Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: use Handy light to tether to iPad from unjailbroken iPhone on 4.0+ (without another PC)

Quote Originally Posted by katmeef View Post
    glad you got it working dsr!
    it was allot of fun playing with this last night, i only slept 2 hours. big thanks to everyone who contributed to make it more efficient and streamlined.
    Thank you! funny thing was i finally got lighttdp installed and then i saw your update

You guys are all a$$holes for making me spend 2 hours trying to get this to work.

I finally succeeded. Not sure what was going wrong, but the only thing I can think of is that when I created the .pac using textedit on my mac, I saved it as a rtf file because there's no option for plain text. For some reason I decided to create the file anew on my pc, using notepad, saved it as a socks.txt, changed it to socks.pac, followed the rest of the instructions in the first post, and it worked.

Thanks!!!

Now, if there was only some appsotre app or other way to create an ad-hoc network without a pc, and we could get this to work with non-JB'ed iPhone and iPads. That would be sweeet for those of us who snagged handylight.

iPhone? More like MyPhone katmeef's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spamdumpster View Post
    Now, if there was only some appsotre app or other way to create an ad-hoc network without a pc, and we could get this to work with non-JB'ed iPhone and iPads. That would be sweeet for those of us who snagged handylight.

You don't need a computer to start the adhoc! That's why you start mywi momentarily on the jailbroke ipad

Default proxy limitations?
    I've got everything working through safari but I've noticed some limitations to the proxy connection. my mail app won't work with my exchange setup gmail, my vnc viewer app says I have no connection. any ideas?

Thanks

yup, gmail and pop3 don't work, as well some other various apps like youtube. not sure how to make them go through the proxy, I think this is as good as it gets till a jailbreak comes out and we can use MyWI again

oh man now to try the new way in a few hrs to tired rght now hahha..

You don't need a computer to start the adhoc! That's why you start mywi momentarily on the jailbroke ipad
    I know. That's why I would love an AppStore app or an "other" way to start the ad-hoc network -- so that you could tether without needing the jailbreak. Right now, the way you have it set up, a jailbreak is needed only for the most innocuous step. Otherwise everything can be done with unjailbroken devices and AppStore apps.

Thanks

I know. That's why I would love an AppStore app or an "other" way to start the ad-hoc network -- so that you could tether without needing the jailbreak. Right now, the way you have it set up, a jailbreak is needed only for the most innocuous step. Otherwise everything can be done with unjailbroken devices and AppStore apps.
    ahh i see what you mean, if the ad-hoc were initialted via some appstore app instead of miwi, handy light would allow tethering between both an unjailbroke iphone and an unjailbroke pad, without a computer to start things up..
    what are the chances another flashlight app comes out that does that? :P

ahh i see what you mean, if the ad-hoc were initialted via some appstore app instead of miwi, handy light would allow tethering between both an unjailbroke iphone and an unjailbroke pad, without a computer to start things up..
    what are the chances another flashlight app comes out that does that? :P
    Does it have to be another easter egg? I have no idea whether apple allows this, but is there an appstore file sharing app (like airshare or download pro) that allows file sharing over an iPhone-created or iPad-creaed ad-hoc network?

Thanks

deleted *nm, the self-generated PAC files don't seem to work with the ipad (they do from my mac, however)
    Last edited by katmeef; 07-22-2010 at 11:32 AM.

deleted *nm, the self-generated PAC files don't seem to work with the ipad (they do from my mac, however)
    You talking about the one that Handylight makes on its own if you visit 13.37.13.37:8080 ?

If the dev had done a little more testing, he might have caught that, and used his 1337 port instead

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x999x View Post
    You talking about the one that Handylight makes on its own if you visit 13.37.13.37:8080 ?

If the dev had done a little more testing, he might have caught that, and used his 1337 port instead :
    yup thats the one

Does it have to be another easter egg? I have no idea whether apple allows this, but is there an appstore file sharing app (like airshare or download pro) that allows file sharing over an iPhone-created or iPad-creaed ad-hoc network?
    I haven't found any apps that do this, would be nice if there were
    Last edited by katmeef; 07-22-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sorry for not being to savvy at this, but I understand every part of this EXCEPT the socks.PAC part.

Could someone detail how to create this file on the iPad? I've gotten everything apparently right, except the ability to create the host file and how the iPad can recognize it.
    Btw, I have issh..,for beyond me to understand how to use it.
    Help would rock please?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockness724 View Post
    Sorry for not being to savvy at this, but I understand every part of this EXCEPT the socks.PAC part.

Could someone detail how to create this file on the iPad? I've gotten everything apparently right, except the ability to create the host file and how the iPad can recognize it.
    Btw, I have issh..,for beyond me to understand how to use it.
    Help would rock please?
    Easiest way would be to make the socks.pac on your computer. if using windows use notepad and ensure it's saved in text format (but not with .txt at the end ), if using mac go to terminal and use pico
    paste in the 3 lines below, save as proxy.pac and use your computers webbrowser to send it over to the iphones webserver.

function FindProxyForURL(url, host) {
    return "SOCKS 13.37.13.37:1337";
    }

Meef,
    You rock brother!
    Now I really wish I could figure out what I've done wrong then. Cause I've done that with my windows pc, still cannot connect to the Internet. As well as the iPad. Smh

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockness724 View Post
    Meef,
    You rock brother!
    Now I really wish I could figure out what I've done wrong then. Cause I've done that with my windows pc, still cannot connect to the Internet. As well as the iPad. Smh
    if the windows PC and the ipad can't get on, i'd suspect the app isn't proxying as it should. Have you tried to power off and on your iphone, and restart handy light?

Yes, I have.

I'm gonna try all over from scratch tho. I'm determined to get this to work.

I appreciate all you've done, and thank you to the others that have posted testimony. Now, I got to put this to work.

Thanks again!

Thanks

yw rockness,
    to troubleshoot there's a few things i might suggest.
    when it's all setup again (if it's not working) i would copy the line from the proxy config on the ipad (http://13.37.13.37:8080/socks.pac) into mobile safari and see if it pulls the .pac from your iphone.
    -if it doesn't, the problem lies with downloadlite not serving the file the ipad needs for proxy config. (or the ip addresses you configured for the ipad and iphone aren't in the same subnet, or your devices arent on the same SSID etc)
    -if it does show you the pac file you created, make sure the pac is also pointing to 13.37.13.37 and port 1337.

if that's happening and you have handylight showing purple, it should work!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to katmeef For This Useful Post:

rockness724 (07-26-2010)

Default Success!
    Meef,
    I finally got it to work! I'm actually typing this on my wifi iPad using my network! Your the best man and thank you!

Works great!

Thanks

Awesome, glad you got it working

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast