaibreak?

Thanks

Yes update, you don't want to run Beta firmware. There will be bugs and such that will get annoying. Updating won't be so bad. That is very odd that a reseller had a beta firmware on it. Perhaps someone returned the ipad to an Apple Store, and they didn't actually restore it, but just reset all settings and content. One slipped through the cracks eh? Did you get it at a discount? Just wondering. Cheers!
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

If you didn't get a discount I would go back and ask for one since it was opened before since it is running a non-general public release firmware.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    If you didn't get a discount I would go back and ask for one since it was opened before since it is running a non-general public release firmware.
    Please read again my original post

just got my new Ipad from an authorized reseller, in a sealed box and still not activated.

Thanks

iPads don't need 'activating' so to speak but it is odd that a beta FW fell through the cracks,,,, updating won't be an issue
    If I've helped you remember to say

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I upgraded and jailbroken tethered. Activation is probably not the right term but once unsealed and switched on the device was showing the picture with the USB cable, the seller then used his own SIM card and connected to Itunes in order to get the device fully functional.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well my friend, it looks like someone bought the iPad, played with it (installed beta firmware) then shrink wrapped it and returned it. Or the reseller re-shrunk it and sold a returned item as new (happens more than you think)

Really not hard to do.

Green Apple
    Thanks

One upside of that is you get betas for free.

Even if it's a brand new item sent back, they re-seal and resell if in excellent condition

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Bought mine with 4.2 at christmas... I just think that 4.2 is "the" pre-installed firmware right now (: you should definitely update though.. Newer updates=often better