Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading jailbroken ipad

Question Upgrading jailbroken ipad
    Can someone provide a general guide on how to upgrade a jailbroken iPad?

I currently have iPad with 3.2.2, jailbroken with limerain, and my shsh blobs saved in Cydia. How do I upgrade to ios 4.2.1?

This is very confusing/frustrating because as I google for guides, I keep getting instructions on how to jailbreak, not how to successfully upgrade.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Jaimee

Thanks
    Thanked 15,534 Times in 7,104 Posts

Just press update in itunes. You will lose your jailbreak for the meantime until the jailbreaks get updated for 4.2.1 though. make sure you have your SHSH saved with tiny umbrella just in case you want to go back.

I thought limerain could already jailbreak any future ios upgrades (in the current hardware configurations). If I update to 4.2.1, won't limerain jailbreak it just as it did 3.2.2 or have I misunderstood something about limerain?

Thanks
    Thanked 15,534 Times in 7,104 Posts

No, the exploit that limera1n uses will be able to work on all devices for all updates. But after each update the jailbreaks will have to be updated to make them compatible.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Jaimee (11-24-2010)

Thank you, X98car. That cleared it up for me! I'll update today then because I don't have a lot of jailbreak utilities installed yet (simply because there aren't a huge amount out there in cydia land yet).

Thanks again!