Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad n00b with quick jailbreak question

Default iPad n00b with quick jailbreak question
    Hey all, been searching but not found a clear answer to this.

I am familiar with the iphone jailbreak scene since the first iphone to the iphone 4, but I have just got an iPad with 3.2.2 firmware on it.

So that I have the right SHSH blobs for it do I need to make sure these are backed up before I proceed to upgrade to jailbroken 4.2.1? I know I can jailbreak tethered to 4.2.1 without them but I believe I will need the 4.2b3 SHSH blobs storing for future untethered jailbreaks on 4.2.1 or beyond (at least according to teh dev teams blog). Can the 4.2b3 Blobs be created from 4.2.1. or does it have to be 3.2.2?

When christmas comes and I open my ipad I dont want to rush to update to jailbroken 4.2.1 and miss something I needed to have done, so any advice on what I need to do to maintain the abilty to jailbreak would be really helpful.

EDIT - 24 views but no one able to help!
    Last edited by davidmaiden18183; 12-13-2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 15,499 Times in 7,089 Posts

There are 2 methods in the works for untethering the new devices on 4.2.1. One will require you to have those 4.2.1b3 SHSH. The other will not.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

davidmaiden18183 (12-13-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    There are 2 methods in the works for untethering the new devices on 4.2.1. One will require you to have those 4.2.1b3 SHSH. The other will not.
    Thanks,

Yes I understand this and I am aware of the two methods being worked on (I follow comex etc on twitter), what I am not clear on is how do I get my 4.2.1b3 SHSH saved? I.e. do I need to be on firmware 3.2.2. for cydia to generate them, or do I need to be on 4.2.1 ....I know its not 4.2.1b3 itself.

Thanks

You would just download tiny umbrella and press save SHSH. I think it may be too late now though. I don't think apple is signing that firmware anymore.

Thanks x98car.

What I dont get is if I go from 3.2.2 to the latest firmware 4.2.1 is it at this point that 4.2.1b3 SHSH's can be saved/will be automatically by cydia.

or have I missed the windows to store 4.2.1b3 SHSH as these were generated from the 3.2.2 firmware?

So am i right in saying If I should I need an untethered jailbreak for 4.2.1 or a future jailbreak I would hopefully be covered by having these stored. That is, if comex etc doesnt release a untethered jailbreak.

Thanks

I think you may have missed the window for saving them. Saving SHSH doesnt have anything to do with what firmware you are on or how you update. It only matters as to what firmware Apple is still signing.

Ok, I think I get you.

So basically as my new iPad comes with 3.2.2 I can not get 4.2.1b3 shsh's saved now and thus I will be stuck with tethered jailbreak unless comes comes up with a way that doesn't require these to be saved?

Is that right?

Obviously I can save 4.2.1 SHSH's once I've upgraded, I thought the 4.2.1b3 shsh's were just a clone of those.

Thanks for your help, I have thanked you for it.

Thanks

You can save your 4.2.1 SHSH right now. You dont need to update first. Just download tiny umbrella, connect your device, and press save SHSH. It will save all available SHSH for you. 4.2.1b3 was the last beta that the previous untethered exploit worked on, thats why it was being saved.