Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How can I PREVENT a restore?

Default How can I PREVENT a restore?
    I know this sounds crazy... but I actaully want some authentication or prevention method to STOP a restore. Basically you can push out profiles, enterprise activation, password/pin enforcement, etc. but all of that is pointless if anyone can just plug it up and hit restore. Is there a way to prevent anyone from just restoring and wiping out all of your security policies? I really appreciate anyones time, help, and response to this matter. Thanks!

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Pfff not that i know of

Thanks

Besides what if your iPhone were to freeze so you reboot and when you do that it hits a continuous boot cycle where you have to restore or DFU restore?

Don't say this doesn't happen as it just did to me on a 3GS under warranty, it's good and working now but what if, if you got water damage on it and had to restart and the restore was disabled you wouldn't be able to fix it

In this idea this MOD will never arrive sry

Yeah, I don't see any way to make an iPad un-restorable, even by user preference.. The issue is that you are actually asking for the device to become bricked when it needs to be restored. I think you have it wrong. The point of all of these enterprise profiles, policies, pins, etc. is for prying eyes to be unable to access your data. These would prove successful if they have to restore to get the device to function, sans your data. Even if I get a 1G iPod Nano, and plug it into iTunes, the only information I would be able to really get is the name of the iPod, and possibly be able to view what music was on it- that's it. A restore deletes the sensitive data, especially when it is plugged into a computer that the device is not synced to. Of course, if someone really wanted in, there are several ways to get in. But if joe blow finds your iPad at starbucks, and it is locked, he will likely be unable to access any of your personal info...
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GermanBrot View Post
    I know this sounds crazy... but I actaully want some authentication or prevention method to STOP a restore. Basically you can push out profiles, enterprise activation, password/pin enforcement, etc. but all of that is pointless if anyone can just plug it up and hit restore. Is there a way to prevent anyone from just restoring and wiping out all of your security policies? I really appreciate anyones time, help, and response to this matter. Thanks!
    There was a way to prevent being prompted by iTunes to update -- it was on BigBoss site awhile ago.

The trick is a simple plist change on the phone to the 'current version'. iTunes and App Store are fooled. Not sure how well this works with the current version but it worked well in the 3.1.2/3.1.3 days
    Last edited by Mes; 11-23-2010 at 07:37 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    There was a way to prevent being prompted by iTunes to update -- it was on BigBoss site awhile ago.

The trick is a simple plist change on the phone to the 'current version'. iTunes and App Store are fooled. Not sure how well this works with the current version but it worked well in the 3.1.2/3.1.3 days
    Or you simply click "don't ask again" and click "cancel" works every time

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^True. The other method also allowed loading App Store apps with a higher minimum version requirement.