+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Security Question for iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad Jailbreaking

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
I understand that you can reset your iPad and jailbreak. I was wondering if you can reset the iPad password just like you could with the iPhone? How secure is
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Security Question for iPad
    I understand that you can reset your iPad and jailbreak. I was wondering if you can reset the iPad password just like you could with the iPhone?

How secure is the iPad, I want to prove to some people that you should not store information on these devices and assume you are protected.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's possible. If you put the device in Dfu mode (device firmware update) and restore it while in Dfu mode you don't get the "this device is password protected" message from iTunes! Then all the person has to do is back up the iPad and once restored they can view any content saved by the backup!

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

If the ipad had password protection implemented on it at the time the iPad was backed up, wouldn't it be implemented again once you restore from the backup?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Agreed. I tested this scenario and you are correct. As a corporation, we would mandate that a password be used, my fear is even with the password someone could break in and view the contents of the iPad.

So far, I can see the following issue:

The passcode is a four digit number, which (with a template looking a smuge marks in portrait and landscape modes) could be "guessed." So I would use the feature to wipe after x amounts of incorrect tries.

Has anyone seen the ability to "remove" the passcode without restoring?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've done this for my wife's iPad when she forgot her code. It didn't back up the passcode!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

But it did on my ipod touch so I'm not sure about that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

it's not like your gonna lose the ipad.

look at the size of it!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am more worried about it being stolen and someone gaining access to the email and files from a corporate perspective.

With the solution mentioned above, the assumption is you forgot your password. If you take the same iPad to another workstation, it will prompt you for the passcode and will not allow you to backup first.

Has anyone heard of a another way to defeat the passcode but not loose the data?

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dude99 View Post
    Agreed. I tested this scenario and you are correct. As a corporation, we would mandate that a password be used, my fear is even with the password someone could break in and view the contents of the iPad.

So far, I can see the following issue:

The passcode is a four digit number, which (with a template looking a smuge marks in portrait and landscape modes) could be "guessed." So I would use the feature to wipe after x amounts of incorrect tries.

Has anyone seen the ability to "remove" the passcode without restoring?
    You can change this so that you can have the password be alphanumeric up to 40 characters long (I believe it's 40 chars but could be mistaken). Sadly I forget how to do this off the top of my head but a simple google search will find it.