Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can I update my firmware while it is jailbroken? I'm confused!

Default Can I update my firmware while it is jailbroken? I'm confused!
    I currently have a jailbroken ipad at version 3.2 and I want to update to 4.2

Can I go on iTunes and update my iPad right away? Or do I have to remove the jailbreak (restore?) and then install 4.2 and jailbreak it again?

Please help me out!

Well you can just go ahead and update.... But when you try jailbreaking it on 4.2.1 it will need to be "rejailbroken" every time it turns off.

So, nothing will happen when I update on iTunes? And why would I have to jailbreak it every time I turn off my ipad? I mean, I don't ever do that, but I'm just wondering.

Thats because right now that jailbreak is tethered. Meaning, if you power off, or battery dies, you will need to re-jailbreak to boot
    If you can i would just hold out and wait for the untethered
    Last edited by jasvncnt10; 12-13-2010 at 10:17 AM.

Alright, so I got some answers, but no one has answered the most important question...

If my iPad is already jailbroken and I want to update to 4.2, can I update through iTunes right now (will there be a problem?) OR do I have to remove the jailbreak AND THEN update through iTunes?

No go ahead and restore/update. That is actually how the jailbreak comes off. But if you are going to jailbreak again you will have to plug it back in every single time.