+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: what to do now for my ipad?

is a discussion within the

iPad Jailbreaking

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Hi, everyone, I jailbroke my ipad a while ago, firmwire 3.2. But i didn't save my SHSH. It works well. I sync it with my computer running xp. now this
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default what to do now for my ipad?
    Hi, everyone,

I jailbroke my ipad a while ago, firmwire 3.2. But i didn't save my SHSH. It works well. I sync it with my computer running xp.
    now this computer has been reinstalled so i lost itune9.0.

1. Can i do "reset" to restore to factory and somehow upgrade to 3.2.1, then rejailbreak it?

2. can i keep the already insalled apps and data on my ipad?

Thanks a lot

Thanks

There is a cydia app that backs up your list of apps.
    Correct me if I'm wrong 3.2.1 can be jb
    3.2.2 can't

3. The Following User Says Thank You to psilocybin For This Useful Post:

blueshadow (09-20-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone MacDevil7334's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple is no longer signing 3.2.1, so you would be unable to restore to it unless you saved your SHSHs. If you didn't, you will be forced to restore to 3.2.2, which cannot be jailbroken at this time.

Aside from having to reinstall iTunes, is there any actual reason you need to restore your iPad? If you can keep it running on 3.2 until the next jailbreak comes out, I would suggest you do that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MacDevil7334 View Post
    Apple is no longer signing 3.2.1, so you would be unable to restore to it unless you saved your SHSHs. If you didn't, you will be forced to restore to 3.2.2, which cannot be jailbroken at this time.

Aside from having to reinstall iTunes, is there any actual reason you need to restore your iPad? If you can keep it running on 3.2 until the next jailbreak comes out, I would suggest you do that.
    Thank you.

For the time being, I can work with 3.2. But not sure if i have to keep on 3.2 forever? Do I still have a chance to jailbreak after restoring to 3.2.2 or higher version when relevant jb avaiable? At that time can I save my SHSH? I hope I haven't life sentenced to 3.2 for a simple mistake.

If I reinstall iTunes on my pc, do I have to use iTunes 9.0 as before or I can use higher version of iTunes? Can I sync apps, photos, musics to the pc from my iPad? That way I can sync another way around when I re-jb my iPad, saving the trouble of downloading apps photos from scratch?

Another reason is that I failed to sync contacts from outlook to iPad.

Good night

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blueshadow View Post
    Thank you.

For the time being, I can work with 3.2. But not sure if i have to keep on 3.2 forever? Do I still have a chance to jailbreak after restoring to 3.2.2 or higher version when relevant jb avaiable? At that time can I save my SHSH? I hope I haven't life sentenced to 3.2 for a simple mistake.

If I reinstall iTunes on my pc, do I have to use iTunes 9.0 as before or I can use higher version of iTunes? Can I sync apps, photos, musics to the pc from my iPad? That way I can sync another way around when I re-jb my iPad, saving the trouble of downloading apps photos from scratch?

Another reason is that I failed to sync contacts from outlook to iPad.

Good night
    You can stay on 3.2 as long as you do not have to perform a restore for any reason. If you ever have to restore, you will be forced to the latest version (which is 3.2.2 right now). You can (and should) backup your SHSHs for 3.2.2 right now, even though you are only running 3.2. Google a program called TinyUmbrella and follow the instructions. You should use this program to save your SHSHs every time Apple releases a new firmware, even if you never plan on using it.

You can install the latest iTunes without any problem. You can sync music etc to your iPad, but you will be unable to sync back to iTunes after reinstalling. Apple does not allow you to copy music from your iPad back to the computer, as this could be used to illegally copy music. However, reinstalling iTunes shouldn't delete your music. Do a search for a guide on google and follow it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MacDevil7334 For This Useful Post:

blueshadow (09-21-2010)

Thanks

You can copy all of your music back to your computer using iFile, it is a bit involved, but it works over wifi. (iFile is in Cydia, not the App Store. Well there is an 'iFile' in the App Store, but don't get it, it is from a different dev, and it sucks.)

And actually, I believe MediaMonkey (Windows, Free) will allow you to view the contents of your iPad, and copy all of your music and videos back to your computer. It is much easier than using iFile, not to say that the iFile method was difficult.
    Last edited by Imahottguy; 09-22-2010 at 07:59 AM.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Imahottguy For This Useful Post:

blueshadow (10-03-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default More question
    [QUOTE=MacDevil7334;5467012]You can stay on 3.2 as long as you do not have to perform a restore for any reason. If you ever have to restore, you will be forced to the latest version (which is 3.2.2 right now). You can (and should) backup your SHSHs for 3.2.2 right now, even though you are only running 3.2.

1. when will i have to restore?
    2. is SHSHs different for 3.2, 3.2.1, 3.2.2?
    3. after i backup my SHSHs for 3.2.2, can i re-jb
    my IPAD when jb is avaiable?

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blueshadow View Post
    1. when will i have to restore?
    You will only have to restore if you do something to mess up your iPad. Just be careful what you install from Cydia. Conflicts between jailbreak apps and modifications are the primary cause of restores. As long as you're careful, you should never have to restore.

2. is SHSHs different for 3.2, 3.2.1, 3.2.2?
    Yes, each firmware has a different SHSH associated with it.

3. after i backup my SHSHs for 3.2.2, can i re-jb
    my IPAD when jb is avaiable?
    SHSHs have nothing to do with your ability to jailbreak. Saving an SHSH for a firmware only ensures you will always be able to restore to that firmware in the future. Presumably, the next jailbreak will work on 3.2.2, but it may not. But, jailbreak or no, you will always be able to restore to 3.2.2 if you backup you SHSH.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MacDevil7334 For This Useful Post:

blueshadow (10-03-2010)