+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak drains more battery!

is a discussion within the

iPad Jailbreaking

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
I notice that when I jailbreak my Ipad it seems to drain more battery. I only have Sbsettings and maybe *****. Is there a way for me to remove un-necessary
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Jailbreak drains more battery!
    I notice that when I jailbreak my Ipad it seems to drain more battery.
    I only have Sbsettings and maybe *****.
    Is there a way for me to remove un-necessary services in my ipad?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Cer0; 10-15-2010 at 07:02 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5h4d0w's Avatar
    Thanks

Try calibrating the battery (charging it fully, rebooting and letting it die)

My iPod was draining quickly after the Limera1n JB too, until I calibrated it.

"Is there a way for me to remove un-necessary services in my ipad?"

You could delete some Launchdaemons (There's a list here if I remember correctly)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5h4d0w For This Useful Post:

10-2Graphics (10-29-2010)

Thanks

You could also, ya know, not steal apps ;-). Really though, what drains battery are daemons running in the background. Mobile Substrate, or MS, addons run in the background. Now, typically, battery life really isn't impacted as much as overall speed is. I've noticed too that people tend to think that battery life is somehow reduced by JBing. This simply is not true. What is most likely is that you are charging your ipad too frequently, when the battery level is at like 30 or 40%. What can occur is decreased overall battery life, if you do not let your ipad drain down to almost nothing at least once or twice a month. Seriously though, get rid of ******* and any other nefarious sources/apps. Pay for apps, nuff said.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Imahottguy For This Useful Post:

10-2Graphics (10-29-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    not steal apps ;-). Really though, what drains battery are daemons running in the background. Mobile Substrate, or MS, addons run in the background.Pay for apps, nuff said.
    I agree I wanna PAY for but I don't wanna spend on something that I might be disappointed in! I wanna try before I really buy!
    Anyways can anyone recommend a good pdf reader that doesn't drain alot of battery life?
    Currently on the latest Fw and I have chosen not to jb because of it. And I did notice that its alot better now in terms of battery life!
    Plus I am hesitant cause I am from another country and will be spending more because that's money down the drain you know lol.
    So recommendations would be really good!
    I tried ibooks its really good and codes are native so it doesn't drain that much. But I hate having to sync to itunes everytime I wanna upload a pdf!

Thanks

iFile (in Cydia) can read PDF's. Also, you can always email yourself PDF's, for reading, too. Most apps have lite versions, no? Quite a few people justify not paying by saying "I wanna try before I buy", but really? I think it's just an excuse that one would use to make themselves not feel bad about it... But, to each his own, I suppose.
    Last edited by Imahottguy; 10-15-2010 at 10:45 AM.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Imahottguy For This Useful Post:

Cer0 (10-15-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Not to mention if you're only "trying before buying" you wouldn't need ******* to sync them with iTunes.......just sayin'....
    Last edited by Cer0; 10-15-2010 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks

****** doesnt just allow you to sync with iTunes. But we aren't suppose to be discussing this
    Last edited by Cer0; 10-15-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Anyways I'm not Jailbroken so whether I like or not I'm going to buy an app!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Stop the talk about cracked apps/warez/piracy. The apps that allow them is not allowed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just did the jailbreak yesterday. Man did that battery go down fast! I attribute some of it to the fact it was on wifi looking for fixes to a couple issues with Backgrounder. I read somewhere that you have to respring and that does the trick. Well, I did that when my battery was down to about 20% and then I kept on it until it ran down to 4%. Then I plugged it in. We'll see how the battery life goes today.

Are there any paid apps which help manage battery power better? I'm actually an Android kind of guy and there is an app I have on my G2 called JuicePlotter and it helps manage the battery much better. I can be on my phone all day and night surfing the web with wifi and it doesn't die. Anything like that in the Market for Ipad? I've got Battery Doctor already, but it hasn't really done anything that I can tell over the past several weeks that I've had it.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

People have this notion that their battery drains faster after a jailbreak every time. The reason is b/c for the first several days or weeks after a jailbreak you're CONSTANTLY on your device downloading themes and apps and loading Cydia and looking for new and cool stuff... etc. This gives the illusion that the battery suck when in fact it's b/c you're using it a lot more in a short period of time. After it gets set up the way you want your usage goes back to normal and the battery life magically goes back to normal.

Then these same people will complain about their battery life sucking the second they upgrade and jailbreak the newest firmware for the exact same reason. I've witnessed this for over 2 years now... quite entertaining.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

bubba's 69 (11-03-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm not diluted enough to think that it doesn't have to do with the fact I was using the iPad and downloading things and using resources like crazy. I haven't ever gone on a downloading spree like this before, so obviously the battery would drop way fast. But when I wasn't connected to wifi and was just playing Angry Birds while my son was at his golf lesson, I noticed the battery drop nearly 7 percent. I watched Braveheart on the plane from Salt Lake to Atlanta last month and only lost 9 percent over that three hour period, so losing 7 percent in an hour just seemed like a lot quicker drain.

That's why I'm looking for something like JuicePlotter. Something that can tell me what is using the most battery so I can kill or eliminate those apps.
    Last edited by 10-2Graphics; 10-29-2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: added a couple words..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Only 7% an hour?? That's awesome battery life. I've kept track of my battery religiously in all different circumstances since I got my iPad last June. Jailed, jailbroken, watching movies, just music, all of it. I consistantly get 8-9% drain an hour no matter what. Which is a tiny bit better than Apples claim of 10% an hour. Jailbreaking itself only gives you access to your files basically. A jailbreak isn't a program that keep running in the background using resources. Of course SBSettings, Activator & Backgrounder DO run in the background and drain your battery a tiny bit faster. But those are things you install *after a jailbreak. The jailbreak itself doesn't drain a drop of battery.
    Also, it seemsto takesa long time to get from the initial fully charged 100% down to 90%, then from there is where I consstantly get an 8-9% hourly drain.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TwistedPenguin For This Useful Post:

Imahottguy (11-05-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, that is good to hear I guess. The reason I did the jailbreak was for infiniboard and backgrounder, so I sort of need some of those background apps running. I'm happy with a little more battery drain in exchange for those features. I've had it connected to wifi playing around with things for 4 hours today and I'm down to 68% from a full charge when I started, so I guess I can't really complain. I just have a really long flight to Manila in a couple weeks and I'm hoping the battery can hold up to all the use I'm going to put it through on that trip... It will get a bit of juice on my layover in Tokyo and that should work out fine. I just wish it would charge while attached to my PC when the iPad is being used.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Mines says 'not charging' when it's hooked up to my PC but it really is. Not sure why it's lying to me lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I read somewhere that it only charges through the PC when your iPad is in sleep mode. I assume that means when you press the power button at the top or when the screen goes off. I've noticed that it charges very very slowly through that method, so I keep my chargers available just in case.

Has anyone tried charging it through their power outlet in their car? I haven't yet either, but I'm wondering if it would charge while in use that way. It would make my kids happy if that were the case.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default no, nonses
    it doesnt drain battery unless u have any activator plugins on... nothing else
    No sig spam allowed

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apple claims that charging is possible only when connected to a Mac.

Thanks

this is not true..each usb port has the same voltages doesnt matter if its mac or windows...

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psilocybin View Post
    this is not true..each usb port has the same voltages doesnt matter if its mac or windows...
    That's not correct at all actually. Newer Macs have 10v USB power output while older Macs and most PC's have 5v USB power output. This is why when you plug it into your PC it says "not charging"... when the screen goes black it will trickle charge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]